frog spawn coral

Jason

Hey guys, having a problem with my new coral. I bought it from fins and feathers (no not saying they are bad I like them) The frog spawn coral I got from them looked very well in the tank I picked it out from. I brought it home, did the normal water transfer to get it use to my water as well as temp. I put it in after the normal transfer and with in minutes it released its slime coat, With in a hour it was pretty much sealed up. I thought maybe it was just unhappy. I did a 20% water change, everything seemed normal before I did the water change and even after but yet my frog spawn seem's like it has died. Its all white and sealed at the cap's. Can it be saved or am I really just out of a nice looking addition to my tank? My other soft coral is doing very well. It was before and even after, the frog spawn how ever not.

Edited by Jason

Hey guys, having a problem with my new coral. I bought it from fins and feathers (no not saying they are bad I like them) The frog spawn coral I got from them looked very well in the tank I picked it out from. I brought it home, did the normal water transfer to get it use to my water as well as temp. I put it in after the normal transfer and with in minutes it released its slime coat, With in a hour it was pretty much sealed up. I thought maybe it was just unhappy. I did a 20% water change, everything seemed normal before I did the water change and even after but yet my frog spawn seem's like it has died. Its all white and sealed at the cap's. Can it be saved or am I really just out of a nice looking addition to my tank? My other soft coral is doing very well. It was before and even after, the frog spawn how ever not.

Photo? White and sealed at the caps - not a normal state for a frogspawn; they love to wave their tentacles around. Did the flesh fall off?? Are you seeing just white 'bones'?? Believe me - when it is DEAD dead, there is nothing left but calcium. If it is only mostly dead, there is a chance it may recover (Ref: The Princess Bride).

Do you have a pH meter?? (as opposed to test kit) For future reference - I usually drop my pH probe in the bag with new corals to see what the pH is. If it is quite different (like 7.5 vs. 8.3) - I drip-acclimate like I would a fish. I don't recall any frogspawns releasing a 'slime coat'... that's what has me wondering if it encountered unexpectedly harsh conditions.

bob

several questions....what are you tank parameters and what kind of lights are you using...then we can go from there...

Tank setup is a nano, 3 gallon tank

- Unique Cuving Design offers panoramic viewing.

- Rapids Power filter enables easy installation, easy operation

- Compact Fluorescent Dual Reef 50/50 Lamp enhances fish and corals colors.

The Deco Kit 3 provides a modern design only available with the versatility of one-piece construction; delivering an innovative profile with leakproof durability. Ideal for home or office, this show aquarium offers the easiest application for the hobbyist who demands high-tech performance in a minimalistic environment.

3 Gallon Deco Kit includes:

- Compact Fluorescent Perch-Light Fixture 18W provides direct illumination over the tank.

- Dual Reef Compact Fluorescent Lamp supplies 7,400K Daylight (which simulates bright light on a sunny tropical day) on one half and the other half 14,000K True Actinic (providing blue light for photosynthetic corals).

- Rapids Mini Power Filter provides the best in mechanical, chemical and biological filtration...aerating and filtering the water every hour. Super

-efficient, delivering 80 gallons per hour flow rate!

Rapids Mini Power Filter Cartridge filters out undesirable particulate material and purifies the water with highly adsorbing activated carbon). The Bio-Insert provides surface area where beneficial bacteria work to remove toxic ammonia and nitrite.

Looks like this one.

DSC01995.jpg

Here is mine.

Day 1 picture.

jasonnanotank1.jpg

2 weeks later

tank2.jpg

no pictures since the hermits and emerald crab or new frog spawn

Jason,

If you just added the frogspawn today it may takea day or so before it's happy and extended. It's not clear to me from your post how long ago you added it.

Jon

Jason,

If you just added the frogspawn today it may takea day or so before it's happy and extended. It's not clear to me from your post how long ago you added it.

Jon

Hey Jon, I added it about 4 days ago. :-(

That last picture looks like the whole thing is dead.

+1 on it being dead. Something is off in your water. You need to do a full set of test and get the parameters so you know what is going on.

frogspawn.jpg

I'm afraid that is DEAD dead... not just mostly dead. My name is Jason Montoya. You killed my coral! Prepare to die!

Check Ph, Ammonia, Nitrates, Alkalinity, and Specific Gravity. Frogspawn might LOOK like an easy-going coral, but it does need good parameters to survive. Don't ask me how I know.

bob

Sorry if I missed this in the thread - but, how long had this tank been set up and running before adding the FS?

I agree that the coral looks dead. I'm not sure what your acclimation procedures are, but temperature acclimation is not sufficient. That's probably not the extent of it, though. Like everybody else, I'm wondering what your water parameters are. Of interest are the basics:

Temperature

Salinity

pH

But I'm also interested in:

Ammonia

Nitrates

Calcium

Alkalinity

Do you have test kits and do you know that your tank parameters are? If so, post them. If not, get the kits, test, and post the results.

How old is the setup? What other livestock do you have in the tank? That tank looks pretty bare.

The 'melted' look on two of those branches seems very strange. When it dies, it usually just looks like the front branch in the picture.

One of your earlier pics shows what looks like a torch? Or maybe some other LPS? How is that doing? What about the star polyps? A full set of parameters is definitely needed, as previously requested. If you don't have any test kits, go pick up a full set of either API, Salifert, Instant Ocean, or Elos (those are the most popular ones that are generally considered accurate).

The tank may also just be too young for corals - you should be 4+ wks in before introducing any. Also, in a 3 gal pico, a frogspawn will sting pretty much every other coral in the tank.

EDIT: Oh, and it looks like you may still have diatoms? (the brown stuff on the glass). If so, your cycle may not be complete. Water parameters are definitely needed to diagnose.

Edited by Brian Ward

It also looks like you have a regular HOB filter. That filter is fine for fresh water, but I don't think it does anything for a reef tank. It's fine if you're doing fish only, but you really should consider a skimmer if you want to keep any kind of corals.