Aptaisia control

dmatt56

Hello everyone,

My 54g is a little over 1 yr old and I've started to notice aptaisia for the first time. What's the best method for control, prevention, and removal? What's the cause - high nutrients?

Should I select Berghia nudibranches or peppermint shrimp?

Thanks,

Matt

The cause is that they have been introduced somehow, although high nutrients make them spread faster. If they are small, start with peppermint shrimp, if they are large go with manual removal and peppermint shrimp first. I have had good luck with peppermints, the problem with berghia is they are obligate aiptasia feeders, so they will die when the food source is all gone.

Good luck!!

I would go with Bergias, they are sure to work where as peppermints are hit or miss (in the past peppermints did not work more me whereas others swear by them). You can always trade them in at the pet store or sell them here on the forums once all of the aptaisia is gone.

cheers,

Darren

How many do you have? If you only have a few, I would go with some sort of chemical removal. Something like Joe's Juice or Aiptasia X will take care of them if you only have a few. Berghias are excellent, but if you don't have a lot of Aiptasia, chances are they won't find them and will starve to death. If you use peppermint shrimp, they may or may not eat the anemones - especially if there is other food available. The zapper Paul mentioned is fantastic (I saw Chip's at work) and disintegrates the anemones into goo that I'm assuming cannot reproduce because it's been shocked/burned to death, but again, if you don't have too many, just go with some chemicals. It all breaks down to how bad your overall problem is.

ive had a recent bloom of aiptaisia in my system as well, ive looked over the plans of the burner but they are kinda confusing (at least the ones i found)

does anyone have plans for a build that are on one sheet not 300 pages of a post. I would love to make on of these as they are taking over my freaking tank in places.

I like peppermint shrimp better than the nudibranchs because the peppermint shrimp will be there once you reintroduce aiptasia on new live rock, coral bases, or frags from a store ot another tank. If you used nudis to take care of the initial round of aiptasia, you'll have to go out and get more for the second round.

ive tried pepermint shrimp(had 5 of em in the 90) and i dont htink they did much of anything and some of these aiptasia are getting big, Hopefully someone could post a good plan for the burner i know the basic needs but I am sick of using kalk.

i have always had good luck with copper bands butterfly fish, of course he has a battle every so often with my yellow tang once in a while. i had tried everything except bergias and within a few weeks my aptasia is all gone... just make sure he will eat some mysid or something before you bring it home.