Can someone explain why I can't edit my posts??

lanman

I've heard people mention not being able to edit posts - but I hadn't run into it before.

I have a post I have been editing to keep track of the spread of a coral in S.W.A.P. for the last two years. Now all of a sudden, I am unable to edit it.

Can someone explain what's going on, and why??

Thanks,

bob

you have 30 minutes to edit your posts, after that they are closed. group buy area does not have that constriction on the first post.

we had issues with folks editing things out things later on down the line...

you have 30 minutes to edit your posts, after that they are closed. group buy area does not have that constriction on the first post.

we had issues with folks editing things out things later on down the line...

Sigh... this isn't exactly the police blotter. I don't think it could be subpoena'd as an official record.

So now I can't even edit my 'for sales' to note when things have been sold, or to note price reductions. I guess I'll have to list each item in a separate thread.

Many Thanks to whoever caused this to happen. I mean really - THANK you! Really truly. Go THANK yourself!

bob

By whom? Is this a law? I am not aware of the new Obama 30 minute edit law.

I believe this is a club that is based upon the needs of the membership. How did this law pass un-noticed?

Yours in confusion,

Quaz

By whom? Is this a law? I am not aware of the new Obama 30 minute edit law.

I believe this is a club that is based upon the needs of the membership. How did this law pass un-noticed?

Yours in confusion,

Quaz

It wasn't passed unnoticed. We had extensive debate when it was initially passed. People were making personal attacks and derogatory comments toward others and then editing those posts down the line so they wouldn't be "caught". Remember bad behavior can result in being banned. I don't know all the specifics, but it was basically a lot of very childish behavior and people not thinking before they post something in the forums. So now, this is what we have. Seeing as how much of the childish behavior hasn't stopped, I'm not sure the officers are going to revisit this issue at any time in the near future.

We did make an exception for the first post only in the For Sale and Group Buy forums. I think it would make sense to extend that to the first post in the SWAP forum since who gets what should be kept track of there.

we had o meeting tonight for a few hours. this came up and seeing if we can set it up similar to the group buys

Seeing as how much of the childish behavior hasn't stopped, I'm not sure the officers are going to revisit this issue at any time in the near future.

Actually, it has improved since this change was enacted. This change doesn't stop all bad behavior, but it was effective against the actions that it was meant to correct. Most forums are set to prevent changes to posts after a certain period of time--maybe for the same reason?

That does stink. Not so much about editing the posts... an irritation at most, I can adapt, it stinks that this kind of action is required.

I say get rid of the offenders with a one-strike-policy.

...People were making personal attacks and derogatory comments toward others and then editing those posts down the line so they wouldn't be "caught". .....

I'm wondering how difficult it would be to keep an "audit trail" of posts, i.e. archive the entire message when it's first posted, but then keep a record of any changes. That would allow users to edit posts as they wished, but if there any question of impropriety, would allow the admins to retrace what was said, and take appropriate action.

Some message board software can do that, dunno (obviously) about this one.

I say get rid of the offenders with a one-strike-policy.

Not sure that this is a good idea, unless you can read the state of mind of the poster. Sometimes people say things in the heat of the moment, or just carelessly....

-R

Hey guys,

Let's give the officers a break here. They already said they met the other night and are looking to make changes to other groups too, in addition the GB. I'd think that if the top post was editable in the FS and SWAP sections that should address 99% of the remaining places where we'd need to edit our posts after 30 mins.

They got tons of crap when people were being stupid. Now they are getting crap for their actions in response to the initial crap. Let's not forget that they are volunteers and not pile things on.

What I think is interesting is that the people who volunteer their time aren't doing the complaining and the complainers aren't the ones volunteering their time...

I agree that we should certainly not give the officers any grief. They have limited options. They picked the one they thought would offer relief. I'm sure they are open to any constructive ideas that people have. In the meantime, we live with it. It's not terribly onerous - just annoying.

bob

I agree with Bob. Of course, this discourse is exactly what the PTB need to see. Good points have been made. Action needs to be taken. If we can have FULL editing back in FS/Trade and Swap that should be good enough.

Full editing in the FS forum will likely never happen again, other than for the original poster of each thread as they obviously need to be able to update the top post as items sell or prices are lowered. Anyone posting below the top post can either edit within the time frame or make another post in the thread to correct or update their previous post. Allowing everyone unlimited edits in that area has caused problems in the past.

For clarity...

I'm not in disagreement with the current plan, or the officers actions. I view this as a mild irritation that we will all forget in a month.

But I still think someone that posts something inflammatory, insulting, derogatory, obscene, foul-mouth, racist, or whatever someone posted in that thread that got taken down and put back up

SEE POST HERE: http://www.wamas.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=27618 on when change was made.

Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

The error returned was:

Sorry, the link that brought you to this page seems to be out of date or broken.

I think you broke the internet Mark :drink: , the link works for me.

Must be because I am only a BB member now.

:wacko:

Must be because I am only a BB member now.

:wacko:

Yep. It appears to be in the members only area.

Text of linked post:

date 'Jan 13 2009, 09:45 PM']

Due to complaints from WAMAS Members, a 30 minute time limit on how long you have to edit your post has been imposed for:

BB Members

WAMAS Members

Vendors

A 24 hour limit has been imposed on:

Vendor Members

Please take the time to proof your post before you hit submit

Thanks

The Officers