what vender has the nicest/largest/cheapest live rock in town

watson_barrett

???

Anyone shopped around lately?

I know I WON'T be paying $10 per lb. like I did when i 1st came into this hobby in the pitch black at walley's rip-off palace...haha what a Fing mess that was. Umm yes I would like to start a saltwater aquarium today, what do i need....DOWL! don't do that.....

Roozens always has the largest pieces but you have to ask to look inside the boxes off to the side that have not even been opened yet. It is not cured at all but since it has been sitting around for a bit it is a little dry (read, not paying for water here). John at BRK had some really cool new stuff in last I was there, can't remember what it was called and have no idea of the price but it was really amazing shapes and good sizes, probably fully cured by now.

I'd go with Marco rocks. You can specify kinda what you want and he'll try to help out. I went out to his place this past winter and got two super sized and extremely nice looking Pukani tower pieces. They cost me a little more than his typical price, but if I had a large tank, they'd be so worth it. Pay attention to DaveS tank should he ever post it up here (he has those pieces).

Marcos is no longer getting their famous Marcos rock since there is now a ban on collecting it. They have florida limestone rock buts its not the same. BRK had some nice Marshal island rock in their vats

I went out to his place this past winter and got two super sized and extremely nice looking Pukani tower pieces. They cost me a little more than his typical price, but if I had a large tank, they'd be so worth it. Pay attention to DaveS tank should he ever post it up here (he has those pieces).

I got 100lbs of some really nice Pukani LR from Aquaco for just under $2.50/lb once. I really miss that place... :sad: I definitely won't be selling at that price though.

Edited by audible

I have ~40-50 lbs I can sell for $2.50 per lb

You should take him^ up on this. He had some nice rock last time I was over there.

The best stuff comes from WAMAS members, but if you can't find it,

A long time ago, I bought big pieces of tonga from Dr. Mac at $2.69/lb. That was great. Don't know what it costs today, but you could find out.

If you're looking for a lot of rock, the drive to Dr. Mac (roughly Salisbury, MD) is probably worth your time. Also look for tank breakdowns. Some of the best rock I ever got actually came from Wallys a couple years go. I'd mix together some dry (dead) stuff with some colorful live stuff. Eventually it will all color up.

Don't know if you got my PM or not. WAMAS member Skeety in Damascus has 2 HUGE pieces of LR he needs to get rid of. It's the only thing left that he needs to get rid of so he can finish knocking down his tank. I know one piece is tonga. They'r a really nice shape too.

wow that is a lot to take in, haha...

is the rock at roozens that isn't in the bins covered in majos like the rest of yas's rock??

rik, how big are the pieces?

Make sure you get pest free rock!! Saving a few bucks now could mean spending a bunch of money later on to deal with majanos, aptasia, etc... or even flatworms!!!

The headache is not worth it. You have already been given a couple of very good options in this thread... ;)

wow that is a lot to take in, haha...

is the rock at roozens that isn't in the bins covered in majos like the rest of yas's rock??

rik, how big are the pieces?

Dont recall - they are all in a 44g trash can. I'll take pics over the w/e.

Don't know if you got my PM or not. WAMAS member Skeety in Damascus has 2 HUGE pieces of LR he needs to get rid of. It's the only thing left that he needs to get rid of so he can finish knocking down his tank. I know one piece is tonga. They'r a really nice shape too.

Oh BTW, I got 2 large pieces of this rock and it's clean. No pests. They had some really nice SPS encrusted on it.

Make sure you get pest free rock!! Saving a few bucks now could mean spending a bunch of money later on to deal with majanos, aptasia, etc... or even flatworms!!!

The headache is not worth it. You have already been given a couple of very good options in this thread... ;)

Agreed, stay away from any rock that looks suspect! :eek:

Last time I was at roosens which was last month aptasias were on the live rock.

yea ever time i've been to roozens with was about 1k times over the last 3 years i see more manjos than there are ants in africa...

yea ever time i've been to roozens with was about 1k times over the last 3 years i see more manjos than there are ants in africa...

Ya don't buy from the "curing tanks". The good stuff is in all those coolers off to the side of the green house. You might wonder why they don't put it in the tanks so it could stay "live" but when you consider that they are just getting ready to reship most of it, it makes sense. It sat on a beach for 2 weeks in the South Pacific, then LAX for another week so whats really another week in the roozens greenhouse? Besides if they put it in the "curing tank" it would be filled with pest. Just tell the guys you need over a 100# of rock and they will pull out the razor blades and start slicing boxes open for you to cherry pick. The stuff at BRK was however, really worth taking a look at. Maybe John can chime in here and at least offer up the name and a picture of what he was selling. Recycling rock from another break down is always going to be the cheapest locally though, if you can find some cherry pieces that would be a great route to take.