DIY  KALK reactor folks

flowerseller

<font color='#000000'>HOW,

I would like to make a kalk reactor and upgrade my current system of vat/powerhead/float switch. While this has worked very well for 10+ years, I want to maximize my additions of Calcium Hydroxide which I still believe is important.

I plan to get a group together and hopefully start building sometime before mid October and complete quickly.

I will become the "Chief" (if you will), but will not wear feathers.

To do this we need:

1. people interested to sign on and participate. participation is a must!

2. a clear plan that makes/ satisfies the tribes goal.

3. tools I don't have that we believe we need.

4. someone to be the "get supplies/acrylic guy".

5. time flexibility

6. someone to search for ideas we may want to follow. I'm thinking 6" tube and as tall as 18-24"

7. People to help our buddy Howardofnova move tank in mid Sept. (all on horseback of course - bareback no less)

8. someone to find a smiley face w/feather that says "HOW" to add to the current collection. 8 Free nylon thumb screws to this creative person.

I will host this in my little TEEPEE here in McLean, VA.

Chip

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I'm drafted  [beer2]

Mid Oct works for me! Let me know when your ready to roll & what you need from me oh Chief Wantahockalugee! "nemo" :)

Oog Ga Shocka! Oog Ga Shocka! Oog Ga Shocka!

Howard

KR620SS.jpg

KRLID.jpg

recirc1.jpg

Reaction Tube Diameter  6"

Reaction Tube Height  18"

Base Diameter  7.75”

Water inlet and outlet size  1/4"

Pump  Maxi-Jet 250

www.usplastic.com

#44550 6" OD x 5 3/4" ID Acrylic Tubing  $8.62 Foot (Sold in 6foot sections only.)   $13.00 each 18" section

44361 Acrylic Sheet 24" x 24" 1/4" Thick $16.42 Sheet (9 8"x8" per sheet) need 3 8"x8" per reactor = $5.50

91577 Nylon Wing Nut 5/16-18 Thread $0.11 Each 8 $1.00

91268 5/16-18 x 1" Nylon Hex Head Screw $0.19 Each 8 $1.60

http://www.drsfostersmith.com

#CD-517501 Maxi-Jet Model 400 (106 gph) $13.99

Plus "O" ring & misc ½" & ¾" pipe/tubing/clamps for the MaxiJet, 2 John Guest ¼ x 3/8 mpt fittings and a digital timer.  Plus you'll need a dosing pump or auto top off system.

The challenge is to figure out how to plumb the MaxiJet (¾" OD inlet & ½" OD outlet.)

Guest mikesroth
Ok, my turn for a stupid question.  What is a KALK Reactor? And how is that different from a Calcium reactor?

A kalkreactor is for dosing Kalkwasser (Calcium Hydroxide), it's used more to maintain Ca & Alk. (as apposed to increasing Ca & Alk)

A Calcium reactor uses Co2 to dissolve a calcium media and is required for systems with a higher calcium/Alk demand.

I preferrer to use both on my tanks, as the Kalk Reactor will offset the Calicum Reactor's tendency to drop the system's pH levels.

HTH

Glenn

Glenn,

I'm preparing your brave feather and diligently chipping away at an arrowhead for your efforts so far.

Nice work! From a glimpse of these pics, We can easily rout out what I see with the exception of the keyholes for the thumb screws.

On my CA reactor, I just taped the lower ring and threaded in the TS. I have about 15 - 4.5 O-rings we can inlay between the top 2 rings

Do you have a link for the PM company that made the first pic?

Chief Wannakalkreactor

I'd be interested as well- I have lots of tools - that might be able to fill a gap.

My availablity is limited during the fall but let me know when and I'll try to plan.

You know, this might actually work?  [nana]

Hey I got tools too!

A Big Sledge hammer

Ladder

Wheel Barrow

Water Hose

Hedge Trimmers

Weed Wacker

I'll bring those too! tng

I 'm in and ready for orders chief..

Tools to add

Small table saw

Router

Router table

hand tools

bottle opener

cooler

beer.

OOOps last 3 tools to be used after all the cuting is done..

and Howard I'm here to help when you are ready to move your tank. I am going to practice next weekend by moving a 75 about 40 miles.

wish me luck :)

Chris

i would like to be in too.

tools: miter saw with a plastic cutting blade

Sharpee

Tape Rule

Lawn mower

Fertilizer speader

Palm sander...... ok sorry mine is not that funny :p

G

Please count me in on the kalk reactor.  I have a bit of acrylic already but need to inventory before contributing. May cut down on a some of the order.

I built mine, it is pretty easy.  The key is getting a lid that can keep a seal and making sure your maxi jet plumbing does not fail or leak.  other than that its not bad.  Good luck.  

Sam

I like this  idea also. I have an idea, but would like to know more about how the power cord is glued. I think we can keep it from leaking.

Looks like we have as many as 9 people so far, before we get any/many more we should get a firm plan together before it gets harder to agree upon a design.

Sam do you have pics or a tutorial you care to share.

Is there a chat feature we can all meet at and circle the wagons?

ChiefChip Wannakalkreactor

I would like to participate in this adventure. Unfortunately I don't have access to materials, but I've got mucho denaro.

Unfortunately I don't have access to materials, but I've got mucho denaro.

Wanna trade? :) maybe we should make a time to meet in the chat room, say maybe Sunday some time, or when ever we all agree on a time. Just a thought, G

I just registered as "chief" and went in to a public chat I started called   diy

It's cool.

See if you can get into it and say something in it.

Once we can all get in then we'll set a time to chat.

I maybe can for a bit Sunday evening say 9:00p

We had a great chat in the WAMAS chat room. It works well!

We have decided on this design but maybe a few modifications. I plan to talk to Howard and see if he suggests any changes (now that it's in use) other than what I plan us to modify.

Thanks to all who participated and we'll plan another one soon to finalize our project.

Chip

Hey Chief?

Sounds good, LMK when you all want to get together for this?

Howard