Re-Aquascaping an existing tank

Novi

My tank started out looking real nice but now it just looks cluttered and not natural so I want to reaquascape it. Whats the best way to go about doing this?

Take the corals out and put them in a big rubbermaid for a temp. holding tank? I'm talking a maximum of maybe 20-30 minutes they would be out of my DT till I re-arranged stuff.

They will be fine in a tub, put a heater and powerhead in there and take your time and enjoy your reaquascape.. Just place things in the tub so they dont sting or damage one another..

Make sure you use tank water already at proper temp for the tub, rather than a new batch of water, you may want to do a small water change when you're done as you're likely to kick up detritus and other yukies when you do the rescaping

I see your tank is 90 gallons. I would use as little water as possible to put all your corals in (maybe 20 - 30 gallons). I would also put some of the existing tank water along with some new mixed water into a rubbermade (maybe 10 gallons total). Use this water to shake all the detrtitus buildup off your rocks. Have another tank with tank water to hold the rocks while aquascaping (maybe 20-30 gallons). In the end you will likely have to perform a 30-50% waterchange to replace all the water used to store the rocks as this water will be very dirty (in my own experience).

In all you will have 4 tubs of water.

1. hold corals

2. rinse off rocks

3. hold rocks

4. water for waterchange once completed.

Goodluck re-aquascaping in 20-30 minutes. I would plan for an hour at least. Also, if you have a tarp to put down infront of your tank it helps.

Take some before and afters to post up!!!

GOODLUCK!

^^ All good advice, especially allowing for more then 30 minutes. Once you get it back up I would watch the parameters for a week as stirring up the detritus and sand bed could cause some issues. A nice water change a week after the re-aquascape wouldn't hurt any.

I was thinking of doing the same thing, but replacing the crushed coral substrate with sand.

I hate the sand in my tank. Next tank is going to be barebottom. Maybe have a rdsb, but no sand in the tank. It's just a nuisance. Always blows around and what not when I do water changes. I feel like I could get much better flow without any sand, because I could aim powerheads anywhere I wanted.

I hate the sand in my tank. Next tank is going to be barebottom. Maybe have a rdsb, but no sand in the tank. It's just a nuisance. Always blows around and what not when I do water changes. I feel like I could get much better flow without any sand, because I could aim powerheads anywhere I wanted.

Keep the sand and use vortechs..

For me, the vortech blew out a spot, after that everything was fine.. Barebottom tanks to me are hit or miss.. David, yours looks great, so does hunters and gadgets, but I have seen alot of them that dont.. I think barebottom works good with the "minimalist" aquascaping, but not so much in a cluttered tank.. To each there own. I like sand in my tank bc I typically associate it with oceans and reefs, but I wouldnt be opposed to trying a barebottom tank.. I guess its easier to add sand to BB tank then remove sand from current tank..

A major aquascape like this is also a good opportunity to change and upgrade other things that are hard to do with the tank full. If you're thinking about changing your fish lineup, it's easier to corner the fish with the rock all out of the tank. If you're thinking about drilling your tank to install a closed loop, modifying the overflow, changing the return, or redoing other plumbing, now is a good time.

Good luck with your project!

Jon

You guys must have some phenomenal aquascaping skills so be able to do it that fast. I have spent as much as 5 hours straight standing till my feet turned blue half on tippy toes, then still not being happy and re0doing it again in a fwe weeks. That was when I had only a 45g!

^haha, I am with you, Forrest. It takes me forever to get things to the point where I like them, and weeks of tweaking afterward to get it right, restart, do it again... one of the reasons I subscribe to the 6 month or greater period of time without fish and corals and stuff...

Well I eneded up just re-aquascaping maybe 60% of the tank. Took me about an hour including water changes. I like it. Created some cool overhangs and it all looks more natural now.

Cant wait to see pics!