DIY  KALK reactor folks

flowerseller

I second what Gary said. Thanks to all for meeting last Sunday. Can someone put together who we still owe money to.

What's the next step, and do we have a time for the next party.

Thanks Chris

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once people can get here to a glue party, they're done.

We're cutting out  and doing 17 kits and that's a lot. Now each guy is gluing his own.

As I mentioned early on, we had bottle necks because we needed the one big sheet of plexi for several steps and they could only be done after each other and not similtaniously. Once we got a bunch of circles cut, we were making bases and triming up rings and cutting groves all simo. I only own one router and circle cutter.

At the glue party this past weekend (day 2) 1 kit was glued complete and several others were part glued.

We also split up 5 bags of lime, all in less than 1.5 hours.

Heck, I glued 2 complete kits and most of another in less than 1.5 hours last night. Including drilling and taping the 3 holes in the lid.

I guess I could have been more organized but I got to many plates in the air right now and I've never made one of these let alone show others how to use the tools and how to make it.

I'm having fun and hope you all are too. This is just a really large (lots of people) project that had another confussing project (lime) dumped on top of it that I was not expecting to be in charge of.

I guess that's why I'm called "Cheif"

Can I change names now?

tng

Guest HVF21221
Ooooh, A henweigh. If it includes eating pizza at your place I'm in! Howard

Chief,

I need a little help.

A Henweigh. Is it exactly a Hen Weigh  as to

weigh a Hen ?

Could not find the meaning in my websters.

-krish

Well,

So you plan to constuct a beam balance.

Lets get the bellows cranking and the coals fired.

Will need to see tar/charcoal marks on Chiefs face

from the blacksmithery  :)

-krish

Guest clownfish4
I just saw a link to a reactor that has a spin off top drilled into the bolted top.  This way you just unspin the cap to add kalk and don't have to remove all the thumb bolts except for cleaning.  Seems like a really good idea if we can manage it.

And the link is.........

I've seen similar however I don't plan on doing this to mine now since unless it's a pretty good sized opening you're bound to make a mess trying to get he kalk in the opening. The powder doesn't sink right away. I didn't suggest this for that reason.  You can do it now, I'll show you how or try it this way and do the hole later. There is plenty of room for a 1" fitting but even that seems hard to me to fit the kalk in with a mess. Not as bad as putting tooth paste back in the tube or even a henweigh for that matter.

BTW - I made the arch for the oven chimney and sides and also continued up with the fireplace chimney since the oven cladding is done now.

Guest clownfish4
Wow, your making a lot of progress Chip!  I think I am going to avoid the hole and keep the possibility open for later.  When can we stop by to finish up the gluing and drilling?

Guest clownfish4
Monday, Tuesday, or Friday evenings work for me next week.

Here is a bad pic of a kalk reactor that we made at the DIY kalk reactor party. We followed the design of the Howard who posts as HVF21221. Thanks for the advise Howard, I'll repay you in BOP

I will try and get a better pic. This is my first picture post you know? Notice the little acrylic teepee down there by the tubes of glue? The teepee covers the hole needed in the base to cut the groove for the tube to ride in. I think it makes it stronger since theres more area to glue.  There are also a couple of bases, rings and tops next to the teepee. You can actually see the groove that we also cut in the top ring, again to make it stronger and also because we could.

123kalk_1-med.jpg

This is a pic of the cement/vermiculite cladding stage of our wood fired brick pizza oven that's competing for my time with this DIY kalk reactor. There's 720lbs of cladding alone.

I'm having alot of fun doing both the reactor (met alot of cool fishheads) and the brick pizza oven as well as juggling my 3 boys, their schedules and of course my wife.

I also find time to make it into work regularly.

I'm a florist so if you're going to call somewhere for flowers, I'd appreciate it if you called us.

123DVC00458-med.jpg

Guest Houshan

Okay ... I gotta attend one of these DIY parties in the future.

I mean first a reactor ... now a pizza oven!  bsg

Daaaanngg .... My hats off to you!! :D

If the glue arrives and we get the power cord fittings, we plan to have a glue session on Wednesday from 7:30 - 9:00.

You need at least 1 hour to glue. Please don't arrive much later than 8:00 and expect to stay & glue till you finnish.

If you haven't even started your unit, you may want to wait or expect to come back on a Sunday later this month. Maybe the 24th since I am really busy most of the rest of the time till then.

Send me a PM so I get an idea of what to expect.

Chip

Guest clownfish4
That's no good!  I have class from 7:30 to 10:30 on Wednsdays and Thursdays.  Any other day of the week is good though.

Since I had only 1 Wednesday maybe and a lot of NO GOODs, I plan to move the glue session to Sunday 10/17 from 10:00 - 12:30.

You need at least 1 hour to glue. Maybe more if you have more than 2 thumbs or less than 8 fingers.  tng

Please don't arrive much later than 11:00 and expect to stay & glue till you finnish.

I have to leave at 1:00 with my family for a cub scout event.

I'm willing to swap Sundays so this is the next Sunday glue party. After this, it will be several weeks out before I pool more time together for another glue. If you want to come a watch or start, you can take your kit and do some sanding and finnish up another time or at home in your spare time.

Chip

BTW, I do not plan to use my JG fittings as I have different ones that are better for my particular application. I'm happy to still buy them or someone may want to buy them since Doug got us a really nice price on them. Nice job Doug.

I will be there on Sun morning with the glue and the frags I got you from the fragfest. If you would like the glue on Wed, I will be glad to drop off after work.

Cheers

Sunday, might be good for me too.

Hey check out this link:

http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-jones/_kalkwasser_.html

Goes to show even "cheap" Kalk can work just as good as the "expensive" stuff :)

Howard

Doug,

Thanks for the offer to bring over the glue early but no need since we'll do it on Sunday.

I appreciate you willing to go out of the way.

PS, don't forget the frags and YGM.

Chief

Guest Ruh Roh

I am in Church till 12 on Sunday so it looks like I am out, but No worries I can run by and just grab the stuff get it out of your way and finish it at home. I have the gasket rings to drop off with you as well.

(Sorry about not calling back last night it was 11 and I assumed you'd be in bed)