Bunaken Island - North Sulawesi, Indonesia

OUsnakebyte

This is a long-overdue photo sharing, as this trip is from last March 2010. I spent a week on Bunaken Island off the northwest tip of Sulawesi in the heart of the coral traingle. It's a trip I have wanted to do for about the past 7 years, and it finally happened. The diversity is so incredibly amazing - I've never seen 100% coral coverage like there was on these fringing reefs. Absolutely spectacular. Enjoy.

Oh, and I'm coral and other invert biased, so don't expect too many fish pics... :biggrin:

Cheers

Mike

Tunicates.jpg

Okay, here is a fish - hiding in an Invert!!

TrumpetfishCrinoid.jpg

Okay, fine - here's a mega-vertebrate for you...

Turtle.jpg

TurtleFlying.jpg

T. gigas... awesome...

ThreeAmigos.jpg

Now THAT'S a table...

TableMacro.jpg

UndertheTable.jpg

Table4.jpg

TableCoral3.jpg

Tableandreef2.jpg

Table2.jpg

Tableinsand.jpg

Probably my favorite photo of the trip - a squat lobster in a Crinoid. I'm simply a sucker for an invert living on/in another invert...

SquatLobster.jpg

More to come soon...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, very nice photos!

I love the polycarpa aurata pic (tried keeping it in my tank a couple of times, but never for very long :()

Wow, very nice photos!

I love the polycarpa aurata pic (tried keeping it in my tank a couple of times, but never for very long :()

Those giant, painted tunicates were simply everywhere, and they stuck out like sore thumbs. It's one of those things where I had to take a picture of every one I saw on every dive for the first few dives. And finally it was like, meh... another giant purple and yellow tunicate - yawn... :rollface:

Superwoman Mary, on the wall...

Superwoman.jpg

SpongeandReef.jpg

It's satisfying to see this on the reef...

RoseBTA.jpg

This was by far the biggest table I saw the whole week. I can't believe these things start out life as a larvae the size of a pinhead...

ReefShot6.jpg

ReefShot5.jpg

Ned on the reef...

ReefShot4.jpg

A few Sarcophytons...

ReefShot3.jpg

Look at that coral coverage! There's hardly any space unoccupied!?!?!?

ReefShot2.jpg

Everything grows on everything.

ReefShot1.jpg

If you can't tell, I *heart* table corals... :wub:

ReefandTable.jpg

NedandTable.jpg

Purple LTA!!!

PurpleLTA.jpg

Cleaning station, and it's oddly satisfying to see GSPs in the wild too...

Puffer.jpg

I think Mary took this photo:

puffer2.jpg

Another one for you, Chad...

OneTunicate.jpg

Nudi!

Nudibranch2.jpg

Finally, someone got a pic of me - Hangin'

Mike2.jpg

And, this is about how I felt ALL WEEK!

MikeBasking.jpg

Cheers

Mike

(edited)

I call it, "Snowy."

Marygorgonian.jpg

Mary and the turtle...

MaryandTurtle.jpg

Remember what I said about :wub: ing table corals...

MaryandTable.jpg

They have to be just overflowing with cuteness, even if they are "Nemo."

magnificaandnemo.jpg

Iconic reef fish...

Idol.jpg

Looks like Rik's green table

GreenTable.jpg

CLAM!!

GoldClam.jpg

You don't see me...

FishAcro.jpg

Glowing Favid...

Favia.jpg

Dwarf Lionfish

DwarfLion.jpg

Nudis caught in the act - mating!

NudibranchsMating.jpg

So pretty

DSCF1165.jpg

All about the coral

CrinoidandAcro.jpg

Purty...

CoralMacro1.jpg

Trying to hide and lock in:

ClownTrigger.jpg

Don't touch me!

AnemoneCrab.jpg

I took sooooooo many photos. This is all I have uploaded to photobucket for now. I'll have to get the rest uploaded soon.

Cheers

Mike

Edited by OUsnakebyte

That has to be some of the best reef pictuers I have seen in awhile. Lately it has been nothing but stressed reefs with bleaching coral. It is nice to see that there are still areas that are flourishing. What was the water temperature in that area?

(edited)

That has to be some of the best reef pictuers I have seen in awhile. Lately it has been nothing but stressed reefs with bleaching coral. It is nice to see that there are still areas that are flourishing. What was the water temperature in that area?

Well, Bunaken is a marine park and has been since - I think the 90s? At least, that is when the last blast fishing was happening there. But, they still allow fishing there, at least for the locals. The coral coverage was amazing, but all week, I didn't see one big fish or shark, save one Napoleon Wrasse - that's it. So, tons of little fish and no big fish. I hope it is not on the verge of collapsing.

Re the temp, it would fluctuate from mid 70s (~75) to high 70s, depending on if there was an up-current (bringing in cooler waters from below) or down-current (bringing warmer water from near shore and the reef crest). And, it could easily change mid dive! If there as an up-current, you would have to stay away from the wall, or you would get pushed up; if it was a down-current, you would need to almost hug the wall or get pushed down, further and further... Under Pressure, ding-ding-ding-da-da-ding-ding (repeat).

I'm glad I got there when I did, as 2010 was one of the worst - and may turn out to be the worst - bleaching events on record, and Indonesia was hit very hard. I have not heard if this section of the world escaped, but I'd love to go back and survey!!!

I didn't want to be a Debbie-Downer, but I did take a shot of a reef that had been blasted back in the 90s and STILL had not shown significant signs of recovery.

BlastFish.jpg

Doesn't that just rip your heart out? Ugh, it's so depressing to think of that.

Cheers - sort of...

Mike

Edited by OUsnakebyte

WOW! More pics! More pics! These are all amazing!!! And just for the sake of being nit picky, your "dwarf lionfish" is actually a fu manchu lionfish and a gorgeous one at that! I planned to attempt one of them a while back but it only lasted a couple hours from shipping...

(edited)

Wow, incredible site. Next time take me along! Was that the Deloaches and Mary Hagerdorn with you? I'm offering to be your cabin boy and carry your dive tanks next time!

Heh... Spending time with Ned and Anna Deloach in Indonesia would be more than the trip of a lifetime. That would be... dang, I don't even know what I would call that...

No, that is Mary's husband Ned. I was able to make this trip b/c SECORE had a coral spawning workshop in Singapore last April for which I was one of the workshop organizers, and we took the week before to scoot on over to Sulawesi, b/c well, let's face it... If I'm going to that side of the world, I'm bringing back memories of Indonesia with me.

It's b/c of that Singapore spawning workshop that this trip was made possible. I have buckets of photos of that portion of the trip too - just haven't uploaded them yet.

WOW! More pics! More pics! These are all amazing!!! And just for the sake of being nit picky, your "dwarf lionfish" is actually a fu manchu lionfish and a gorgeous one at that! I planned to attempt one of them a while back but it only lasted a couple hours from shipping...

Yeah, I know that is a "Fu Manchu" lion, but I was told (unreliably, maybe?) that that name was no longer PC...??? I dunno... That was actually on a night dive, and when I saw the little guy, I did sputter an excited, mumbled "Fu Manchu LION!!!" through the bubbles exiting my regulator. As with most nocturnals, he didn't enjoy having his picture taken and scooted away very quickly - all the side profile shots came out blurry... :dry:

Edited by OUsnakebyte

A. rainfordi goby

DSCF1654.jpg

Oyster with some tubastrea epiphytes

DSCF1253.jpg

Back to the mega-verts with a head shot:

DSCF0193.jpg

Back to the tridacnids, which I think is a T. crocea, since they bury themselves down like this

DSCF0438.jpg

The boats that took us to the reefs; check the calm water behind

DSCF1503.jpg

More inverts!

DSCF1612.jpg

Gotta love tunicates, especially with the sweet monti behind

DSCF1637.jpg

Another nudi!

DSCF1674.jpg

Wire coral goby, I think... on a wire coral

DSCF1762.jpg

Remember what I said about being a sucker for an invert on an invert? Check it - TWO for the price of ONE! shrimp and cuke on the Heliofungia!

DSCF1135.jpg

(edited)

Wonderful pics! - were you on a liveaboard or did you take a boat out each day from the island?

Nope, those reefs are fringing around the island, and it was a whopping 5-10 minute boat ride to the dive spots. In fact, some of those photos, and others I have not uploaded yet were taken snorkeling out on the house reef.

Here is where we stayed - Bunaken Cha Cha

They named the resort "Cha Cha" b/c one of the owners several years back saw a fish that looked like it was doing the "cha cha" swimming back and forth.

It was a hellish, two-day journey from DC to Manado: Dulles -> Tokyo -> Singapore -> sleep overnight in Singapore airport (actually very nice for only $45) -> next day flight to Jakarta -> Manado -> Taxi to boat dock, 45 minute boat ride to Bunaken Island, arrive by 7pm. But, as you can see, worth EVERY minute in a crammed jet and crowded airport.

Not only is it world-class diving, but the food was excellent, they take care of all your gear, pick you up at the airport and ferry you to/from the island. I simply did not want to leave - DUH!

Cheers

Mike

Edited by OUsnakebyte

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, I have uploaded more from this trip. Here ya go:

Volcano off in the distance. So many of these volcanoes were around these islands.

DSCF0010.jpg

A look at the mangroves with the reef right below

DSCF0006.jpg

DSCF0024.jpg

DSCF0040.jpg

DSCF0052.jpg

DSCF0060.jpg

One of the few big fish I saw all week...

DSCF0076.jpg

I wish my full reef shots would turn out better. I guess I need to toy with the white balance, right?

DSCF0108.jpg

Nice tubastrea colony

DSCF0112.jpg

More tunicates!!!

DSCF0114.jpg

Cheers

Mike

Edited by OUsnakebyte

I know, I know... more table corals...

DSCF0137.jpg

Shrooms!!

DSCF0139.jpg

DSCF0162.jpg

DSCF0163.jpg

DSCF0166.jpg

Another look at that same squat lobster from before

DSCF0176.jpg

DSCF0181.jpg

DSCF0187.jpg

Check out all those pyramids!!!

DSCF0190.jpg

DSCF0217.jpg

Encrusting montis!!!

DSCF0208.jpg

DSCF0213.jpg

Cheers

Mike

More nudis, gettin' it on...

DSCF0245.jpg

This is the same colony I commented on above. The sheer size of this thing was overwhelming. I still can't believe they start out life the size of a pinhead...

DSCF0291.jpg

More reef shots. Next trip I'm going to work on getting these to turn out better.

DSCF0300.jpg

DSCF0317.jpg

DSCF0326.jpg

Cool, huh?

DSCF0331.jpg

DSCF0334.jpg

DSCF0336.jpg

Our divemaster and guide, Emiko. She was great.

DSCF0345.jpg

Took this photo of a coral barnacle for a friend

DSCF0356.jpg

Cheers

Mike

DSCF0358.jpg

DSCF0360.jpg

DSCF0363.jpg

My favorite anemone...

DSCF0375.jpg

DSCF0381.jpg

DSCF0395.jpg

DSCF0403.jpg

DSCF0404.jpg

It's also oddly satisfying to see xenia on the reef...

DSCF0407.jpg

DSCF0410.jpg

Believe it or not... I have sooooooo many more...

Cheers

Mike