Reefoholic's New 20 Gallon

(edited)

Here are some update pictures after I added bunch of stuff last night. Thanks to bk_market who organized the GBs and thanks to mr.holiday for giving me a ride home.

Here we go...

Ricordea rock

5759843228_baaa5fdf0c_b.jpg

clam

5759300621_4295a2187e_b.jpg

Strawberry Shortcake Frag

5759844616_7cedf02878_b.jpg

Hair Lime Rhodactis

5759845290_10acb0c359_b.jpg

Green Bali Slimer SPS frag that bk_market so graciously has given me, sweet!

5759844316_98cf71b635_b.jpg

Right Middle Corner

5759846544_d88a7a28d8_b.jpg

Orange Superman Rhodactis

5759846966_9dcd54a4a4_b.jpg

Full Tank view

5759845674_67eba3728a_b.jpg

BTW I dunno what has been going on with my Leather Coral. It seems to be upset for a long time now. Usually, it is all pumped up and there is crazy polyp extension but lately there are some white patches at the tips and it is pretty small. It is firm to touch so I don't think there is any tissue lost going on but I am not sure.

Any suggestions?

Edited by Reefoholic

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice man. That blue maxima look huge in the back.

You should get some black background for your tank. It will make your coral pop much more and hide the equipment.

I also like the ricordea island alot. Wait a couple day and they will spread the whole rock. Look awesome.

I am not so sure about the leather but my toadstool sometime go for weeks without opening up all the way.

Recommendations for LFSs in San Francisco Bay Area? I am here visiting family and is there a better way to spend your vacation time but checking out LFSs cross country?? lol!

Thanks!

I've read most of the thread through and probably missed the obvious, but any plans to make the back of the tank black?

Yeah! Actually I am contemplating moving everything and spray painting the back, that's why it has been like that for a while. It is a P.I.T.A to remove the lighting and cover everything up to insulate for the spray paint. I might glue black background in the back.

Does it look so bad with no background?

Any suggestions?

I've read most of the thread through and probably missed the obvious, but any plans to make the back of the tank black?

The tank is spectacular as is, I think a black back ground would make it look more crisp, 2 suggestions, 1 going to your LFS or petco/walmart/petsmart etc and getting the standard black back ground on a roll, very carefully cut it so it fits between the two rims of the tank directly on the glass. its easier to just tape it to the rim and let it sit like that. The issue is that if you just tape it to the rim any drips and drops will appear as saltcreep between the back ground and the tank glass. Where if you tape it under the rim and drips or drops should fall right past the back ground or run down the back and be un noticed.

The other one I think looks a little cleaner and leaves more options is...

Measure the space between the rims i.e. from top edge of bottom rim, and bottom edge of top rim just like you did for the back ground method. Of course you're also measureing your left and right width as well. Take those measurements to home depot or lowes, and get their (1/4") acrylic ask them to cut it to those dimensions (maybe just a tad shorter (because its a pita to shave down the acrylic if its a little to big.) Now take that piece of acrylic and spray it with krylon fusion and use it as your back ground (krylon can apparently be purchased at walmart only thses days), or rough up said piece of acrylic on the side you want to paint and then you can use cheapo spray paint and pick gloss black, flat black, matte black, sparkly black, hot pink blue etc. what ever your heart desires, and if you decide you don't like it flip it over and pain the other side. And viola! you've got an easy to use back ground you can slide right into the back of your tank and you never have to remove anything! Take a read and let me know if you have any questsions.

(edited)

Thanks Jason,

I might do the acrylic background method. My only problem with that would be the suction cups I use to hold the return pipes in place... Also, do you know for sure if they cut acrylic to custom sizes? I was trying to get some wood cut for my DIY light fixture that I built at home (I can post the plans to the DIY section for anyone interested) , but they told me that the smallest I could get anything cut is 2' X 2' which does not make any sense to me. I am gonna look into this tho.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Edited by Reefoholic

I'm 98.3% sure they cut to custom sizes they both did last time I was there. ALso I'm seeing no problems with your Rena suction cups, just install the acrylic, then suction the suction cups to the acrylic. You're tank is freakin beautiful by the way, I think you'll be really happy with the black back ground. I really really hope that frilly mushroom makes it. When you get the chance, buy yourself a st.thomas rhodactis. :)

Don't question it just do it.

As for the whole back ground, including driving, getting supplies, letting it dry enough, and putting it into place. It should take you less tha 3 hours, and you can do anything else while it is drying. 30-40 mins hands on time if you don't including drying

Thanks! i love this hobby! I mean I eat, drink, breath this hobby!

How would I secure the acrylic on the back of my tank you think? I could tape it around the corners maybe!

Also, I just purchased a Marine Magic dosing pump with three heads from Ebay to dose Cal, Alk and Mag (or maybe BioFuel or KoralColor). I have read very good things about this pump on RC and wanted to give it a try. ideas? Or anyone using this dosing pump?

Marine Magic Dosing Pump $149

I'm 98.3% sure they cut to custom sizes they both did last time I was there. ALso I'm seeing no problems with your Rena suction cups, just install the acrylic, then suction the suction cups to the acrylic. You're tank is freakin beautiful by the way, I think you'll be really happy with the black back ground. I really really hope that frilly mushroom makes it. When you get the chance, buy yourself a st.thomas rhodactis. :)

Don't question it just do it.

As for the whole back ground, including driving, getting supplies, letting it dry enough, and putting it into place. It should take you less tha 3 hours, and you can do anything else while it is drying. 30-40 mins hands on time if you don't including drying

Holy crap thats a cheap pump, I wasn't going to dose but at that price, let me know how that works out.

I would try strong packing tape from the top and bottom rim would probably be your best bet. You could come up with something more contrived but I don't see why if you can KISS it, than leave it be. if it doesn't work you could take scrap acrylic and make little brackets to hang the back ground off the rim.

I need to head out to the Home Depot soon. Meanwhile I also found this deal on Ebay. It is a company based out of California, as the name suggests, and people have been saying good things about them. Here is the link ChillMaster Fan.

It is a good deal at $11 off which makes up for the shipping fee.

I am planning on clipping this on the back, hitting the light canopy. I get couple degrees of water temp rise up during the day because of the MH and T5s.

Check it out!

Holy crap thats a cheap pump, I wasn't going to dose but at that price, let me know how that works out.

I would try strong packing tape from the top and bottom rim would probably be your best bet. You could come up with something more contrived but I don't see why if you can KISS it, than leave it be. if it doesn't work you could take scrap acrylic and make little brackets to hang the back ground off the rim.

These will be higher up and hopefully won't splash much water. I am fairly confident that this will work, lol!

<br />You can make fans and pretty or variable as you want but if they aren't highly rust/water resistant than forget it.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

These will be higher up and hopefully won't splash much water. I am fairly confident that this will work, lol!

<br /><br /><br />

Splash is usually no the issue, its just creep from evap causing corrosion, you can treat the coil area of the fan every once in the while using high temp grease non conducting grease.

Just ordered a Rock-Mag Jr. to utilize the sides of the tank better. Now I can buy more SPS... lol! I am actually thinking of moving the Strawberry monti up on the rock-mag so that I can get that natural off the edge look.

Can't wait for my new toys to arrive.

Received my ATI Blue Plus T5s today. Wow! What a change! All the colors are intense neon and finally my drags look like Mr.Coral's... Deep purples, oranges and neon greens and yellows. Highly recommended!

BTW, I am still waiting on my dosing pump till the end if this week to ship from Hong Kong. I will keep you guys updated on that.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an overdue update. I am still waiting for my dosing pump to arrive (It has cleared customs in NYC 2 days ago so it should be here any day now), and in the meanwhile I observed the calcium and alkalinity consumption over 5 days and found out that I lose a ton of both. I am manually dosing Brightwell Reef Code A and B daily. I dose 15 ml of A and 4 ml of B. The tank inhabitants have not been happier sleep.gif. I am getting great growth...

Here are some pictures that I took today:

Blue tip Staghorn (from Marine Scene)

5819550872_102a4cf321_b.jpg

ORA Green Bird's Nest (Notice the crazy growth please)

5819551350_b722a1eefb_b.jpg

Clam and Ric corner

5818988711_88489e152d_b.jpg

Full tank shot. I got one of those Rock-Mags and now my Strawberry Monti and the Blue Tip Staghorn are residing there, in the Penthouse!

5819551788_1d20d8247b_b.jpg

Here is my AVAST MR5 with PhosBan and Carbon in it...

5819551524_4fa6d1558b.jpg

Please do not hesitate to provide feedback! I learn a great deal from you guys suggestions as a young reefer wink.gif

(edited)

Please do not hesitate to provide feedback! I learn a great deal from you guys suggestions as a young reefer wink.gif

Black background :happy:

You're tank looks great though

Whoa whoa whoa where did you get that purple grogornia? Is it really thin with yellowish polyps? My entire colony died as did the one frag I gave out as redundancy.

Edited by jason the filter freak

Black background :happy:

You're tank looks great though

DUDE! I knew you were gonna say that as I clicked on "add reply", lol! I am working on it. I need to go to the Home Depot. Work has been just crazy lately!

Thanks bro!

DUDE! I knew you were gonna say that as I clicked on "add reply", lol! I am working on it. I need to go to the Home Depot. Work has been just crazy lately!

Thanks bro!

Give me measurements of what i described to you earlier and I'll bring it to you personally and spray it with black krylon tomorrow afternoon for a frag of that purple grogornian if its the one I think it is.

What do you think it is? It is a purple gorgonian. I might go out of town for the weekend but thanks for the offer bro. I will be more than happy to give you a frag of the gorgonian for the black background. I will PM you tomorrow.

I thought it was a regular purple gorgonian. It has mini yellow polyps and nice deep purple skeleton.

Man, looking great! Looks like you've been busy!

It's been so long since I was in SF but 6th ave aquarium was good back then.

Thanks to OldReefer, I am now a proud owner of the most awesome Purple Slimer frag. (and he gave me a nice frag of red monti as well)

Here are some pics:

5822480960_37b29d852d.jpg

5821916511_04b430afc0.jpg

5822480144_5213506fa9_z.jpg