cheap DIY pc light

treesprite

I never knew those PC bulbs you screw into regular fixtures only work because they have built-in PC ballasts - the light fixtures are nothing but fancy extension cords in that regard.

I got this idea from another website, but my quickie job is an improvement over what the person did (I should have saved the link). This has no actinic, so if used over a reef tank built into a real hood, the hood should incorporate a ballast to accomodate, possibly just NO since it's just for actinics.

65K daylight PC bulbs with the built-in ballasts:

bulbpack.jpg

builtinballast-1.jpg

Plug-in light sockets:

socket.jpg

I used paint-on electrical "tape" for waterproofing:

liquidtape.jpg

The project I saw just had something similar to this:

noadapters.jpg

I found these handy adapters which drastically increase options:

connected.jpg

I cut a hex-shaped piece of wood and put holes in it for the bulbs - very rough job because I had no hole saw bit and just made the holes with a jogsaw... used some wire to keep the bulbs from falling:

back.jpg

On top of the tank. I needed some actinic light, so there is a pc fixture which has only one working ballast..... it gave me something to prop this DIY on also:

ontank.jpg

Reflective spray paint is remarkably more reflective than I expected:

reflect2.jpg

This tank, a 52 hex, now has considerably more light than before. What I had on it - a 22" wide tank (from center of f & b panels) - is a 2-bulb 36" NO fixture (which of course was several inches sticking out on each side), and a small 2-bulb T-5 fixture which gives little light in a tank this size. Frogspawn does well under that light when up high in the tank, but this is a big improvement (would be even better if I built a proper hood with a ballast for actinic).

Hope those are over a refugium! If not your tank is going to become one.

Double the :eek:

For the time and cost I think I would have just ordered a hood from BRK.

Plus no offense but that setup looks like a total fire hazard.

I did wonder about the possibility of algae; this tank already has algae but as long as it isn't taking over I don't worry about it since it's just the clownfish tank.

I thought about putting them over the 65's refugium. This clown hex has a built in sump/refugium so the macros just have the light from the tank (which hasn't really been enough). If all else fails to suit me, I will just not have to buy household lamp bulbs for a year (I was already using them in lamps, just didn't realize that they had built-in ballasts to make them work as PCs in regular sockets).

Double the :eek:

For the time and cost I think I would have just ordered a hood from BRK.

Plus no offense but that setup looks like a total fire hazard.

I think she did a good job with waterproofing with the paint on electrical tape so I doubt it is much of a fire hazard, silicone might have been a little better but whatever. I think with the spiral bulb you have a pretty effective "drip loop" built into every bulb too. Honestly this is probably less of a fire hazard than your standard mogul bulb halide setup. 6500k is too warm for my eyes but there has been more than one successful reefer over the years that has used an Iwaki bulb, the sun is 5800k after all.

How about a tank pic showing the new lighting? Total cost of project?

I think she did a good job with waterproofing with the paint on electrical tape so I doubt it is much of a fire hazard, silicone might have been a little better but whatever. I think with the spiral bulb you have a pretty effective "drip loop" built into every bulb too. Honestly this is probably less of a fire hazard than your standard mogul bulb halide setup. 6500k is too warm for my eyes but there has been more than one successful reefer over the years that has used an Iwaki bulb, the sun is 5800k after all.

How about a tank pic showing the new lighting? Total cost of project?

I will agree to disagree and leave it at that.

I'm all about DIY but when it comes to lights and other small projects but I also feel the lights should have a sleek look to them. For example I'm not a fan of DIY ligths that have wires hanging all over the place and you can see all the inner wire connections made with electrical tape on the outside. That is why if I DIY anything I try to make it look as factory as possible, and I have a strong electrical background with working on large commercial and private industry aircraft.

(edited)

I just need a temporary fixture and thought this would be an interesting project. This is not a display tank, just a place to house mean rambunctious clowns that had to be banished from the DT. If it was to be a permanent fixture, I would build a full hood around it.

There is no comparison in cost to a regular tank fixture. A typical PC or T-5 fixture suitable for this tank, depending on used or new, would probably cost between $75 and $250. My total cost was about $27 for the bulbs, $10 for the adapters, and $8 for the light sockets - I already had the surge strip, reflective paint, electrical sealant, and wood. Eventually these bulbs will end up in household lamps, and since the cost to build this was almost entirely the bulbs, I won't be losing anything when I take the project apart.

This is no more a fire hazard than any regular fixture above a tank or refugium, and given my history with regular tank fixtures I would say it's safer.

-There is no exposed wiring

- There are no connections where water is going to get into them; I sealed the connections between the bulbs and the sockets with a liquid electrical tape sealant (this is NOT tape that could potentially come loose) which seeps in and fills gaps; water can't get above the tank unless someone intentionally pours it on from above

- There is a GFCI on the outlet where this is plugged in

- It's too big for me to knock in the tank;standard fixtures are smaller than tops of tanks and I have been known to knock them in the water, which is why I bothered to cut out the hex-shaped piece of wood that overlaps the top edges of the tank

- The bulbs are held securely onto the wood through small holes that I drilled to connect pieces of coated wire for each individual bulb, with that wire actually going through the bulb - no bulb can go in the water without someone completely smashing the bulb or taking the wire apart out of the drilled holes

The original project was like what I posted a picture of with the bulbs directly in the power strip sticking out horizontally (but less bulbs), then the device suspended somehow over the tank with a piece of foil behind them for reflection - the only thing exposed to water surface on my project is the bulbs themselves.

Edited by treesprite

I will agree to disagree and leave it at that.

I'm all about DIY but when it comes to lights and other small projects but I also feel the lights should have a sleek look to them. For example I'm not a fan of DIY ligths that have wires hanging all over the place and you can see all the inner wire connections made with electrical tape on the outside. That is why if I DIY anything I try to make it look as factory as possible, and I have a strong electrical background with working on large commercial and private industry aircraft.

I'm not sayin I would put it in my living room either but it does have a sweet ghetto jasonthefilterfreak genesequa about it and hey, it's cheap as the title implies.

This project was strictly about practicality and had nothing to do with aesthetics, therefore Reefmontalvo's comment about aesthetics is off-topic. I would simply rather have something ugly that works than something beautiful that is worthless, and that goes for both objects and people.

This project was strictly about practicality and had nothing to do with aesthetics, therefore Reefmontalvo's comment about aesthetics is off-topic. I would simply rather have something ugly that works than something beautiful that is worthless, and that goes for both objects and people.

I don't think his comment is off topic. Just his opinion about DIY lights. I see where he is coming from. I also see where you are coming from. This light fixture fits your needs and budget..yes its a little ghetto, but by posting pictures of it, you should be ready to take some criticism. I used power compact lights very similar to your setup on my breeding tanks. They pretty much did the trick for supplying light, but when it comes to corals they definitely lack the strength.

(edited)

bravo to you forrest for making something that fits your budget, IMO its the true meaning of DIY.

i understand both sides as some people are about practical to them and some people are about aesthetics.

nothing wrong with either of those things. this can work two ways..one person comes up with the idea and another can clean it up into a pretty package.

when i first started i got my first pfo ballast from reefotto (i think). it was an EYE ballast..it fired 2 250w MH and i used VHO actinic to supplement. i really didnt have an algae problem and the corals grew pretty fast...switched to 20k later because i liked the way things colored out.

the only thing different i might have done was paint the bottom side of where the lights mount a gloss white, or used the CF flood lights we all like for our fuges' that way they have a built in reflector.

my .02

oh and i agree with nate...the comment wasnt off topic just an opinion..and thats why we are here...to get others ideas and opinions to help us be better reefers

Edited by GaryL

To explain my comments:

I have every reason to believe that the comments Reefmontalvo gave were not given in a sincere desire to help me improve my project such as constructive criticism would be, but rather were given with an off-topic (alterior) motive that is socially inappropriate. He knows what I'm talking about. Could my assumption be wrong? Yes, I have to concede that I could be wrong because I can't read people's minds, but I am pretty darn sure, based on history, that I am absolutely correct.

For real, as far as aesthetics go, I think it's pretty darn cool that the cord adapters have little lights in them. It's like having a nice fun computer sitting on top of the tank.

Actually, I put the other hexagonal wood piece on top over the wires just laying there - I don't want to go permanently attatching any wood pieces until I'm ready to make a hood with more conventional aquarium lights, plus I broke my saw the other day in the process of trying to cut out sides. I got some black paint when I got the other supplies, thinking that if I did make a hood I would paint it black, but I should use a wood stain to match the stand, not a paint to match the tank trim.

The softies in the tank look happier now that they have more light - xenia perked up, polyps more extended on the green toadstool frag, yellow polyps opened bigger, etc. Of course, going by what people have said, they may soon be accompanied by some happy light-mongering algae. I guess too much algae would not be aesthetically appealing.

(edited)
To explain my comments:

I have every reason to believe that the comments Reefmontalvo gave were not given in a sincere desire to help me improve my project such as constructive criticism would be, but rather were given with an off-topic (alterior) motive that is socially inappropriate. He knows what I'm talking about. Could my assumption be wrong? Yes, I have to concede that I could be wrong because I can't read people's minds, but I am pretty darn sure, based on history, that I am absolutely correct.

For real, as far as aesthetics go, I think it's pretty darn cool that the cord adapters have little lights in them. It's like having a nice fun computer sitting on top of the tank.

Actually, I put the other hexagonal wood piece on top over the wires just laying there - I don't want to go permanently attatching any wood pieces until I'm ready to make a hood with more conventional aquarium lights, plus I broke my saw the other day in the process of trying to cut out sides. I got some black paint when I got the other supplies, thinking that if I did make a hood I would paint it black, but I should use a wood stain to match the stand, not a paint to match the tank trim.

The softies in the tank look happier now that they have more light - xenia perked up, polyps more extended on the green toadstool frag, yellow polyps opened bigger, etc. Of course, going by what people have said, they may soon be accompanied by some happy light-mongering algae. I guess too much algae would not be aesthetically appealing.

I stated my opinion that is all. If I wanted the whole club to comment on a DIY projects that I have performed on my tank then I will post the photos and comments, but I long have stopped the practice of DIY. I'm way toooooo busy with working two jobs and nursing school. The time and cost factor to the same if I just bought the item from the store.

And if you took offense to my comments I apologize but you should realize this is a public place and comments are going to be made.

Also as a person with over 20yrs working with machines, small, large, electrical and mechanical I have learned and been taught safe practices as to what is considered safe and what is not, so I feel in order to help you out I do think your DIY light project is a long drawn out form of a fire hazard. But if you don

Edited by reefmontalvo

I'm not sayin I would put it in my living room either but it does have a sweet ghetto jasonthefilterfreak genesequa about it and hey, it's cheap as the title implies.

As for Ghetto tanks I have seen that as well. :laugh:

I once had my sump/refugium on the out side of my stand on the side complete with cracks and vise grip pliers to restrict the output flow of the pump.

Nice DIY option, Forrest.

Watch for algae and browing out of corals, though. Depending upon the actual spectrum that's emitted, you may see an increase in algae (if the reds are particularly pronounced) especially if you're still dealing with high nitrates. 6500K, however, is one of the bulbs sometimes used in systems as a "daylight" bulb. Some of the 3000-4000K bulbs would be a worse choice, so one has to be a little careful when selecting a bulb like you're showing for this application.

Keep us informed of what you find out from this experience. A lot of progress has been made in this hobby from experiments such as this.

Do take a moment, though, to make sure that you're comfortable that everything in this setup is secure and is going to remain dry. Also, make sure that things aren't getting too hot as to be a fire hazard.

I've seen similar DIY projects on the web where cash-strapped aquarists around the world and in some of the former Soviet republics have used a similar approach for their lighting. I'm not sure that I've seen much in the way of follow-up reporting, though. It'll be interesting if you could document this both in words and photos. I look forward to following this story.

Good luck.

(edited)
What was the total cost of this project?

27 + 10 + 8 = A lot cheaper than buying a fixture from "BRK" (or any other vendor)

I'm not sure why we're bashing someone for taking on a DIY project. It looks like plenty of precautions were taken. As for aesthetics, just look at 90% of the DIY stands on Reef Central.

I've had plenty of DIY projects not work at all, so I applaud you for getting it to work. I might not put it over my tank, but sometimes the project (not the result) is the most fun.

Edited by sdah0414

OK, time for this one to get back on topic. Treesprite and reefmontalvo, bury the hatchet here and let this thread go on. DIY is DIY, doesn't have to look good to work. You guys want to see ugly, why don't you come by Floris one day and see some of the mishmoshed equipment I put together to get tanks running.

Given that I'm trying to move soon and had to shell out for 4 new tires today, I would rather do a few temporary cheap fixes than only be able to address one problem with expensive stuff. When my real tank starts producing frags to sell, I'll be able to avoid having a lot of "temporary" solutions :)

This picture sucks but I'll post it anyway. That green glow is partly because of the lack of actinics (just what is coming from the 50/50 bulb in teh fixture the DIY is resting on), and partly (or mostly) because there is caulerpa behind that acrylic partition (base is black to hide the DSB behind it... believe it or not, I sucessfully spray painted that while it was already sealed in the tank and got no paint on the tank walls!)

lightontank.jpg

Too much light, I disconnected one of the bulbs, so now there are 4. Those are in addition to the 50/50 40 watt PC bulb in the Current USA fixture. I may have to disconnect another one if stuff doesn't start looking better. Some stuff in the tank enjoys the stronger light, but I have a little colt coral frag that has scrunched up (there was not enough light for it before, but now too much or too much all at once).