New B and New Tank

matt bills

Good to know - for two reasons. First, the ammonia reading that you're getting in the tank is not coming from your change water. And, second, your test kit is able to read 0. My guess is that the low level of ammonia you're seeing is probably due to the recent livestock addition, then. It'll settle out soon, I'm sure.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see copepods, but they're pretty small so I may just be missing them. I do see diatoms starting. It's normal when starting out a new tank.

I see, though, that you attached a 1.x MB jpeg to your post. I'll let you know that we have very limited space in each account to post pictures directly in posts like this. A better way is to either start a WAMAS gallery and link to the image in the gallery, or to upload to photobucket (or some other image hosting site) and insert their IMG code into your post.

Could be - could be worms, too. Get a good magnifying glass. You'll be absolutely amazed at the life in the sandbed.

Did you see symptoms? Rapid breathing? Do a 50% water change if you've got water standing by (it's always a good idea to have some standing by) since your ammonia levels are up. I'm not sure why your ammonia level is climbing unless there was too much bioload added at once, because the fish was dead in the tank for some time before removal, or overfeeding, but do the water change and slow up on the feeding for a couple of days.

Are you feeding flake or pelleted food? What kind of mechanical filtration is there in the nanocube? Could food be getting washed into and trapped in some mechanical filtration (like filter floss) and decaying there?

One of the bigger damsels has been chacing all four around since day one. The dead fish has been swimming down the back of the tank head facing down for a week with another damsel. Once dead he wasnt in the tank for long. I say him go under a rock and lay on the sand. I am feed frozen food fish and coral 1/2 cube brown and 1/2 cube green once a day. Yes there are two flosses white and black and carbon at the bottom in my filtration i have been cleanning it out 1 time a week. Some of the food is probably getting trapped in the top floss but i clean it every other day. I have not set up my water station yet. I have 5 gallons mixed and am worikng on 5 more today. The two day airation mix time is killing me. I am mixing with two 1200 power heads

Thanks Tom for the help

Some damsels can be aggressive. That's likely what happened here. It sure sounds like a lot of food, though, that you're feeding. 1 cube a day for four small fish. I'll sometimes do frozen, and when I do, I'll feed 3 cubes or so for a 180 gallon display with something like 14 larger fish in it (I've lost count). I recommend that, at the very least, you thaw and rinse the food before introducing it in the tank. Also, cut back on how much you feed. Give light feedings once, maybe twice a day - no more than they can eat in about 90 seconds to 2 minutes. Remove any leftovers if they don't get to it.

Ok i will cut back on the food. I take some tank water out and just put the food in it to thaw but didn't rise, how do you rinse the food? Should i take out the aggressive fish?

After it's thawed, strain it through a net. I'll often use a brine shrimp net for this (when I do it) but any net small enough to drain away the liquid and keep the solids will work fine. If the fish are getting along now, see how it goes.

I saw a star on my glass almost ran over him with magnaflot. Cool cool cool. Came from live rock or cup of sand at f&f. Thanks sean

If it was tiny and almost clear, it was probably a hydroid jelly. You see them in new tanks when they show up on the glass. They'll disappear as the tank matures over the next few months.

Scroll down about halfway down this pageand see if this is what you saw.

It looks like an Asterina star from the silhouette. I'm not crazy about them. There are mixed reports of their being coral predators. Some have no problems with them. Others have had problems with them, mostly with zoanthids. Even some here, once in the "no problem here" camp, have converted to the "I'm having a problem with them" camp.

http://www.garf.org/STAR/starfish.shtml This is the original story about them that I read that labeled them predatory.

Google "asterina star zoanthid" to see other stories.