In the Hobby too long

paul b

How do you know when you have been at this for too long?

When after you thought you threw everything out that you don't need, you have more than you started with.

Here are a few of the thiongs I just can't part with. I did not include 10 gallons of rock, miles of tubing and three or four tanks.

IMG_0322.jpg

'fess up Paul. I KNOW that's not all of it!

I know just what you mean, though. I've got a bunch of stuff that sees occasional use, spare equipment, and stuff that I swear that I'll sell, but just haven't got around to it.

I would like to add another thing to your list of how you know you have been in the hobby too long...

When you have a storage unit 125 miles away, packed full that holds the extra fish stuff that you couldnt part with, but also couldnt fit into your small little city rowhouse!! There are 5 or 6 125+ gallon aquariums, a 3/4 hp chiller, a couple of sets of lighting, a pile of protein skimmers, pumps and who knows what else... But I didnt (and still dont) want to part with it!!

I wish I had a picture of it to share!! Its a huge PITA when I have to weigh a decision like spend 50$ to buy a new one, or drive 250 miles to pick up the one I have!

Hehe, its crazy how we collect these things!

Happyfeet, I have about 6 airpumps in the picture plus another 6 I am currently using for shrimps, worms, skimmers and keeping food dry.

Tom, that is just the stuff on my workbench. Not the stuff in storage or any of the stuff I am using.

I have tons of equipment in various stages of production. Don't forget, I build most of my stuff so a lot of it is unrecognizable.

Bill, I am glad I just threw all of that other stuff out. I only have one reef and a tiny experimental tank. I have stuff from fifty years ago. :lol2:

This is what I have left on my bench "after" I cleaned house.

I am on a dumping spree and my two 40 gallon garbage cans are full.

Now I am working on large garbage bags. I get ambitious every few years and dump stuff. It's not all fish related, I got rid of computers, lap tops and a lot of electronics like all the stuff from sattelite TV and about a dozen cell phones.

I have enough tools to build a Space Shuttle. :eek2:

But you need to clean house occasionally to make more room for boat stuff which tends to be large. :beachbum:

Have a great day and lets try to fill up those garbage dumps

Paul

(edited)

You need to have all of this stuff.

The white thing is my worm keeper.

IMG_0323.jpg

IMG_0324.jpg

Edited by paul b

Can't part with the old equip cause you just can't give us the shock huh? Electricians....

What is the black box? That looks like there is a nice heavy transformer in that.

(edited)
What is the black box? That looks like there is a nice heavy transformer in that.

There is, thats my variable low voltage power supply that I made from salvaged parts from car battery chargers, electronic equipment and various junk that I collected from a lifetime of demolishing and re building buildings in manhattan.

Why buy something when you can make a career out of making it?

Do you see that small verticle white thing next to the power supply? That is a variable voltage tester. Also built out of spare junk. I hold it next to a live wire and it beeps and lights up. I can adjust it for very small voltages such as you get in phone circuits. I use it all the time on my side jobs and never travel with out it.

:cool:

The black and yellow box on top of the tank is my shrimp hatchery which I use continousely, and the blue 7 gallon bucket is my make up water for my reef which is about 25' away. Under it is the RO filter and to the left of it is my RO which is hanging on it. There is a home made shut off float valve above it to shut the electric valve to the RO.

Edited by paul b

Wow, you seem to have a reefer's version of the Smithsonian going on there.

You know Paul's an electrician ready for anything, he keeps cold shrinks on his bookshelf.

You know Paul's an electrician ready for anything, he keeps cold shrinks on his bookshelf.

Those large cold shrinks are great. I use them on my boat and for all sorts of things.

At that size they are not too cheap but on the jobs we always had extra.

I have two workshops, one is in my garage and is basically mechanic and welding tools (I used to be an Auto Mechanic for General Motors) And my large wood workers tools like a radial arm saw and cut saws. In my basement is smaller tools for inventing and repairing along with band saws, grinders, drill presses. routers etc.

You just can't throw any tools out even though I will never use half of them again like my engine re building tools suck as spring compressors, valve grinders, ring compressors etc.

I still do all of my engine work but I hope I don't have to totally dis assemble any of my engines again. I know I will but I hope not. :cool:

Wormkeeper003.jpg

(edited)
I see you already tossed the Silent Giant, Metaframe/Dynaflo, Vita-Lites, ..... ;>)

No, I just couldn't fit them in the picture :blush:

(You must have been paying attention to my presentation) :biggrin:

Edited by paul b

I had some 5-6 boxes of old reefing stuff that I went through..Anyway time to clean your closets!

I know what you mean about tools, Paul. Someone I know was closing down her machine shop after 50 years of operation. I actually had to stand and think for a while about that 10-ton drill press she was throwing out. Despite the fact I would have to build a building for it, and have electrical run!

bob

• 5 weeks later...

I may as well add one of my electronic mojano zappers of which I have three others in various stages of production/experimentation.

This one works great and is the only one that is actually finished and works. Everything is always in flux, always improving, (OK sometimes improving sometimes burning or just melting)

IMG_0384.jpg