Winter storm

ctenophore

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still have power, and I just shoveled about 12" off the shallow-slope portion of my greenhouse. It's engineered for over 30 PSF but I'm not taking any chances since I installed it myself!

No electricity problem in Gaithersburg.

I just came in from clearing off my car, and the side of the other person's car so he doesn't shovel me back in like the guy who was parked there this morning did to me. Then a snowplow went by and pushed all the snow back in front of my car.

Power outage last night from ~930pm to 1230am, but UPS, battery operated pumps all did their jobs as designed. Of course that is good, because this old man is too tired from shoveling to perform emergency tank work :D

That is a fine shovel indeed. How many acres do you have to justify that toy?

3... But I justify it with the landscaping and light construction businesses I own.

That is a fine shovel indeed. How many acres do you have to justify that toy?

After we just cleared the driveway for the third time and the snow plow piled us in for the second....I only need my driveway to justify that toy this year :laugh:

fwiw: 4 wheel drive or not, if you dont have ground clearance, best to stay home. Pushed and dug out a few of the explorer type vehicles this afternoon that just packed up and settled down on the pan.

After we just cleared the driveway for the third time and the snow plow piled us in for the second....I only need my driveway to justify that toy this year :laugh:

fwiw: 4 wheel drive or not, if you dont have ground clearance, best to stay home. Pushed and dug out a few of the explorer type vehicles this afternoon that just packed up and settled down on the pan.

Ummm... I suppose I should just leave my Miata in the driveway, then? :lol:

snow3.jpg

bob

18".... not even close. I live in Herndon, about 1/4 mile outside of Reston...

That's a Sequoia buried under there (helped to get one of those out of the snow today, not heavy enough to handle this snow!).

RecordSnowfall_12-19-0905.jpg

That's my picnic table on my deck, only got indirect snowfall because of the position of the trees and the house.

RecordSnowfall_12-19-0907.jpg

And here's my Weber grill disguised as a giant cone.

RecordSnowfall_12-19-0906.jpg

I measured 30" of snow in my front yard where it was packed down a bit by my shoveling. On the sledding hill there were places where the drifts were 3'+ deep. Even with snowshoes I sank in all the way in some places past my knees.

Had power go out for a little over an hour right around 4am...

I was woefully unprepared for the storm. I didn't even know about it until 10pm Friday night, when it had already begun snowing.

Luckily, I was awake when it happened and I had miraculously had the presence of mind to save a bunch of styrofoam from a furniture purchase 18 months ago, so I put the tank into "shield mode" (pic below)...

Even more luckily, power came back on not too long after 5am. Phew!

gallery_1268_357_100301.jpg

gallery_1268_357_115149.jpg

Well, it's (technically) my weekend off, but the pair scheduled to work aren't gonna be able to make it in today. Looks like I get to take the heel-toe express in this morning. Ah, the joy of living close and being able to walk to work...

Well, it's (technically) my weekend off, but the pair scheduled to work aren't gonna be able to make it in today. Looks like I get to take the heel-toe express in this morning. Ah, the joy of living close and being able to walk to work...

No snomobile?? :)

bob