capsfan's 10 gallon reef thread

capsfan

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks every body!! :clap:

That's awesome. How well is the overflow working?

Well, that wall is full of holes, so the overflow is almost pointless. It does get some of the surface scum though. All my spare powerheads are dead, so I have to get a new one for this tank.

• 2 weeks later...

I love the sense of depth that you achieved with the angled back, too - really nice! Can't wait to see how it looks once things settle and you get some livestock in it.

Edited by Hilary

The false wall looks great! Be careful with that heater in the power filter. I did the same thing a few years ago and it slowly melted through the bottom until I came home one day with leaked water everywhere. Just make sure it's not actually touching the plastic and you should be fine.

-Stu

The false wall looks great! Be careful with that heater in the power filter. I did the same thing a few years ago and it slowly melted through the bottom until I came home one day with leaked water everywhere. Just make sure it's not actually touching the plastic and you should be fine.

-Stu

The heater is only temporary until I get a powerhead, but I'll keep that in mind.

• 3 years later...

Hello again, WAMAS. I suppose it's time for an update. Didn't realize this thing was sitting for 3.5 years...

Much has changed. I no longer have my 2.5 gallon pico set up, and I'm preparing to get rid of my main 55 gallon tank. This 10 gallon is now going to be my only saltwater tank. I didn't really keep it going after the previous updates. Instead, I'm starting it now. Filled it up a couple days ago, stuck some liverock in, and bought a few hermits today. It'll be interesting to see where it goes...

FTS

IMG_9668.jpg

Hermit

IMG_9672.jpg

Rockwork

IMG_9674.jpg

Ate you missing the mounting brackets? Or is your light to short?

It's a little short, so I'm going to have to rig something up to make it work.

I have a 24 inch dual t5ho with bulbs if interested pm me . Bought it brand new in feb this year

• 2 months later...

Switched the black clowns into the tank yesterday. Seem to be doing well. Need to find an actinic bulb for the fixture though. The light is really white.

IMG_0226.jpg

IMG_0222.jpg

IMG_0219.jpg

Also if anyone is in the market for a pair of ocellaris, I need to get mine out of the 55 so I can sell it. They've mated and laid eggs in the past.

• 5 weeks later...

Well, we were cleaning out the garage the other day and I saw a 10 gallon. Being me, I couldn't just disregard it unsure.gif , so I put it next to my 2.5 gallon. clap.gif I threw a powerhead, el cheapo heater, and a HOB filter on it and just let it run. About 20 minutes after I set it up, I realized that it would look much better painted black. tongue.gif So, I emptied all the water and went outside to paint it black. It looked good. Then I filled it up with saltwater and let it run for about a week. image.jpgThen, I decided that the tank would look so much better if the powerhead and heater were hidden. So, I emptied all the water and took it outside to silicone a divider to hide the stuff. I cut the acrylic and started to cut the overflow notches when it cracked. cry.gifangry.gif I got discouraged and let the project sit. Then I thought about a rock wall to hid the stuff. It seemed like it would look awesome. So I went to lowes and the lfs where I bought eggcrate, greatstuff foam, and 9 lbs of rubble rock. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgI ziptied the rock to the eggcrate and tried to make plenty of shelves for coral. Then, I foamed in between the cracks with the great stuff. Then I decided to do more research about greatstuff foam after the fact. wacko.gif The foam is inert after it cures, but after time, the water will seep in and make the foam all mushy and gross. icon8.gif So, I want back to lowes and bought pond foam instead. I tore most of the foam out from between the rockwork (took me most of the day) and refoamed with the pondfoam. This is where I stand right now. rockwallv001.jpgrockwallv002.jpgrockwallv003.jpgrockwallv004.jpgrockwallv005.jpgI still have to coat the foam with something, stick sand/rubble to it to make it look more natural, and silicone it to the back wall.More to come as I finish the wall.

I just put up my own 10g nano today and I'm loving it!

• 8 months later...

Going to be getting rid of this tank, and thus, my pair of black ocellaris clownfish. 40 bucks for the pair if anyone is interested.