Winter storm

ctenophore

From the article that Craig linked to above:

"Washington D.C.'s greatest December snowfall on record (since the late 1800s) occurred on December 17, 1932 when 12" fell. This storm has the potential to break that long-standing record. I'd place odds at 50/50."

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the article that Craig linked to above:

"Washington D.C.'s greatest December snowfall on record (since the late 1800s) occurred on December 17, 1932 when 12" fell. This storm has the potential to break that long-standing record. I'd place odds at 50/50."

$20 says we don't get more than 8".

I don't know... time to buy up all the milk, bread and eggs from the store. Duct tape and plastic sheeting, too. ;)

20 says we get rain! I've lived here far to long to be taken in by this hooplah

Normally I might consider that bet, but beings my parents live in Danville and it was snowing there already @ 2pm, I'm going to wait it out and see.

Crap... generator starts fine, but snowblower wont. :(

I put a new spark plug in, still nothing. Im thinking maybe I flooded it. I'll try draining the carb and letting it sit some next.

Just moved down from Boston - not the least bit afraid of snow - if we really do get 10"+ here's what I'm planning for the weekend -

Crap... generator starts fine, but snowblower wont. :(

I put a new spark plug in, still nothing. Im thinking maybe I flooded it. I'll try draining the carb and letting it sit some next.

I had that problem once. If you let any gas stay in the carb for more than a month without running it, you're screwed. Take the carb apart and clean it really well. I did that and mine started right up. Now I have a valve on the fuel line and every spring I shut off the valve and let it burn all the remaining fuel in the fuel line. Haven't had a problem since.

good luck

I had that problem once. If you let any gas stay in the carb for more than a month without running it, you're screwed. Take the carb apart and clean it really well. I did that and mine started right up. Now I have a valve on the fuel line and every spring I shut off the valve and let it burn all the remaining fuel in the fuel line. Haven't had a problem since.

good luck

I was in the process of taking it apart, but one of the knobs wont come off and without the knob off, I cant get to the dang carb! After blowing a heater on it for 30 min, it fired up for a good 5-10 secs before cutting off. Now I cant get it restarted again. I'll try again in the morning I guess.

Soooooooo.......How would you like to settle up? :biggrin:

I'll verify that the Manassas-Woodbridge area has surpassed that 8" quite well already.

bob

Just got home from pushing snow all night. Let me tell you the roads are horrible. We have Approx. 12 to 13" down here. To get to my house i had to bust through a snow drift that was 3 1/2'. Now to get a little rest so i can go back in tonight at 8:00 PM. Please only go out if its an emergency. Take this time to be with family and do something with your tank. I seen enough wrecks in the last 12 hours so i dont want to read about any.

In this area, the thing that I am afraid of the most is, as someone else put it, the other people! I grew up in Chicago and know how to drive in snow and handle the weather, but some people get on the roads and immediately panic. It's funny how some feel that once there's snow on the ground they need to go super slow but then all reactions have to be twice as fast - such as go 2 mph into the turn but then jerk the wheel as much as possible as late as possible... 2 weeks ago when it snowed it was amazing how many people were skidding out because they overreacted to everything! Wish that people who didn't drive in snow growing up would realize that if you go a decent clip your tires will work better for you and that you have to slow down the reactions more than the speed! Gradual movement is what will get you there the best!

Lynn, stay warm! I used to get plowed into my garage every year in Chicago with 6' snowbanks so was always used to slamming my car into the wall to get out! Of course, when we had 2' of snow we still went to work...

GMC 4wd 2500HD duramax/allison turbo diesel here, I'm not going anywhere either but I feel like I should be out plowing our neighborhood access road if I had a plow. I thought about getting one last year but everyone laughed at me because we never get snow here.

any reported power outages yet> still good down this way, look about a foot out.

So far we have about 14" and according to the news we're just getting started.

They sure do. You can drive my $20 over sometime today.

Feel free to drop my $20 on the way over to Justins!

Edited by steveoutlaw