Cleaning the outside of your tank

Charlie

I know that I don't want to spray Windex on my tank and run the risk of getting it in the tank or in my sump, but after a water change, I have major streaks and splashes on the tank. What would you guys recommend?

I know that I don't want to spray Windex on my tank and run the risk of getting it in the tank or in my sump, but after a water change, I have major streaks and splashes on the tank. What would you guys recommend?

Spray windex on a paper towel away from the tank then come wipe it down. Not goin gto poison your tank and the results are beautiful

Do you have a glass or acrylic tank? I have acrylic and use a cloth damp with tapwater to wipe off saltwater drips. Then I buff out the streaks with dry towel.

Every once in a while I'll clean the whole outside with Novus 1 and a cotton cloth.

I use my sleeve or the tail of my t-shirt. :rolleyes: (I try to remember not to do this when I'm wearing one of my favorite cashmere sweaters.....)

I use a squeegee. One side has a sponge scrubbing surface and the other a rubber strip to get the water of the glass. You can get them at Home Depot or Lowes.

Works great on my tank since it is 7' long.

Edited by lhcorals

I clean the inside of my tank, then I cut off all of the silicone and take the tank apart, reverse the glass and put it back together again :blush:

I usually do what Jason does... just have to make sure I'm not by the tank when spraying the cloth.

I've got ro water in a spray bottle, spray the glass and use a microfiber towel to clean. Does a pretty good job at getting rid of the streaks.

ditto on the R/O in a bottle but I use a ShamWowwwww :-)

@PaulB - I have a 220 w/ a busted front pane - wanna come do the tear down / reverse / re-build for me .. :-) :-) :-)

I clean the inside of my tank, then I cut off all of the silicone and take the tank apart, reverse the glass and put it back together again :blush:

Be careful, I'm sure that you have lots of electrical stuff there.

Whatever you use, make sure the towel/cloth is clean. It is the salt that leaves the streaks and you can wipe with a dirty cloth till your blue in the face and it will not come clean til you get all that salt off the front.

With that said, just plain ol water works for me.