John's 57G Rimless

John

(edited)

My previous 30G tank was my first reef and from the moment of introducing the first frag of zoas I was hooked. That tank had its successes and its failures, but most importantly it inspired me, educated me, and always kept me motivated to do better. After keeping that tank for over a year I decided that I would need more real estate to acheive the things I wanted to get out of the hobby, and so this 57G Rimless has been born.

Equipment list:

Deep Blue 57G Rimless

29G Sump

Reef Octopus Super Reef 1000 Skimmer

IceCap 250W Metal Halide Ballast/Pendant

Mag 5 Return Pump

NextReef MR1

Koralia #2 Powerheads

Blueline 250W Titanium Heater

DA ReefKeeper2

AquaFX Barracuda RO/DI

I really enjoy woodworking, and so there was no question I would build the aquarium stand. I find most manufactured stands to be too short and I like to be eye-level with the tank, so I made the stand kitchen countertop height. I also incorporated some features that are rarely found on manufactured stands. I made each side accessible by putting the raised panel doors on hinges, I created a ledge that wraps the tank and hides the plastic base trim, and I finished the interior with spar urethane. Oh, and its made of real wood! :)

gallery_2632034_906_550651.jpg

My previous tank used tubing and I really liked the 'flexiblity' of tubing, but I wanted to experience the challenge of hard plumbing a tank since I had never done it before, now had I ever worked with PVC before. I wanted to keep the same flexibilty as my previous tank, so I quickly realized how valuable unions and valves really are in plumbing design. Thankfully, my buddy had all the tools to work with PVC and we were able to knock it out in a day...I am extremely satisfied how well the plumbing came out.

gallery_2632034_906_354582.jpg

Tank has been up for a week with some new rock:

(please excuse the Xenia, I just fragged it)

gallery_2632034_906_281326.jpg

Stayed tuned...

Edited by John

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Nice looking tank. I really like those royal blue looking mushrooms. Makes me want to give up on sps, and get some nice mushrooms. Nothing beats the motion of large soft corals in a tank.

Nice looking tank. I really like those royal blue looking mushrooms. Makes me want to give up on sps, and get some nice mushrooms. Nothing beats the motion of large soft corals in a tank.

I agree. Those blue mushrooms make the whole tank pop! :biggrin:

Nice tank. Those Deepblue tanks are pretty.

John

The tank looks awesome

Where did u get those blue mushrooms? I need some. Can u pm me the info. Thks

Or if you want to trade some, I have some sps Frags available

Edited by epleeds

• 4 weeks later...
(edited)

I had the pleasure of meeting several WAMAS members over the past 4 weeks to obtain some new additions. I've also switched to a 20K Radium, added a fan inside the stand, finally got the skimmer dialed in, and have nailed down my husbandry/maintenance routine.

gallery_2632034_906_398431.jpg

Edited by John

• 3 months later...

So, my tank sitter failed to stop by the house...Lost most of my SPS due to the Alk/CA drop...since I have not yet automated Alk/CA buffer. Continuing to supplement CA, but still low...LPS is doing great...had to move the torch coral a little further from the Duncan, I hope the warfare has ceased. Added a Wellos and cleaner shrimp recently.

gallery_2632034_906_77707.jpg

tank is looking great. sorry to hear that about the sps. i've been using a marine magic dosing pump to automate things. it's a pretty good deal in terms of automating 2 part that you may want to consider.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

February:

gallery_2632034_906_88415.jpg

Today:

gallery_2632034_906_13151.jpg

Added ORA Mandarin a few months ago, eating prepared foods...

Recently lost Duncan for reasons I cannot explain...hope to create a clam corner in the front left now that the Duncan won't be shadowing it...regret trading my other clams now...oh well...

Chalice didn't like the Halide or the Shade...no more chalices for me...

All other livestock not pictured has moved to my new biocube...

• 3 months later...

Still missing Duncan, but the replacements are doing well...Garf Bonsai lost its color...can't find its happy place...it will probably find a new home soon...

Mama Clown had been very aggressive to all tank mates a few months ago...lost my ORA Mandarin and two Chromis...thinking about getting rid of the remaining Chromis...and just running Clown pair...

This what it looks like today:

gallery_2632034_906_165357.jpg

Edited by John