Mark's 450 gallon tank build

NAGA

I finally decided it was time to upgrade from my Oceanic 180. After spending several months deciding how I was going to build this new tank into the wall in my basement, I started my tank build:

The tank is 4'x6'x30" for 450 gallons built by NAGA using 1" acrylic.

The stand is 4'x6'x37" built by NAGA out of 2" tube steel

The sump is 44"x67"x14" built by NAGA using 1" acrylic and fits under the stand perfectly.

Jeff and I were able to get this beast of a tank onto the stand by ourselves under the direction of my wife.

I have attached some pics for all to see. I will attach more pics and equiment lists when I complete the recirculation and closed loop circuits.

After a year of planning, this is finally becoming reality. :clap:

Mark

post-2631482-1262289129_thumb.jpgpost-2631482-1262289133_thumb.jpg

post-2631482-1262289144_thumb.jpgpost-2631482-1262289152_thumb.jpg

Now that is a hot tank!

Any chance we can get a side view of the overflow arrangement? Not sure I understand what's going on there.

Edited by L8 2 RISE

Now that is a hot tank!

Any chance we can get a side view of the overflow arrangement? Not sure I understand what's going on there.

I think it's an external overflow box with a standpipe inside.

The overflow is an external one that is about 10" out from the tank. There is a 2" drain in it and I think Mark is going to grow mangroves in it. The circ pump is about 800gph.

Now that is a hot tank!

I will get a better picture.

The overflow is an external one that is about 10" out from the tank. There is a 2" drain in it and I think Mark is going to grow mangroves in it. The circ pump is about 800gph.

Nice looking set up and welcome.

If you decide to grow mangroves, I would not use sand in this particular overflow application.

Maybe if you made an additional box inside the overflow.

IMG_2264.jpg

• 3 months later...

I have some 1" aluminum tubing that will be suspended over the tank. This still needs to be built.

The plumbing is complete. These are the most complete pics I have. The plumbing still needs to be tested. I will take some updated pics later. Maybe during water testing.

post-2631482-127143438317_thumb.jpg

post-2631482-127143438906_thumb.jpg

post-2631482-127143439389_thumb.jpg

I have 320lbs of sand from Marco Rocks delivered via the US Postal Service. They really mean "if it fits, it ships"

I have a large amount of dry base rock that I will use for aquascaping. This will be accompanied by live rock from my existing 180 and a 55 gallon drum full of live rock waiting for its new home.

post-2631482-127143445721_thumb.jpg

post-2631482-127143446262_thumb.jpg

I plan to complete the aquascaping this weekend. The tank is 3/4 full with water and contains a combination of dry and live rock in the tank ready to be placed.

I have 320lbs of sand from Marco Rocks delivered via the US Postal Service. They really mean "if it fits, it ships"

I have a large amount of dry base rock that I will use for aquascaping. This will be accompanied by live rock from my existing 180 and a 55 gallon drum full of live rock waiting for its new home.

LOL your mailman must love you now!

Nice work with the plumbing. Good idea keeping that pump in a very easy to service area. I have to ask though, is that going to be covered or soundproofed in some way? That pump will be noisy if it's in the main viewing room.

Do you have any plans for aquascaping? There was a nice "terraced" design on reefbuilders a few weeks ago that really needs a wide, shallow tank to do right. Yours would be a perfect candidate:

http://reefbuilders.com/2010/03/14/reefstock-2010-aquascaping-throwdown-lessons-learned-victory-road-travelled/