Anyone want a 2' Mantis Shrimp

poor_reefer

I just got a shipment of liverock from Tampa Bay Saltwater and there is a 2' mantis chipping away at the rock. I plan on catching him in the next couple of days and want to check to see if anyone is interested before I call around to the local fish stores. I would love to trade/sell him for a few bucks or for a frag, but want to see if anyone is interested. Cheers.

(edited)

what is your location, if you're local I can provide you with a frag

Edited by jason the filter freak

I just got a shipment of liverock from Tampa Bay Saltwater and there is a 2' mantis chipping away at the rock. I plan on catching him in the next couple of days and want to check to see if anyone is interested before I call around to the local fish stores. I would love to trade/sell him for a few bucks or for a frag, but want to see if anyone is interested. Cheers.

TWO FEET??!! Thats crazy! If only I had a tank.. Any idea on the species? Coloration?

I'm guessing he/she just didn't hold down shift my friend and got ' instead of "shift + '" = "

Well won't YOU be surprised!! He did say it ate a few rocks... :)

bob

TWO FEET??!! Thats crazy! If only I had a tank.. Any idea on the species? Coloration?

Probably only 2" ... most likely species from TBS is Gonodactylus smithii. I've had one in a small 10 gallon tank for over 18 months now. He also came to me as a hitchhiker with some TBS rock.

(edited)
Probably only 2" ... most likely species from TBS is Gonodactylus smithii. I've had one in a small 10 gallon tank for over 18 months now. He also came to me as a hitchhiker with some TBS rock.

You got a smithii from Tampa Bay Saltwater? G smithii is an indo-pacific species. I'd think that you are much more likely to find N osterdii - a carribean species that has a purple meral spot (like G smithii). Does the meral spot have a white ring? Do you see a red knob at the base of the uropods?

I have a N wennerae that came from TBS rock. I have been looking for a G smithii for almost a year. They are pretty hard to find.

Jackie

Edited by Hoyden

You got a smithii from Tampa Bay Saltwater? G smithii is an indo-pacific species. I'd think that you are much more likely to find N osterdii - a carribean species that has a purple meral spot (like G smithii). Does the meral spot have a white ring? Do you see a red knob at the base of the uropods?

I have a N wennerae that came from TBS rock. I have been looking for a G smithii for almost a year. They are pretty hard to find.

Jackie

You're right. Can't be a smithii - Wennerae is what I was thinking and what was pulled from their rock (several of them originally) well over a year ago. Very common. I pulled several of them. Most were small but one was upwards of 3 inches long and close to 1/2" wide.

If it's indeed 2 feet, that's dinner. And this thing tastes just like lobster. I think it's even better.

In Roatan, I found N wennerae amd N oerstedii living in very close proximity. Makes me think that we should be seeing both in the (carribean) gulf rock that TBS offers. I have expanded my mantis want list to include a N oerstedii :).

Jackie

2' could you imagine? especially if it was a smasher like smithii, wennerae, and the like. Forget 'thumb splitter' more like a skull 'crusher'.

Some guy on scubaboard posted this one some time ago. He found it off Phuket, Thailand and claims it was a foot long.

2006-03-11-23-55-43.jpg

Not two feet, but still huge.

That guy on bizarre foods on the travel channel was eating them at least a foot long (if not 16-18") in a episode I caught last week sometime.

That guy on bizarre foods on the travel channel was eating them at least a foot long (if not 16-18") in a episode I caught last week sometime.

L maculata is a spearer that gets to be 16" - it is the largest of the stomatopods. I really hope to see one when I go to Indonesia next year (in the ocean, not on a plate).