Any T5 only users?

Kingumar

Been doing some research on t5 and saw some great tanks on other forums. Any t5 only users here? Let's see some pics.

Let me know how sucessfull you have been with them. Im thinking about doing 6x54 ati sunpower for my 90 sps dominated.

Lots of T5 users here, including me. I am waiting to see what happens with LED lighting, maybe will switch eventually to LEDs, but for now am happy with the T5s. I think the main thing about T5s is that they don't create the shimmer effect that halides do, and some people don't mind sacrificing a lot of money just to get a shimmer effect.

I use a T5 / LED unit. I couldnt be more pleased with it. You get some shimmer when all lights are on, you get lots of shimmer when only the actinic and LEDs are on. Lighting is really a matter of personal choice, I went from T5s to Halides and Back to T5s. Personally I have no interest in an ALL LED set up anymore, im just not impressed with it. I think the ATI unit is a great choice, they have proven to perform incredibly, you wont be disappointed. And one of ther thing I really like about T5s now is the great variety of bulb choices out there... Here os a link to the unit I use..

http://www.finnex.net/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&category_id=4&product_id=126&Itemid=61&vmcchk=1&Itemid=61

I think if you go t5 the ATI would be the way to go. I believe the 6x54 would be the right fit for your 90.

The only thing I personally did not like was the the blue tint to the water it gave. I felt it looked like a bottle of windex, literally. It could have been my bulb choices, but i tried quite a few. But you can grow sps with them.

I went back to halides and went with 400w radiums and couldn't be happier. I feel my colors are much better with halides.

Just my opinion.

Sent from my DROIDX

I used T5's on my 75g tank when I had it set up. Went cheap and got a Sunlight Supply 8x54 light but I really liked the light and it did well for me. Put 250w MH on my 180 when I set it up.

i used to use T5's and loved it, went to LED's and it was ok, and now i am back to t5's for a while, you can definitely keep SPS, clams, basically whatever. There are may bulb combinations you can do, my new bulb line up is the following, and they are on a 24" Sundial fixture.

ATI Purple Plus

ATI Blue Plus

ATI True Actinic

UVL Aquasun

I have run a 4-bulb on my 90 gallon for 3 or 4 years now. T5s are tried and true. There are some incredible tanks out there lit by just T5s.

Jon

I have retro fit 4x T5 over my 55 which I am very happy with. After that I got a Outer Orbit Pro series (150w hqi + 4x T5 + LED) to put over my 30g. Which looks awesome, but it's overkill imo. I built a DIY LED light for a 9g that got too moist one day and shorted out. But all of that will be going away and I will be going back to T5s when I finish setting up my 135 (if ever). Over that I will be putting a 14x39w T5 Aquactintics Constellation.

I decided to ditch the hallides for two reasons. Cost and heat factors from the hallides and I keep seeing TOTM in RK mag that are purely T5s. I will be interested in LEDs, but I am waiting for the 5W LEDs to come down in cost and become more mainstream.

I have run a 4-bulb on my 90 gallon for 3 or 4 years now. T5s are tried and true. There are some incredible tanks out there lit by just T5s.

Jon

Yours is only a 4 bulb unit. that is just crazy.....

thanks everyone for the suggestion and comments. my fixture should be here in a couple of days.

I have retro fit of 6x T5's on my 90. I overdrive four with IceCap 660 ballast. LPS, SPS, Clam, and softies. Never a problem.

Should be POST 1000 for me!

do you have any pictures of ur tank?

Also, does anyone have their fixture hanging? the ATI i ordered can only be hung. Do you have to take it down every time u have to install bulbs? Whats a good was to hang them to the ceiling so it doesn't come crashing on my tank? also, how high should it be from the tank so its easy maintenance, etc?

Edited by Kingumar

I took mine down to change bulbs, used to open the doors on the stand and lay the light on them to change the bulbs out. You should order a hanging kit designed for the light fixture, they usually come with ceiling anchors, and usually a adjustable wire. I have a hanging kit for a sunlight supply T5 light around here somewhere that may work, it's worked on 2 different T5 fixtures. I think I had mine about 8"-10" off the water but to be that close it has to have a splash shield to keep the water out

I think the fixture comes with the hanging kit. Im just nervous putting it on. Too afraid it will fall lol.

The hanging kit will have instructions, follow them and you won't have a problem. Hardest part is figuring out exactly where to drill the holes in the ceiling for the light to hang straight since most walls aren't square so it won't work to measure off of the wall. Go to the store and get a plumb bob, lay the light on the tank where you want it and drop the plumb bob down from the ceiling and move it around until it is over the mounting hole, mark, check for stud, drill or screw as applicable.

Edited by Big Country