New B and New Tank

matt bills

Wait for the nitrite to drop to zero before adding livestock now. It sounds like you're very close to completing cycling. Since you started with live rock, you're ahead of the game now.

What do you have to test your salinity? What is your salinity reading? What are you using for your water source? RO/DI or tap water? Your pH seems higher than I would expect. I'm suspecting that it's the kit. What are your alkalinity and your calcium levels? You may want to have your parameters confirmed by another hobbyist or by Sean if you go by his place again soon.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Salinity is 1.023. The salt water I bought from Sean. I will test them now and I just added a 1200 power head from extra protien Skimmer I had

Sean uses RO/DI. You're going to want to elevate your salinity if you're going to keep corals. Nominally, for reef tanks, you want your salinity at 1.0264 (or 35ppt). If you're going fish-only, then 1.023 is fine. I wouldn't go lower than 1.025 for corals, though. You can let your salinity creep up a little by topping off with salt water over the next week or so.

Are you using a refractometer or a hydrometer to take your salinity readings?

Take another pH reading tomorrow after the water has circulated a while and see if it's still reading as high as today.

(edited)

Hydrometer.

Please understand that when using a Hydrometer you have to adjust your reading to account for water temperature. There are calculators online.

Edited by John

Hydrometer. The Cal is around 400 and all Is 2.8 if I took it right. I used .7 of the all pro to get the color

A refractometer is more accurate and reliable, but with a reading of 1.023, I think that you probably got it right. The alkalinity is a on the low side of normal at 2.8 meq/l (which is equal to 7.84 dKH) but, if you let the tank drift up to 1.0264 through evaporation, both alkalinity and calcium will be right on target. (Your alk level tells me that your pH reading is probably higher than it really is.)

Let your nitrates zero out (it should only be a day or two now) and add your CUC.

Your temperature (at 77) is good.

Ammonia is up it seems. Do you have any idea why that is? I would not let it get higher than 1 PPM if you have any substantial life on the rock (sponges, plants, etc.) and do a 50% water change. If there is anything obviously decaying that is contributing to the elevated ammonia, siphon it off.

Well, take it slow then. Test every day, but wait at least another three or four days before introducing livestock. Let things settle.

Salinity is 1.023. The salt water I bought from Sean. I will test them now and I just added a 1200 power head from extra protien Skimmer I had

Your hydrometer is off, I mix my saltwater (for reefs) to 1.026

Well, take it slow then. Test every day, but wait at least another three or four days before introducing livestock. Let things settle.

+1, I couldn't remember if we told you to add the shrimp for cyling or not, but once your levels zero and you see nitrate, do as Tom recommended and add a few hermits and snails. i like to then black the tank, add pods and feed phyto for 2 weeks. this will ensure that you have a very large microfauna population, you can come to me for a cup of sand chock full'o pods. shrimp pellets for whatever reason really help me reproduce pods.

After that start cycling your lights on and maintain alk, ca, and iodine and you should have plenty of mictrofauna and coralline algae to give nuisance algae a run for its money. The ability of large copepods, amphipod, and mysid populations to reduce waste I think is not always given is due credit. I think its especially important in smaller tanks as pod populations really help with nutrient management.

Thanks Sean and Tom i will have to get a refractormeter. As soon as I see nitrates I will be in for those things. What does black the tank mean? This is fun..

"Blacking" the tank means to run it with the lights off. If you can cover the panels to further darken it, you can do that, too.

Also, Matt, until you get a salinity reading you can trust, top off with fresh water rather than letting it evaporate down. Since Sean mixed it up to 1.026, your 1.023 reading is probably not accurate (unless you had somehow diluted it along the way).

A refractometer is the best common instrument for measuring salinity. Yes, I recommend having one.

Thanks Sean I need to get some more water tonight I think I need to do some water change out.

Today's readings

Amm .25

nitri. .2

Nitra 0

Ph 8.6 +

Alk 2.8

Cal 400

Sal 1.024