rock heist

ctenophore

Yeah, sounds fishy to me that no one saw 300,000lbs of rock being moved. If it took him 5 years to collect it how could someone just pick it up and go with it in just one night without being seen? Smells fishy!

Unbelievable...

It would have taken more then one night, more like several weeks to raise, clean and package that much rock. I worked for a live rock wholesaler and it is a specialized boat. No average joe is going to be able to process that much rock. It would have had to of been another wholesaler that had a permit in the area and they ran across a tract that hadn't been maintained so they grabbed.

OR, another possibility which I think is very likely is it is still down there, just covered with sand. The outfit I worked with would dive on the base rock monthly to uncover what the encrouching sand had covered. Sand on the floor is just like sand in the desert, it is always shifting. Sometimes after storms they would lose over twenty feet of a rock row because it was covered. Now think about what can happen in 1 1/2 years unattended with possibly two hurricane seasons.

I think it is a scam. I bet the guy harvested it himself and then reported it stolen. Its impossible for someone to "steal" that much rock without being noticed. I wonder if he is claiming insurance on this.

Aticle says he doesn't have any. It sounds to me like this guy doesn't have a whole lot of experience with what he's doing and just thought it would be a nice investment that would pay off well. I'd say the most plausible thing is what coral hind said, it got covered in sand.

Getting covered in sand seems unlikely. He says there's only rubble left behind. If it was covered, the rubble would be covered as well.

Getting covered in sand seems unlikely. He says there's only rubble left behind. If it was covered, the rubble would be covered as well.

But if the rubble was on the top of the pile... or if he was saying that to have something to say to the reporter(s)...

I dunno. If I had a hundred thousand dollars sitting underwater somewhere, I would go check on it more often. Maybe someone took some, got away with it, took some more, got away with it... maybe even over several months. Or its just under sand, who knows.

It would have taken more then one night, more like several weeks to raise, clean and package that much rock. I worked for a live rock wholesaler and it is a specialized boat. No average joe is going to be able to process that much rock. It would have had to of been another wholesaler that had a permit in the area and they ran across a tract that hadn't been maintained so they grabbed.

OR, another possibility which I think is very likely is it is still down there, just covered with sand. The outfit I worked with would dive on the base rock monthly to uncover what the encrouching sand had covered. Sand on the floor is just like sand in the desert, it is always shifting. Sometimes after storms they would lose over twenty feet of a rock row because it was covered. Now think about what can happen in 1 1/2 years unattended with possibly two hurricane seasons.

The sand explanation is plausible especially if the guy didn't know what he was doing and didn't check on on his stock for over a year. How does someone get into this line of business and not research what it entails? If this is the case then he's an idiot or he's banking on the fact that everyone else is.

I think it is a scam. I bet the guy harvested it himself and then reported it stolen. Its impossible for someone to "steal" that much rock without being noticed. I wonder if he is claiming insurance on this.

GADS!! An inside job! :ohmy:

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for sharing that link. I guess that guy should have done a little more homework before he just dumped 300klbs of rock into the Keys.

No doubt! - thats pretty funny!