Which Vortech to get?

PupChow

With 3 powerheads hanging in my tank and still needing more flow, I'm thinking about upgrading to a Vortech. I have a 65 gallon tank measuring: 36x19x24 - Would a single MP10 be enough? I am keeping mostly LPS, softies, gorgonians and zoas.

At a minimum you would need a MP20. I would spend the extra and buy the MP40. You could always buy a used one for say $300 off RC. The MP10 will not be enough to cover you whole tank. Unless you did 2 Mp10's. But for that price you can get the MP40.

I agree with Anthony. I had 2 MP40's on my 120 and was not happy with the flow. I think it had something to do with my tank size and rockwork.

The MP40 should be just fine and if its a little to much you can dial it back. The MP10 can only be turned up so much.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

In general the advise to go with a MP40 is a good one but I would recommend considering your rock work too. The Vortechs are awesome but they are still just one pump, if you have rock work that would sit in front of where you would place it it's flow will be highly reduced. If you have very high rock work in your tank you may be better off getting two MP10W's, you can then sync them up and potentially have better flow.

Thanks for the tip BowieReefer, I PMed him and he said they are pending but will let me know if the sale falls through.

No prob. I have a mp10 in a 29gal biocube. Would NOT recommend for a 65gal. It whines a lot, when full powered. It is better to get more than you need and turn it down imo. I keep the MP10 at 50% in my tank....

i have a 65 cube and use two mp40 s I love it and it they a very large low volume flow all over my tank, prob with a single is that you will have to turn it up a bit faster, at which point they can get noisy and you will have a sand storm in your tank

2 Mp 60's would work great!!!

JK...that would be crazy flow! Kinda like a tide pool wave maker you can surf on!

They make an MP-60 now??

One trick with Vortech's - keep the wet side clean. Pull it out every once in a while and soak it in vinegar, etc. As algae builds up, it changes the flow drastically.

bob

They make an MP-60 now??

yup - I think the MSRP for the newest beast on the block is $694 .. maybe I'll buy a few for my next build .... or not !