Rain water instead rodi

We're getting a TON of rain in MD this weekend. I'm setting up my new 90 this weekend, hopefully, and I am wondering if anyone has tried using rain water instead of rodi for their system.

Matt

I think rain water is filthy. Coming off the roof? Come on by and I will give you 30 to 40 gallons of RO water :-) Bring some salt and we will mix it up .........

You could always test the water and see what it's like. If it would seem suitable, then use it and see what happens.

You should collect it in buckets rather than off the roof or any other surface. If you place a whole bunch out in the yard, you'll probably get leaves and bugs and dust. You could filter it through a Polyfilter then mix it with salt.

I doubt rain water in this area would work even if it's collected straight into buckets. You'd have to send it through the ro/di no matter what so it kind of ruins the point.

I'd be concerned about acid rain and other pollutants. But collecting it in rain barrwls and then running it through some type of filtration system similar to an RO/DI filter should work.

Rainwater is a bad idea - average rainwater pH is 5.5 and contains significant levels of nitrates, sulfates, and phosphates (at least for rainwater along the east coast). Not to mention all the other contaminants from industrial dust collected by rainwater falling through the atmosphere. Tap water would be better than rainwater without filtration.

All - thanks for the responses! I learn something new every day!

The RODI water has been pumping for the last few hours. I should be ready to start building tomorrow! BIG DAY!

Matt

Anyone willing to set up a 10 gallon rainwater only reef tank?

If I had the room, I'd do it.

Whacha gonna do during our summer droughts? I did acid rain testing for a year down in Occoquan to see if the incinerator was causing any issues. I wouldnt put rainwater anywhere near a reef tank, same way I wouldnt put humidifier water into my tank.

dshnarw summed it up pretty well.

Edited by Happyfeet

Anyone willing to set up a 10 gallon rainwater only reef tank?

If I had the room, I'd do it.

Oh lord sounds like someone made the challenge and im sure youll find a way to get it done, if you need water tested let me know my wife can do it (soil scientist) sounds like happyfeet can as well.

she used to do well head protection plans so could probalby give you ideas on how you could set up a soils to help filter the water prior to it going in the tank. would be funny to get some calcium rich soil/filtration that would take away the need to add any (not that that is possible but)

Im sure you could collect the water and then filter it but that kinda defeats the fun in this idea

Can't speak to chemicals in the rainwater, but I have collected rainwater a couple of times and measured it at TDS 0 (which tells me it didn't collect any industrial dust).

My guess is it probably also has low levels of chemicals. I agree collecting it properly is key.

From what Ive just read you can use rain water for marine aquarium and fresh water aquarium. I wouldn't use it in an established tank but I may try it in a new set up with damsels or something and see how it goes.

The 2 most important factors are;

How you collect the rainwater. this will determine if you can use it or not.

You must test the water to make sure there are no toxins.

http://www.aquariumfishwonders.com/ask-mermaid/can-rainwater-be-used-for-my-aquarium/

http://homepage.mac.com/nmonks/Projects/rainwater.html

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Saltwater-Aquarium-3215/2008/9/Rain-Water.htm

http://www.articlegold.com/Article/The-Best-Water-You-Can-Find-For-Your-Aquariums-and-Fish-Tanks/7367

A friend of mine in NY collects rainwater for use in his commercial orchid greenhouse (He is as obsessed with water quality for his orchids as most reefers are and during dry spells he used a RO/DI unit).

That being said, he filtered the water through a 5 then 1 then 0.5 micron filter and DI media prior to using it (no waste water, but needs a pressure source).

I think it would be acceptable to collect and use rainwater, but I wouldnt just use it as collected, I would filter it as the orchid guy did first.

BTW, his collection method was to use sections of his greenhouse roof (large sections of glass) and PVC piping that drained into large collecting barrels.

Can't speak to chemicals in the rainwater, but I have collected rainwater a couple of times and measured it at TDS 0 (which tells me it didn't collect any industrial dust).

My guess is it probably also has low levels of chemicals. I agree collecting it properly is key.

I would suggest you calibrate your TDS meter. Rainwater should never measure 0 TDS.

I would suggest you calibrate your TDS meter. Rainwater should never measure 0 TDS.

I didn't calibrate it (don't think I can calibrate mine), but I did test it against 2 known TDS sources and got the correct answer when I was doing those tests. Strange stuff. In any case, if the meter is off, I'm sure it isn't off by much. 0 TDS or 5 is pretty much the same thing.

Edited by extreme_tooth_decay