Hands in the tank!

BliffBlam

Just thought this might be helpful to start, And curious myself also.

what are common practices among people putting hands in their tank? should you were gloves or not? and then do you wash your gloves everytime or just let dry out?

I for one wash my hands with a mild non antibacterial soap or sometimes just rinse them off before putting in the tank and sometimes nothing at all.

I kind of feel that washing your hands is pointless, unless your gonna scrub up like a surgeon I mean your still gonna have stuff under your fingernails.

Unless you have something toxic or greasy on your hands does it really matter. Too bad there isnt something they sell that you can rub on hands and arms before doing so.

Just looking for opinions and personal experiences.

I rinse my arms with water, thats all. I am never scared unless fragging zoanthids or palys. However, there are plenty of things that can cause allergic reactions, etc... so there is always a risk...

I would wear gloves when moving rocks to prevent cuts and infections... moving corals around or mounting them... no gloves!

If I've just taken my nail polish off I wouldn't just stick my hands in the tank. I'd wash them. Other than that I don't wash my hands. I think of it like the ocean. Folks dump all kinds of stuff in it. Unless you've touched something that's toxic; bleach, acetone, etc.. I wouldn't worry about it. I try wear gloves and goggles when I cut zoas and palys. I wear gloves when handling rock so the bristle worms wont stick me. I ALWAYS wash my hands after having them in the tank. Especially when I touch the stinky xenias.

I was thinking more about contaminating the tank not myself.

No gloves here either. I've been in my tank almost daily with the hair algae and moving things around. I make sure I wash my hands before they go in the tank, especially if I've just gotten home from work.

No gloves. I wash to make sure no handlotion or soap residue is on my hands.

I only worry about not contaminating the tank water.

David

I pretty much do what reefhunter does. I'll rinse or wash up if I feel my hands are contaminated with something not normally there. If I'm handling zoas or palys, or if I'm moving rocks around, or if I've just got a nice long sleeve shirt on and need to reach in toward the bottom, I'll typically slide the gloves on. Otherwise, in I go.

I dive right in the tank. I DO NOT wash my hands prior since you never can get all the soap off your hands and I have had in the past problems with freshly washed hands in a tank. But I do keep a towel near by and dry my hands then flush them with fresh water to knock off the salt or anything that might have landed on my skin.

I never did use gloves until I got hit with that toxin about a month ago. Now I wear dish washing gloves and even after that if I think I feel anything I rinse the H-E-double hockey sticks out of my hands with soap. I have become a bit paranoid. :)

I wash before I put my hands/arms in the tank, and after I am finished, but do not wear gloves. I have had some nasty run-ins with frogspawn, so I try to avoid touching it.