Chalice growing on snail?

LanglandJoshua

I purchased a mix of snails from the Marine Scene a couple weeks ago, and I have a snail with a growth on its shell. From several image searches, and a chance enounter of seeing a chalice I just want to know if it is possible, and if it will cause problems for either of the two(chalice or snail) if it indeed were true. I will send pictures when I can.

I will try to get the pics after the meeting today.

sure I would think its possible, as long as they get enough light, but I have never seen it.....would love to see pictures

heres some kenya tree growing on a hermit, couldnt find the sps on the snail, but i know i saw it.

kenya20crab1.jpg

Edited by FearTheTerps

So where are the pics of this chalice and snail?

I was planning on adding them in the past two days...but snow has kinda made that hard to do. I also couldnt find the snail for a couple days. I will add them now

Here are my pics.

Yes I pulled the snail out, but only for about 1-2 minutes. I made sure it was safely placed back in the tank RIGHTSIDE up.

http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae163/wolfsfang2/0123012259.jpg

http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae163/wolfsfang2/01230123001.jpg

Very blurry. Can you get a better picture? It's definitely encrusting, right? It's not a limpit or something?

Chalice, coraline, limpit, macro, etc....will not cause a problem for anything. It's all part of nature. Enjoy it!

I purchased a mix of snails from the Marine Scene a couple weeks ago, and I have a snail with a growth on its shell. From several image searches, and a chance enounter of seeing a chalice I just want to know if it is possible, and if it will cause problems for either of the two(chalice or snail) if it indeed were true. I will send pictures when I can.

Edited by Jan

Chalice, coraline, limpit, macro, etc....will not cause a problem for anything. It's all part of nature. Enjoy it!

Oh I know it wont hurt anything, but it was just neet to see. I will try to get some pictures in. Its kindof like my Horseshoe crab that I continueally think is dead since it stays burried so long. I just found another molted shell....the first molt was about 1.5 inches long. Now the second one is almost 4...I have no clue how large this guy is now!!! But I will have to sell or send him to a better home in a few months when he gets too big. I did not know it would molt and grow so fast. I might just get a trashcan and acclimate it to water levels of the chesapeak bay...but we will see.

Whatever you do, DO NOT return it back to the wild. Even if thats its natural habitat with ideal conditions it could have diasterous consequences. You never know what you may release back with the crab, if something can hitch hike into our tanks, its just as easy for something to hitch hike back to the wild. Think of all the problems we have with non native species, locally theres already a few, the snakehead fish and stink bugs. Look at what the lionfish is doing to the atlantic and caribean.

IMO, it would be better to destroy the animal then to return it the wild.

gotcha, at that point then I would prefer to pass it on to someone with a bigger tank...Hes in great health to be molting as he is. But your right, there could be any number of hitch-hickers. I would definately like to find someone with a large enough tank who would welcome "Bruce".

gotcha, at that point then I would prefer to pass it on to someone with a bigger tank...Hes in great health to be molting as he is. But your right, there could be any number of hitch-hickers. I would definately like to find someone with a large enough tank who would welcome "Bruce".

You can turn it into the National Aquarium or the zoo.

that is an idea, but I would have to make sure it was large enough for them. Dont want to give them something super tiny. But I could contact them. once it does get large enough to hand over.