capsfan's 10 gallon reef thread

capsfan

Well, we were cleaning out the garage the other day and I saw a 10 gallon. Being me, I couldn't just disregard it :unsure: , so I put it next to my 2.5 gallon. :clap: I threw a powerhead, el cheapo heater, and a HOB filter on it and just let it run. About 20 minutes after I set it up, I realized that it would look much better painted black. :tongue: So, I emptied all the water and went outside to paint it black. It looked good. Then I filled it up with saltwater and let it run for about a week.

image.jpg

Then, I decided that the tank would look so much better if the powerhead and heater were hidden. So, I emptied all the water and took it outside to silicone a divider to hide the stuff. I cut the acrylic and started to cut the overflow notches when it cracked. :cry: :angry: I got discouraged and let the project sit. Then I thought about a rock wall to hid the stuff. It seemed like it would look awesome. So I went to lowes and the lfs where I bought eggcrate, greatstuff foam, and 9 lbs of rubble rock.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I ziptied the rock to the eggcrate and tried to make plenty of shelves for coral. Then, I foamed in between the cracks with the great stuff. Then I decided to do more research about greatstuff foam after the fact. :wacko: The foam is inert after it cures, but after time, the water will seep in and make the foam all mushy and gross. icon8.gif So, I want back to lowes and bought pond foam instead. I tore most of the foam out from between the rockwork (took me most of the day) and refoamed with the pondfoam. This is where I stand right now.

rockwallv001.jpg

rockwallv002.jpg

rockwallv003.jpg

rockwallv004.jpg

rockwallv005.jpg

I still have to coat the foam with something, stick sand/rubble to it to make it look more natural, and silicone it to the back wall.

More to come as I finish the wall.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks good.Are you saying that water will flow through the rock/foam wall and help filter the tank?Are you placing skimmer or anything in the sectioned of portion behind the wall?

Looking good so far. I thought that the "Great Stuff" you were talking about using wasn't aquarium safe. Sucks that you went ahead and used it only to have to spend a ton of time ripping it all out. So what kind of livestock are you planning on putting in this tank?

It looks good.Are you saying that water will flow through the rock/foam wall and help filter the tank?Are you placing skimmer or anything in the sectioned of portion behind the wall?

No the water will go over the wall and be pumped back through the wall by a powerhead. I probably will not use a skimmer unless I find an HOB for cheap. How are those skilters?

Looking good so far. I thought that the "Great Stuff" you were talking about using wasn't aquarium safe. Sucks that you went ahead and used it only to have to spend a ton of time ripping it all out. So what kind of livestock are you planning on putting in this tank?

The great stuff would have been fine because it once it cures it is inert. I went with the pond foam because it will hold up better with the light and water. I don't know what I want exactly as far as livestock. Probably won't go with any sps. I really want like three chromis and some inverts.

Looking good Tyler. What kind of lighting are you going with?

I have no lighting at this point. Not much money right now. I was hoping to go with t5s.

I also take it your going bare bottom as well?

Nope. I'm going to put sand in. I don't think it would look that good bare bottom. I'm more of a sand guy myself.

Glued the rock walls in. Not entirely satisfied with the color of the sand I got. Didn't think about the color too much until after I got it on. It is pretty white. However, I am confident that it will look better once it is covered in coraline and whatnot. Here are some pics.

rockwallglue001.jpg

rockwallglue002.jpg

Looks good man. I can't wait to see this thing filled with water! What are your ideas on aquascaping?

No immediate plans until I sell my wavemaker. I'm getting closer and closer towards broke. :sad:

I will probably just let it run with water and sand for a while and put in a coraline rock to start kicking off the growth on the back wall. Possibly add coraline shavings also.

I noticed the tank is set up close to a window. Do you get enough light through the window for you to run the tank without a lighting fixture? Or maybe use a cheaper fixture just for viewing?

I noticed the tank is set up close to a window. Do you get enough light through the window for you to run the tank without a lighting fixture? Or maybe use a cheaper fixture just for viewing?

The tank does get some light from the window, but not enough to run exclusively on sunlight. I may let the sun come in through the blinds for some extra light. I am going to have 2 t5s running over it.

thats really quite constructive! You have an eye for aquascaping.

Sean

Why thank you! :laugh:

How did you attach the sand to the wall?

I coated the foam with silicone and sprinkled the sand all over it. The wall and sand is in the tank and it looks good. I also have the light now and it is nice too. I'll have pictures for you guys later.

As promised, here are the pictures. I filled the tank with water and just recieved the light. It is a nova extreme 2x t5 light. It looks pretty good to me.

filled7-6-09007.jpg

filled7-6-09010.jpg

filled7-6-09009.jpg

filled7-6-09011.jpg

Dang!!!! That is looking really sweet. I put a fish or two and throw in a few zoa colonies and some ric colonies and call it a day. That is a really good job. It almost looks like you went deep diving of an under sea rock wall and took a chunk of the sea scape with you.

Dang!!!! That is looking really sweet. I put a fish or two and throw in a few zoa colonies and some ric colonies and call it a day. That is a really good job. It almost looks like you went deep diving of an under sea rock wall and took a chunk of the sea scape with you.

Thanks!! :laugh: I want to get the tank totally under control before I throw anything major in there. I need to get another pump. Both of mine are making annoying clicking noises. I haven't tested the water yet either. However, I hope this tank will look even better once it gets some coraline and some easy corals growing.

Bravo! Very well done, very professional looking. You'll have to keep us updated as this tank ages and how that wall holds up.