The Marine Scene

Jan

I went to The Marine Scene two weeks ago. The place was immaculate. The livestock were active, open an they appeared healthy and bright. I was impressed with the person that helped me, Jen. She really knows her stuff. I was most impressed when she discouraged me from purchasing a fish that wouldn't do well in my system. A real marine activist. She also didn't have a problem picking up a book and looking something up. No BS. My experience was very positive. This is the kind of place I'd definately go back to. I really appreciate the professionalism, their care for marine animals as well as the time that Jen spent helping me. Thanks for your time and patience Jen. The Marine Scene gets my business.

Marine Scene has been one of my favorite LFS for many years.

I never find myself waiting too long for help or being asked too many times, which is something most other stores get wrong (for me).

Everyone seems very friendly, the place is clean, and they usually have a pretty decent selection of corals and fish that look good.

My overall experience with Marine Scene has been pretty good as well. In general, the people that work there are pretty good. Remember, they used to employ people like Sean @ Aquaco and Phil @ eReefScape. I stopped going to them because I found other stores I liked and they are A LOT cheaper than Marine Scene.

Their price is high for sure...and i had some problem with them.

sometimes, they give you very good deal on live stocks..I got very nice zoath and ricordia from them...for good price..(happY)..

i haven't bought the equip from them but they have great inventory...

In all honesty, their prices are high on some things, yet very low on Others. I find their coral to be well priced, yet some of their fish can be a little high. You just have to look around. Unlike other stores that are eityer completely low or completely high priced, marine scene seems tobe all over the place with some things very expensive and some very cheap. There isn't much of a median it seems....

• 1 month later...

I have not been a fan of the place for one reason I wont get into. I went into the store for the first time in a year a few weeks ago. Tanks looked goo, they got a nice new display tank. I picked up some CUC guys, and thats about it. People were helpful enough. I dod notice that some of the tanks werent nearly as in good shape as I had seen them before

Marine Scene is a great store. I've always had good service there and they have a nice selection of corals and fish. It is worth the trip.

In all honesty, their prices are high on some things, yet very low on Others. I find their coral to be well priced, yet some of their fish can be a little high. You just have to look around. Unlike other stores that are eityer completely low or completely high priced, marine scene seems tobe all over the place with some things very expensive and some very cheap. There isn't much of a median it seems....

Curious but what's cheap there? Great place but I find all their prices are more expensive than the other LFS's.

They do have a great selection there and Yes I have bought from them now and then when I needed a fish others don't have.

My overall experience with Marine Scene has been pretty good as well. In general, the people that work there are pretty good. Remember, they used to employ people like Sean @ Aquaco and Phil @ eReefScape. I stopped going to them because I found other stores I liked and they are A LOT cheaper than Marine Scene.

Thanks for the kind words! I really like that you got the small "e" and a Cap "S" but it is Reef eScape. :o)

Marine Scene is a fine store (honest words from one of their competitors) and the staff is very good. I think prices on livestock are not nearly as bad as some suggest. A few items are over priced, especally in dry goods, but in general close to other LFSs.

Phil

Curious but what's cheap there? Great place but I find all their prices are more expensive than the other LFS's.

They do have a great selection there and Yes I have bought from them now and then when I needed a fish others don't have.

Some of their fish and especially some of their corals. Although not all of the corals are ULTRA RARE and many tend to be slightly more run of the mill (apart from the fact that they're usually pretty large pieces), they are all very well priced. As grav mentioned, I really don't understand why TMS gets so much grief over prices (except dry goods). The majority are cheaper than "a few" "very favored vendors" a ways out, granted "these vendors" do have more of the unusual, rare, etc., but marine scene's pricing often out does them. I really think people need to drop the price complaining and actually look around... Either way, I'm happy to spend money at TMS, and on top of that, has anyone noticed that they're pretty much the only LFS out there that will accept fish returns or sell ins?

Just my gallery_2631577_443_148.jpg

Thanks for the kind words! I really like that you got the small "e" and a Cap "S" but it is Reef eScape. :o)

:clap:

• 2 weeks later...

I appreciate all of the kind words spoken here. For over 13 years we have strived to maintain the best possible shopping experience with a high quality of product. That goes hand in hand with the quality of our staff.

I have always pondered the "price" assumptions. I know for a fact that a number of our coral prices here are less than some of the favored vendors (before the 10% WAMAS discount). At the end of the day we simply want to stay in business and afford our staff the livelihood that allows them to have a good life.

I would also voice my appreciation for your recognition of our staff. I personally feel that our current staff is hands down the best we have ever had. If you haven't been here in a while or at all come say hi.

Thanks again,

Tom

Some of their fish and especially some of their corals. Although not all of the corals are ULTRA RARE and many tend to be slightly more run of the mill (apart from the fact that they're usually pretty large pieces), they are all very well priced. As grav mentioned, I really don't understand why TMS gets so much grief over prices (except dry goods). The majority are cheaper than "a few" "very favored vendors" a ways out, granted "these vendors" do have more of the unusual, rare, etc., but marine scene's pricing often out does them. I really think people need to drop the price complaining and actually look around... Either way, I'm happy to spend money at TMS, and on top of that, has anyone noticed that they're pretty much the only LFS out there that will accept fish returns or sell ins?

Just my gallery_2631577_443_148.jpg

:clap:

At the end of the day we simply want to stay in business and afford our staff the livelihood that allows them to have a good life.

Amen to that!

And you're right, Tom - you have an outstanding staff!!

Not to mention the nicest selection of frozen foods anywhere.

bob

• 2 weeks later...

I'm brand new here, and still don't have a saltwater tank. I'd put myself in the very beginning of researching this before I find a tank. The Marine Scene was the first store I went to, and the staff was very helpful and patient. They didn't mind answering questions, and I spent a good half hour in there just looking at everything.

And yes, I did fall in love with their big tank, the one you see right when you walk in the door. Maybe someday, far in the future. But it's a nice store, I'll definitely be back.

I was recommended to Marine Scene by a friend (a loyal patron of Marine Scene for 10+ years) when I started my tank...in fact, my tank used to be one of their livestock tanks. I was fortunate enough to find some really interesting and moderately priced live rock, healthy fish, and hardy inverts at Marine Scene. Marine Scene's staff has a wealth of knowledge which I've utilized both over the phone and in person. Although some things may be "pricey" for us froogle-reefers, they have a vast selection of product in-stock so you should be able to find whatever you need in those emergency runs or "on a whim" runs.