Gorgonians

trockafella

Photosynthetic ones are pretty much as easy as any soft coral. They also tend to be brown. Non-photosynthetic ones are the pretty ones but are far more difficult to keep long term as they require frequent feeding of specific food particle sizes. Some are easier than others, but generally they are on the difficulty scale next to dendronepthya, scleronepthya and similar nonphotosynthetic softies.

(edited)

I have a "purple sea plume" I got from Sea Life Inc last year as a "nano frag". It's about 5 times as big as it was when it arrived. Haven't done anything to it except glue it to a rock.

Edited by Stephen

I have the purple one with brown polyps too. Pretty much any gorgonian with brown polyps or stalk means it's hosting zooxanthellae and therefore photosynthetic.

I love gorgonians, and while the photosynthetic ones may not be spectacularly colored, IMHO they can look pretty cool:

aDSCN2192.jpg

DSCN2163.jpg

Cheers,

-R

(edited)

I'm a newbie. I purchased a purple ribbon gorgonian, like the ones picured in the replies here, about 2 weeks ago and it's doing great. Nice growth so far.

Edited by Jan

i have a red Gorgonian, it's definitely one of the prettier pieces in the tank, unfortunately it only opens once every couple of days. but man when it opens it's amazing, it has those big white polyps, against the red-Burgundy stems.... AMAZING!