Need answer quick!

droyal1110

So I glued my baffles in on Sunday, it is now 48 hours later and they are more than dry. Did a leak test and I have 3 leaks.

sump.jpg

The red circles indicate where the leaks are... unfortunately they are all on the side that I was working from, probably why they leak in the corners. They are slow leaks but leaks none the less. The DT drains in the the drain section, overflows into the fuge section, overflows into the return section.

How important is it to seal these leaks? Like I said they are slow leaks, the strength of the baffles appear to be good because I pulled on them quite a bit with water filled in that particular section.

My reasoning being since water is flowing and is filling the following chambers, why do they have to be absolutely sealed?

Any help is greatly appreciated, looking for an answer tonight! Under a huge time constraint and I have a busy schedule for the next 2 weeks.

I plan on putting sand in the fuge area and the reason why its a big deal is because I don't really have time to let it cure for another 24 hours. The entire system was supposed to soak by tonight =/

So sand going in the fuge, its not pouring out but its a leak none the less. Just take my chances?

I don't think there will be enough flow to cause the sand to travel once it settles. You should be fine.

Roll the reef epoxy putty into long cylinder and seal the leak if you don't want to empty the sump for silicone repair. If they're just tiny leaks which no particles are being passed through then don't worry.

It sounds like it's a really, really small leak. You're going to be fine with it as is.

Thanks for your help guys. For some reason my 3/4 inch slip to threaded doesn't fit the 3/4 inch PVC pipe, even though it says its supposed to on the fitting so I couldn't finish the system tonight anyways. I ended up just draining the sump and drying the seals and used up almost the other half of the tube of aquarium silicone I have, no way its going to leak now.

Again thanks so much, I'm just going to be a day behind now =/

True true. I'm just under so much pressure trying to coordinate a million things. This move is killing me and not to mention I still haven't heard back from the now job I'm supposed to be getting :sad: I may be commuting an extra 30 minutes until I find a new one.

But I do agree and I'm not trying to rush things, its just I have a deadline unfortunately and its all I can swing in order to move into my new place and move the fish tank as well.

my sump has been leaking since the first week :)

it's seems to be doing OK. no macro bubbles, and the sand doesn't move between the baffles...

but i think if you can you should add some more silicon or something.

(edited)

Yea like I said I decided to just roll with it and hope for the best. Never thought of using the aqua putty as a quick fix, good idea. However since the fitting I had for my return pipe for some reason doesn't fit the PVC pipe enough though it says its supposed to, I get set back anyways. So I tried the sump and re-siliconed everything just about. No way its going to leak now =D

Edited by droyal1110

if its in a sealed sump its certianly not the end of the world, if you're really worried about it you can fill the little holes with frag epoxy, or drain the bugger and fill the gaps with silicone, being that its not going to be load bearing/retaining strenght you need from the silicone, an hour or two tops to dry should be fine

Oh wow I thought it was a definite 24 hour cure again. My biggest concern was the leak to and from the fuge, I didn't want sand blowing around (although I don't think the leak was strong enough) and I didn't want sand leaking out into the return area.