good to see so much LED's

zygote2k

If you use 60 degree or 80 degree optics, you'll get more light coverage but significantly less par.

I got 500 par at 12"- can the ecoxotics do that? I believe the answer will be "no".

The 40 degrees are not for everyone- so get 60's or 80's if you want the whole tank lit up.

I wouldn't be this preachy if they didn't work.

I agree that the wider the optics the less par and better coverage you get.

secondly, from Ecoxotics-"We use 120 degree reflectors which spread the light much wider - giving it a much different look. The PAR levels are not as high, but light is spread throughout the tank, not just in one area. We do also have some hobbyists who purchase our Panorama Modules separately and install 60 degree & 45 degree lenses into them. It penetrates deeper and focuses the light more, but hits much higher PAR levels. The PAR from a Panorama Module with 45 degree lenses at 12" is 450+." - These are available through the group buy for a little less than the PAR 38's at wholesale.

Oh yeah and the preachy part is bull.... you know it, I know it, and so do alot of people here. And if you dont know that your naturally preachy and you come off sounding "your way or the highway to H-E-double hockey sticks" then maybe you should see a shrink about a possible GOD complex :clap:

I am sure the answer is out there, but do you know if these evil 66 par38's can handle SPS? If not how about LPS?

THANKS!!!

Absolutely they can, check out the thread on them on reefcentral, they actually are pretty strong, but as the others said, chamging optics can give you more spread at the expense of less par, these (PAR38) have the 3watt cree leds, some of the others use 1watt leds, which are ok, but its like replacing your 400w MH with a 150w.. There are other brands useing 3watt and some using 3watt cree bulbs.. Check out coralsky systems and maxspect systems as well, there are plenty of options, just really depends on what you are trying to accomplish and how deep you wanna dig into your pocket.. IMO the PAR38's are nice and the price isnt bad, but its not a ready to go system and doesnt have a lot bells and whistles, I think they are great for nanos, smaller cube tanks, or for a spotlighted tank, I dont think they are nearly as cost effective for a larger/longer tank, unless you wanna spotlight.. But all of that is just my $.02..

Hey guys... the one man show behind the scenes at Glassbox-design, Eric Michael, has been my friend for a few years now. I know a lot of people in the industry and Eric has been my go-to source for the latest info and cutting edge LED and newer lighting technologies. I've convinced him to put together a talk on the subject, and he may be our speaker for the summer fragfest. WAMAS will be the first to see it. He's also a down to earth guy and any questions beyond the talk he'd be willing to chat about... exciting technology that's evolving fast and I've embraced it... not yet ready to drop my MH on the sps systems... but it's coming in handy so far in many applications...

Copps

(edited)

Oh yeah and the preachy part is bull.... you know it, I know it, and so do alot of people here. And if you dont know that your naturally preachy and you come off sounding "your way or the highway to H-E-double hockey sticks" then maybe you should see a shrink about a possible GOD complex :clap:

I'm on the highway to H-E-double hockey sticks...

Edited by zygote2k

all kidding aside-

I took a serious look at the Ecoxotics but they just don't pack the punch needed to bring the light to the bottom with usable par. Let's face it- they're just not the look that I'm after. I'm trying to create dynamic aquaria and it's very hard to achieve with conventional lighting and LED's that copy them. The Japanese spotlit LED tanks look incredible- full of shadows too. Most large scale aquariums that have large reefs use spotlighting, but with halides.

It'll be the new trend in lighting- that's my prediction.

I got 4 leds hanging over my 46 and I love them..they look just like my metal halide a few years ago...anyway we will see how they grow corals.

I got 4 leds hanging over my 46 and I love them..they look just like my metal halide a few years ago...anyway we will see how they grow corals.

got any pictures?

(edited)

all kidding aside-

I took a serious look at the Ecoxotics but they just don't pack the punch needed to bring the light to the bottom with usable par. Let's face it- they're just not the look that I'm after. I'm trying to create dynamic aquaria and it's very hard to achieve with conventional lighting and LED's that copy them. The Japanese spotlit LED tanks look incredible- full of shadows too. Most large scale aquariums that have large reefs use spotlighting, but with halides.

It'll be the new trend in lighting- that's my prediction.

I talked for a very long time with Ecoxotic, and I do agree with you Rob, they can't possibly duplicate the VHO spotlight effect you want. I also asked them if changing the fixtures optics to 45 or 60 degrees would replicate a halide and they said it would be around a 250 watt 15K. On a sidenote Rob, I'm glad to see your taking something seriously :blink:

Edited by F&Fmgr

(edited)

I talked for a very long time with Ecoxotic, and I do agree with you Rob, they can't possibly duplicate the VHO spotlight effect you want. I also asked them if changing the fixtures optics to 45 or 60 degrees would replicate a halide and they said it would be around a 250 watt 15K. On a sidenote Rob, I'm glad to see your taking something seriously :blink:

I'm serious about most things I do. I strive for the simplistic yet functioning aspects of this hobby as a result. I refuse to believe the hype that surrounds much of the products that drive the marine hobby until you can actually prove that they really work as well as promised. In the case of the PAR38's, I feel confident enough about their workmanship and confident that they actually grow SPS as stated. There will be many types of LED fixtures in the years to come and there will be much improvment in cost and par values. I think it's well known that I am not like most poeple on this forum as I tend to cut right to the point and freely speak my mind. I'll help anyone achieve outstanding results as long as they're willing to listen.

Edited by zygote2k

Yes I have pictures but I havn't put them up yet...anyway I have 4 20k leds with 60 degree optics and the spotlight look is very miniumal.

(edited)

That looks great but there seems to be a lot of, I guess that I should call it: "light leakage". What happens if you lower your lights so that they light your tank more and your room less? Would you get more of a "spotlight effect"? I think that you could get some really interesting lighting results doing that, creating shadows and accents. I bought the suspension cable system from BulkReefSupply last time we had a GB, and I love it. This way you can raise and lower your lighting until you get the desired effects and raise thm up easily for water changes.

Edited by Charlie

(edited)

The price for the PAR38 is $120 each, and if you order 5 or more, the price will be $100 each. I need 2 of them. Please let me know if anyone plans on ordering these LEDs in near future.

Chris

Edited by ChrisTran

The price for the PAR38 is $120 each, and if you order 5 or more, the price will be $100 each. I need 2 of them. Please let me know if anyone plans on ordering these LEDs in near future.

Chris

Where?

If there are any DIY LED gurus on the board here you could make your own bulbs to match Evilc66's. They are the standard "sunpark" bulbs with the white LED swapped out with a blue one.

http://www.sunparkelectronics.com/product_info.php?cPath=3_52&products_id=786

If enough people got together there might be even more cost savings.

I'm really leaning towards the design that El Camaron has on his 70 cube. If you haven't seen what 36 3 watt LED do, you really should. His fish are wearing sun glasses. :cool:

I'm curious in building my own evilpar38s does anyone know more about this... 100$ a bulb is pricy and if they just replace bulbes we should be able to do the same.... think brain!

I'm curious in building my own evilpar38s does anyone know more about this... 100$ a bulb is pricy and if they just replace bulbes we should be able to do the same.... think brain!

The actual bulb that holds the 5 led's probably costs at least $50, then you have to take it apart and de-solder 2 of the white ones and then replace and re- solder them in. It's $15 for 2 of the blue LED's. You're already $70 into it and yes it's cheaper, but how good can you really solder?

I dont have supplies to do it anymore, but I am certified to solder for NASA if someone has supplies and needs me to :)

aka will work for frags or stuff :D