Help need a quiet return pump

sheac12

I am starting up my 180 and just finished my plumbing. The main return is a mag 24 with a mag 36 propeller with a 1.5" drain and a 1.5" return to dual 1" outlets. First problem I notice was the 1.5" drain is having a heck of a time keeping up with the return. Next problem, after running the system for about 10 minutes, the noise was so bad my wife told me to get something else to make it quiet. One to never question a direct order from the boss that ends with me getting something new for the tank, I am looking for a quiet return pump. Does any have a suggestion? I don't care if it is external or submersible. It does need to push say 4-5' of vertical return. Above all it must be quiet.

Next project, quiet power heads!

Thanks!

Colin

Thanks for in insight Bob. I thought about the Eheim 1262. The only thing I have against the Eheim is its outputs 700GPH at 5 ft, which I personally don't think is enough turn over per hour.

Anyone had experience with the BlueLine Velocity pumps or BlueLine 70 HD?

I was at rocko918 house and he has a big one, of something pump, and it was soooo quiet. Unfortunately (I know, a lot of help I am), I dont remember what it was but hopefully he may chime in.

Eheim 1262 is 900 gph

Hey NAGA,

Yeah I know you told me to go with the Eheim, but at 5' we are looking at 700GPH according to their charts. Which means that 1.5" drain I had you drill would be over kill. Oh and you dead on about the Tunze 6080 not being enough for the tank....I should have listened sad.gif

Hey NAGA,

Yeah I know you told me to go with the Eheim, but at 5' we are looking at 700GPH according to their charts. Which means that 1.5" drain I had you drill would be over kill. sad.gif

I could not read the chart Ehiem had. I do not know how to convert Liters to Gallons so I was not about to say how much a 5' height would reduce flow.

You might want to rethink that 1.5" pipe theory. If a snail decides to go on an adventure, that 1.5" may save you (with the ehiem), unless you have an extra drain for redundancy, aka emergency backup.

Solution I had to fix the noise my pump created was super glue on some rubbe O-Rings. Quieted the pump down by 90% since it wasn't resting on the glass anymore.

If he has a mag 24, i could not imagine. I had a mag 12 and that was out the door after a month. I have a mag 7 now and that is fairly quiet, but, since my tank is a dead silent drain, at night the hum starts to get real loud. I am gonna go with a 1262 here shortly as soon as i find a very very quiet pump for my skimmer.

Oh, point was, they were all on sponges, mouse pads and what not, tried everything. They just vibrate so bad it sends it up the pipes.

I use a hammer head which I love. Some may say it is to powerful but since I have closed down my 210 and will be closing my 54 all I do is throttle it back. This not only makes it more quite but uses less electricity. I have been very happy with the pump especially after coming from my old reliable Iwaki 100 which was a power hog and noisy.

those super expensive and quiet (yet the most efficient pump I have found yet) red dragon pumps will do the trick nicely :)

Remember when arguing for them that since they are so efficient, they will pay for themselves in electricity savings ;)

You can always put a tee after your return pump and branch off pipe back into your sump with a valve on it. This can go into a fuge section or even feed a recirculating skimmer. You then can control flow into the main tank through this valve.

My Reeflo Dart is set up in my fish room. It's still quiet, though. The DART moves about 2500 gph at 5'. As for efficiency, it's one of the most efficient pumps I've found that can move this volume of water. Mine draws about 135W continuous. It replaced another return pump that was drawing closer to 260W. To give you a sense of what this means in terms of operating costs (or savings), every Watt of power savings with a return pump (operating 24 hours a day, every day) translates to around $1 saved over the course of a year (assuming 11.5 cents per kWhr). In my case, moving to a Dart saves me $125 a year in operating costs, paying for itself entirely in less than 2 years at current electricity rates.

Moral of the story: It pays to consider power consumption of your return pump.

I run a Barracuda on my closed loop and a Marlin on my return. both Reeflo pumps.

Hey, there's roco, whats up?

Yea, I was impressed with his black pump in the right of his sump area (whichever that one was,lol). It was a monster compared to my mag 7 and even so, still sooooo much quieter, and external at that!?!?!? I was like, what in the heck????????

My Reeflo Dart is set up in my fish room. It's still quiet, though. The DART moves about 2500 gph at 5'. As for efficiency, it's one of the most efficient pumps I've found that can move this volume of water. Mine draws about 135W continuous. It replaced another return pump that was drawing closer to 260W. To give you a sense of what this means in terms of operating costs (or savings), every Watt of power savings with a return pump (operating 24 hours a day, every day) translates to around $1 saved over the course of a year (assuming 11.5 cents per kWhr). In my case, moving to a Dart saves me $125 a year in operating costs, paying for itself entirely in less than 2 years at current electricity rates.

Moral of the story: It pays to consider power consumption of your return pump.

My thoughts exactly...

My next system will be designed with energy savings as a major factor in choosing equipment, this concept got me over the cost of vortechs and got me looking at the red dragon pumps... The RD 10m3 pushes ~2500 gph at 5 ft with ~98w draw, if you can get past the really steep up-front cost (~$830), it is a phenomenal piece of machinary.

Hey, there's roco, whats up?

Yea, I was impressed with his black pump in the right of his sump area (whichever that one was,lol). It was a monster compared to my mag 7 and even so, still sooooo much quieter, and external at that!?!?!? I was like, what in the heck????????

That was the Barracuda.

To everyone with the reeflo pumps, how many of you have the pump in your main room and not in a different one? I ask because the tank sits off to one side of the family room and due to the tanks location I cannot put the pump anywhere else, but in the stand, at least not easily.

Does anyone have experience with the BlueLine series?