DIY  KALK reactor folks

flowerseller

I got the check valve and after some fussing around with and watching the good news unfold on TV, my reactor is online and functioning superbly now for 24hrs.

The valve is awesome, the swing style, and very well made.

Since I use a float valve, want to continue with this system, and wanted to put the reactor where I wanted to, it quickly became apparent I had to have a check valve to accomplish all my goals.

I must say however:

This thing ROCKS!

I use the digital timer so the stiring becomes automatic too.

I'm pretty sure stuffs growing already.

What are you all seeing in the functioning of your $70.00 kalk reactor?

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest clownfish4
My reactor is working great!  I haven't tested my calcium or anything, but my corals look nice and healthy.

I fill up a bucket w/ ro water & pump it into the reactor w/ a float switch, but when the water level in the bucket is lower than the top of the reactor it backflows into the bucket, the same problem of backflow w/ my set up as Chip had. Krish told me about using a solinoid valve and float switch. I've got the switch, but don't have a valve. Any comments on pros & cons of solinoid vs. check valve?

Guest clownfish4
What kind of pump are you using?  I have a 5g bucket that is completely above my reactor and I just gravity feed with no back siphoning.  But I would like to get a pump, check valve, and bigger container.  So suggestions on good but cheap pumps is appreciated.

You need a small pump so that it doesn't dump alot of kalk very quickly, but a large enough pump to pump water up to the head hight of the reactor.

Chip,

I checked on the McManster Carr website & only found metal check valves. Did you find a plastic valve, or is a metal valve a non issue because the RO water is non corrosive?

The Lowes in Sterling has them as well. I picked up a few this weekend.

However, they were out off the 1/4-20 1 and 1.5" nylon screws.

-krish

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone had to add more kalk to thier reactor since they set it up?

I started out with about 1.5 cups and had not needed to add.

I used 1/2 my reagent hydroxide and 1/2 mississippi lime in order to make a transistion over to the lime.

I can't tell you enough how happy I am with this thing and am clearly seeing a difference.

While I'm in OH I'm finishing a skimmer for Howard and working on my twin Tube Calcium Reactor that got interupted by the kalk reactor which first got interupted by the pizza oven.

Hey Chip

I had to add kalk once after the initial load. The  kalk in the bottom never fully dissolved but I noticed my PH started going back down. So I tested the kalk and found the PH of the kalk mix dropped to 10. I added more and it's been solid ever since.

I agree with you my growth has exploded, my staghorn frag I got at the meeting has put almost an inch on since I got it.

Chris

Never had to reload mine. The pH is still holding up at 12.

New coraline is now beginning to grow in small patches. This means, there is

enough Ca left after the SPS have sucked up their share.

-krish

• 4 weeks later...
mine has been making noise from about the 1st couple of weeks. it still mixes though. i think its just from the kalk building up around the magnet of the impeller.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm curious how often you guys have your kalk stir up?

I'm at once a day for 5 minutes and that seems to be fine.

I don't see a formation on the bottom and it seems to be fluffy.

Chip

Guest clownfish4
I am doing a full cleaning of mine right now because it isn't mixing as well and is pretty nasty.  I added kalk once.  One problem is I have a small leak through the electrical fitting.  So I am going to slap some silicone or something on it.  Overall I am VERY happy with the results!