wireless ACIII

bcjm

My tank is too far from my internet wireless router. Is there a way to connect my ACIII to internet?

2 ways, either use a wireless repeater or a powerline ethernet adapter.

Either one will cost you about $75 to $100.

The other option is to run a long RJ45 cable from the ACIII to your router. If you are too far away, over 100ft, you can add a HUB in between to boost the signal.

You will be surprised how easy it is to route some cable once you think about it... same thing as coaxial for cable boxes.

If simplicity is the main goal, and you have trouble configuring the router I would go the Powerline Ethernet Adapter way.... much easier than the Wireless Repeater.

I will look for a Powerline Adapter deal online and will post shortly.

Remember that if you go the Powerline Ethernet Adapter route you need 2 of them, one at your router/modem and one at your ACIII location.

I like the "older" Netgear one because it is way more reliable. Don't be fooled by the speed. At 14mbits you have plenty of bandwidth. The newer ones that offer 85 and 200mbits are only useful if you are using the adapter to feed music/videos to a remote locations. Otherwise, the older lower speed adapter will probably be faster than your internet connection and more than plenty to serve the ACIII bandwidth requirements.

Powerline looks like a good option. I look at on embay. Netgear is like 3-4 times more than others. Does it matter which one I get?

the powerline-based ethernet bridges/extenders can start to pick up noise on the home electrical system, which will prevent communication between the router and the ACIII, as happened to me after a year of trouble-free service. You can get a wireless ethernet bridge at Microcenter. See this

Wireless Extender

It works well, and there is no powerline noise interference hampering communication.

the powerline-based ethernet bridges/extenders can start to pick up noise on the home electrical system, which will prevent communication between the router and the ACIII, as happened to me after a year of trouble-free service. You can get a wireless ethernet bridge at Microcenter. See this

Wireless Extender

It works well, and there is no powerline noise interference hampering communication.

So you plug ACIII to the adapter and the adapter talk to the router? Is it easy to set up? How does the adapter know which wireless router to use (I can see the neighbor's) ?

your description of the setup is correct. the unit comes with a cd/program that walks you through the setup, during which you identify for the adapter/extender the correct network (i.e., wireless router signal) it should be tapping into. It is easiest to set up if you have a laptop, such that you can run the program on the laptop, bring the laptop near the router, and connect the adapter/bridge to the laptop at the same time so that while you are running the setup program with the extender/adapter attached to the computer, you can make that identification. If you only have a wireless-equipped desktop, you might need to do a little back-and-forth to hook/unkook components (if I remember the steps correctly). Ultimately, though, you "cut the cords" and connect the ACIII to the ethernet adapter/extender via a cat 5 cable, and that adapter/extender then communicates wirelessly with the router.

It does take a few more steps to set up than the powerline-based approach (which is essentially plug-and-play), but you will get much better, stable communication and the steps are not hard at all if you follow the guide that comes with the unit.

I just bought this Telnet Wireless N Gaming Adapter, http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_...duct_id=0311096 , from Micro Center and plugged my ACIII into it, am having no problems seeing my ACIII on Verizon Fios service. I caught it on sale for $59.99 with a $30 mail in rebate.

How do you set it up to talk to the router?

How do you set it up to talk to the router?

Followed the instructions that came with it, just plugged a ethernet cable from it into my laptop, inserted the CD that came with it, input my security code for the router, unplugged from my laptop and plugged the ACIII into it and I was in business. Only problem I had was that I had it sitting on the floor and it lost signal a couple of times so I moved it to next to my television and haven't had a problem since.

Followed the instructions that came with it, just plugged a ethernet cable from it into my laptop, inserted the CD that came with it, input my security code for the router, unplugged from my laptop and plugged the ACIII into it and I was in business. Only problem I had was that I had it sitting on the floor and it lost signal a couple of times so I moved it to next to my television and haven't had a problem since.

I see. same procedure as the Wireless Extender mentioned previously.

I use an apple airport express for mine. works like a champ. take advantage of the wireless network at you house if you can and have one that is.