New B and New Tank

matt bills

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.wamas.org/forums/gallery/image/11064-stand-tank-and-hoodjpg/ here are the results of my weekend work on the 120 aga tank. I setup the stand, tank and did some plumbing dumping 1 pipe into the refuge and 1 pipe into skimmer chamber. Setup the return pump and put in all bulk heads. My refuge is only 3 inches can i put in some sand rock and chateos?

Next I am going to work on the hood the ficture is to close to the side so i need think i need build some vents in the side of the canapy.

thanks

matt

Yep, I agree, probably a sponge. It could also be a tunicate (cant tell for sure from the picture), but my money is on sponge.

3" should fit some rubble rock, and a little chaeto. Just make sure the chaeto has light and water flow.

I am not very familiar with chaeto, since I have none yet. What I know is what I have been told by other wamas members. Or researched myself. So if I am wrong, as always please someone correct me.

Cheato is pretty easy to keep. I've heard of it living under PC lights. I know it will live under T5, as for MH I believe a refugium your size would almost be overkill to have anything above a 75W MH. LED's should work too.

If the refugium does not already have a steady flow, then yes a small powerhead may be needed. Could we get a picture of it? Also, does it already have water flow? If so, what from? I believe most refugiums come with either a small powerhead or are built into the sumps main water flow path.

As for your hood vents, airflow helps!!! Just some evidence of that, is a popular web site that has a calculator to figure out how much power your chiller needs. I do not remember the sites name right now... (>.<) but when you enter your info, if you have cooling fans it to chops power you need by half!

I will take a picture of it tonight and add it to the string no water yet just building. The sump was a DIY sold to me for a great price. I have an extra powerhead i will see when i turn everything on. I will have to get a chiller .

chillers are great, but if you don't have too much heat going in. The evaporation can pullout all the heat you need. Especially if its in a basement, and you run your AC. Besides a chiller is just another fridge. So make sure you need it first.

A chiller can be very useful. I'm not saying to avoid it. Just I would rather you not get something more powerful than you need. Or buy something from fear rather than reason.

Also kind going someone would help me find that site!! Lol, I'm looking into one for my system too.

Are you planning on using that open water space? If not, then by all means give your refugium some extra space. The more space it has the more pods it can grow.

I don't know what I would use that space for so I guess I will move it over some. Leave a little room for heaters. Can I just add a single piece of pexi glass or does it have to be a baffle

(edited)

Well, the only reason for baffles is to avoid bubbles everywhere. So I'd suggest keeping them. You could probably slide the baffles over a good 7-8". The heater needs plenty of water flow to do its job. When you make its area a little smaller you increase the speed of the water through that area. So it could help a bit on both sides.

Edited by LanglandJoshua

Think of it like a pipe, smaller diameter= faster flow. Faster flow pulls more heat from the heater. I used to have low flow on a heater, it was strong 300W. But since it had low flow in the sump, I was thinking the heater wasn't working right. Now the same heater is heating a 130 gal system, and soon to be a 290!