How poison are zoa polyps?

Jan

I waited an hour before I called the ER as it felt similar to the flu - except the shaking was more extreme and blankets did not stop it.

I'm with you completely... re-living it with this writing. I remember not wanting to get out from under the blankets to walk across the room because I was so cold feeling. But I did, eventually, and then I put on a heavy terry cloth robe and some down slippers before crawling back in bed and under the covers again....

If I only had a canister of O2. I'll have to remember that.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm with you completely... re-living it with this writing. I remember not wanting to get out from under the blankets to walk across the room because I was so cold feeling. But I did, eventually, and then I put on a heavy terry cloth robe and some down slippers before crawling back in bed and under the covers again....

If I only had a canister of O2. I'll have to remember that.

:). We should all keep one around:). Plus they work for diving too.

BTW, the ER tested me for the flu. It was negative.

• 5 years later...

I am resurrecting this because I want to get rid of a large number incredible hulk palys that are growing on one of my large rocks.  Curious to see what methods of injections have worked.  

I am resurrecting this because I want to get rid of a large number incredible hulk palys that are growing on one of my large rocks.  Curious to see what methods of injections have worked.  

take the rock out of the tank and let the sun work its' magic on it. When the rock is white, all of the palys should flake off easily.

Take the rock out and let it sit outside for weeks. Killing them in the water will cause the poison to get in the water only to be nebulized into the air for you and your family to breath in.

take the rock out of the tank and let the sun work its' magic on it. When the rock is white, all of the palys should flake off easily.

Take the rock out and let it sit outside for weeks. Killing them in the water will cause the poison to get in the water only to be nebulized into the air for you and your family to breath in.

I agree with both of these. It's probably the easiest approach. Be careful, though, with the dust or flakes that might come off at the end and don't breath it in. I don't know if there's any evidence that the palytoxin protein breaks down or survives drying out. Better to be safe and just assume that it's toxic.

seriously though, there are many poisonous animals in this hobby that we take for granted. Here are few more species to be wary of:

Puffers- tetradotoxin

Triggers- ciguarotoxin

Foxface- unknown toxin (I'm sure it's known, but not to me)

Lionfish- venomous

Stonefish- venomous

Cone snails- venomous

Urchins- venomous

Live rock abrasions- sometimes causes "reef rash"

This can be a dangerous hobby if you aren't cautious. Instead of worrying about the toxicity of your tank inhabitants, just realize that electricity kills more people and burns down more houses.

Should have included euphyllia corals. Should also include things we don't purposefully put in out tanks, like hydroids.Is there anything else?

Edited by treesprite