ph 8.21

sp gr 1.0295

alk 10.2 dkh

cal 475 ppm

mag 1380 ppm

NO3 16 ppm

PO4 0.02 ppm

temp 74-78 normal range, 70-82 extreme range

all tests with LaMotte, Salifert, and Tropic Marin.

400 10k mh w/ 2) 32w PC's Mag 5 return with eductor. Koralia 2 for circulation. 50w heater. 20 gal fuge on RDP w/ 42w 6500k PC. Rio 90 for circulation. 20 gal sump w/4" DSB.

Very colorful corals with strong growth. Predominantly a softie tank, but I also have LPS and SPS. I haven't found anything that won't grow yet. No nuisance algae blooms.

Maintenance is 15 gal/wk WC.

Daily additions of Reefcode A&B

Fish are fed large amounts of food daily.

Anybody can build a system like this and have any coral they wish to grow.

Anybody can build a system like this and have any coral they wish to grow.

No pictures? :why:

plenty of pictures of my setup on the dedicated tank forum.

I currently grow some montiporas and a golden digitata. I don't have anymore sps because I haven't found a cheap purple monster frag. Yes, I'd put one of those in here with the confidence that it will grow.

The real secret is that he's using Amquel+

JK

Rob, is this the tank I saw at your house?

yes

It's a nice tank, I enjoyed seeing and talking about it when I was there. Ever since I saw it I have been curious about whether or not the big shroom has been eating your fish.

Yes - Rob's tank looks very good. And my frag system has the lowest nitrates of any of my three systems; and it has the most wretched excuse for a skimmer - but a very nice, large (by % of system) macro-filled refugium. So I won't argue the possibilities. But I think you would have to have a 90-gallon refugium for my 240 to get the same results.

bob

Yes - Rob's tank looks very good. And my frag system has the lowest nitrates of any of my three systems; and it has the most wretched excuse for a skimmer - but a very nice, large (by % of system) macro-filled refugium. So I won't argue the possibilities. But I think you would have to have a 90-gallon refugium for my 240 to get the same results.

bob

So go to Scales and get a 120gal for maybe $100 and set yourself up a monster fuge.

I have been using an algae trough for about five years now in my 39 year old tank. After the first 10 years or so the tank started experiencing hair algae blooms. These HA cycles would come every year or two and last a couple of months.

After I built this algae trough which is 6' long and sits at the surface of the tank, to the rear and slightly under the lights, I have not had a HA problem.

Algae grows on the plastic screen in the trough and if it becomes a problem I roll up the screen to be removed and cleaned.

I want algae in my tank as it is the best water purifier there is.

The tank is and has always been healthy. Corals grow well and the fish live disease free forever, some longer than 18 years.

Algae is present on every healthy reef in the sea and if it is not growing in your tank, it may not be as healthy as you believe it to be.

Gobieggs017.jpg

That algae trough reminds me of my calfo overflow... which has a lot of aiptasia in it, but no algae. Maybe I should plant some! I have a great dark green algae that seems to stay pretty much put. Or I could hang one on the back. What kind of lighting do you need for an algae trough? Same as a refugium? Would spill-over light work??

bob

ZYQOTE, I have a lot of pictures of it but I don't want to hijack the thread. This picture and a few others appeared in an aquarium magazine.

CopyofDSC00922.jpg

ZYQOTE, I have a lot of pictures of it but I don't want to hijack the thread. This picture and a few others appeared in an aquarium magazine.

CopyofDSC00922.jpg

Feel free to post anything that you may think is relevant. If you have algal filters- we'd like to see it.

Details man, details!

The trough uses spill light from the main MH lights. It is to the rear of the tank and it shields the back of the tank from light.

The trough gets few from the return of the skimmer which is a 5' homemade venturi model on the back of the tank. I don't use a sump.

DSC01322.jpg

My calfo overflow - AND several inches behind the tank get quite a bit of light from the rear-most pair of T5's (10 80W T5's over my 240). I think an algae trough would work great! Thanks!

(you would have to read my multiple threads about attempts to lower my nitrates... including a remote deep sand bed, etc.)

bob

My algae trough is made from a 4X4" PVC fence post from Home depot. I sliced it so that it is about 2" deep. It is installed on a slight angle so the water which enters from the skimmer runs down a slight incline to where the trough just touches the water about 5' to the right. The plastic window screen in the trough is infused with cement. Algae grows much faster on cement than anything else.

It has kept my tank almost algae free and 100% hair algae free so far. Mine is free to operate being it uses water from the skimmer and light from the main lighting.

Algaetrough001.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I've found that growing the right types of algae at the right time affects the performance of the 'fuge. In the beginning, Halymenia (dragons breath) will grow rapidly when the Nitrates are above 40 ppm. Below 20 ppm, its' growth slows noticeably. Chaetomorpha seems to grow even when the Nitrates fall to around 8ppm.

I've just gotten an ATS and will be placing it so the surge empties into the DT. I plan on using the grow sheet exclusively for Halymenia.