Auto topoff - relay + float swtich

dchild

So we need at least one more soldering iron?

I have wire clippers & need a sheet of plywood for my remodeling, I guess I can pick that up on the way.

Is this for a work table or do we need it to be cut up? (which probably won't work if that is the case)?

Now on this subject: "Note that we have left out the two aspects of how to mount the boards and how to mount the switches"

What would you recommend we bring to house these? single or double receptacle box? or something else?

Howard

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

David,

I have 2 irons. One is the heavy duty gun and the other is the very low

watt one for handling SMD stuff. I normally use the gun on the PCB.

I can bring it with me. I have the wire cutter as well.

Solder/rosin flux, multimeter. what else we need?

-krish

I have built one and posted in the gallery what it looks like - you can't see it there but all the connectors are labeled.  The traces are exposed, so this will definitely need an enclosure, I recommend the blue plastic boxes you buy at HD, then put a duplex (outlet) in there.  The more irons the better, even if we don't use them all, and plywood is just for a working surface.  See you all tomorrow!  I will try to bring some change, but checks work just fine since $13 isn't a nice cash-friendly number.

He lives somewhere close to me.

-Krish

Thanks Krish, that narrows it down a bit.  tng

I think he's closer to the henweigh than you are. :D

I will have to meet with the eagle canidate this afternoon/evening and will have to miss all this fun. Howard has offered to pay may way so can I still get the board part and finish up at home later?

Chip

Carribean Jake right?  He posted directions earlier in this thread

-------------------------

Ok here are the directions to my house.  address:

13401 Alfred Mill CT,  Herndon, VA  20171

and if you get lost call 703.437.1889

Take 7100 - Fairfax County Parkway

(South if coming from Toll Road, or North if coming from Springfield)

Turn into West Ox Road (Right if coming from Toll Road, or Left if coming from Springfield)

Continue about 1.3 miles and look for Floris Lane on the left hand side. Turn left into Floris Lane.

Turn right into Alfred Mill CT.

House sits on corner of Floris Lane and Alfred Mill CT. (13401)

If you want you can use Map Quest for better directions.

thanks guys for a great building party. for everyone who got the  stuff together thanks again, and thanks to jacob for hosting. nice tanks there!

Great get together yesterday folks!

Jacob was a great host and beautiful tanks! AWESOME SIR!

STEVEN "Sensei" was a excellent teacher of the fine art of Electronics! Thanks you sir with sharing your wisdom with us!!!

We got everything finished in no time...ok 4 hrs of no time but turned out very nicely! Will post pictures shortly!

Howard.

PS, Chip I have your PCB & 2 Topoffs,

Chris, ditto with your setups and already taken care of

with Steven on funds as well.

Doug & Kannon, Sorry to miss you as well, see Krish for your units.

Good time-

Learned that soldering circuit boards are a pain, and not suprisingly that I have no apptitude for it. I also learned that with the tallent we had at the party that no amount of ham fisted soldering could deter them from making a functing board out of the results. A neat little top off design and device. Thanks for all the assistance. I have to second the comments on your tanks Jake! - They were quite impressive! keep up the great work you are doing on them. Let me know when real estate crowding in your tanks become a problem and I will happily help you prune for frags.  :D

Ok Guys few things;

Steven – what pump you recommend?  You mentioned 5 AMP only right?  Do you have a model in mind?    wndr

Lee - I will let you know when parcels need trimming

Everyone – I am glad you guys enjoyed the Caribbean Hospitality, and thank you for your words on my tanks.

[hro

Thanks everyone!

Jacob, you can run up to 10 amps through this, you won't need a pump nearly that big.  Any powerhead will work just fine.  Slower flow is probably better b/c it is not as quick of a temperature shock, but it doesn't really matter.  A Maxijet 1200 is capable of pumping 4ft up if you are adding water directly to your tank.

Make sure the end of the tube which dumps water into the sump is ABOVE WATER!! Otherwise you will siphon saltwater into your topoff reservoir.

I think what Jacob was refering to was "5 volts". The 5 volts is for the float switches (2 far right connections). The pump/PH will be connected to the 110v (2 middle connections). The 2 left connections are for wires comming from house receptacle (110 volt also). I have mine wired this way, and it is working great. Thanks everyone who helped in this project. It was a great success.

Ditto all the great comments again.

Here is a picture of the Before PCB:

122Steven_s_PCB_Before.jpg

The brains:

122Steven_s_PCB_Control_Board-med.jpg

After:

143float_switch2.jpg

Howard

The Gang with Sir Steven:

Clockwise from Door: Lee, Gary, Luke, Jacob and Steven:

122Clockwise_from_Door_Lee_Gary_Luke_Jacob_Steven2-med.jpg

Krish, Howard, Chris, Kannon and Doug not pictured

Howard

• 9 months later...

I'm currently using my PCB to control my sump pump w/ a float switch submerged in the sump (normally closed circuit when floating) and a second float switch mounted on my main tank top brace (normally closed circuit when not floating).

This is because I have an overflow box that can loose siphon and flood the tank. With the float switches in place, any change in water level in the tank &/or sump turns off the sump pump until water level returns to normal.

The problem w/ this setup lies in the fact that when I put my hand in the main tank the float switch rapidly turns on & off w/ the ripples of the water, causing the sump pump to sing. the sound would look something like this "ZPTPszzZPTPszzzZPTszzzZPSTntsntsntsnnn". I've lost one Mag 7 already.

Any idea how to add to the PCB to have it cut off power to the sump pump for a set period of time, say (5) seconds?

I'm thinking it would be called something like a time delay capacitor, but have no real clear idea. Please help. TIA.

Luke C.

"ZPTPszzZPTPszzzZPTszzzZPSTntsntsntsnnn" :bomb: :end:

Run Luke! Run! :D

I hated to see this post, it reminded me of all the work that we did and my unit is still collecting dust and yet to be hooked up! ugh!

Cut a larger peice of pvc to go around the float switch as a wave block?

I have never looked into a electronic solution, but will try and look around.

Thanks for the reply Doug. Unfortunatly, it is the sensitivity of the switch that makes the electrical signal flicker w/ the raise in water level. This PVC idea may help, but I'd rather an electronic solution ilo PVC to minimize visible stuff in the tank.

I hated to see this post, it reminded me of all the work that we did and my unit is still collecting dust and yet to be hooked up! ugh!

Your underutilized unit notwithstanding, I think this is the wrong forum for that kind of post. I mean really, this is a family website!

:blink:

Luke

I've done a bit of thinking and I know that this can be done. It involves soldering a decent size capacitor to the left of the two float switch terminals (- side of cap) and to the output of the regulator chip. I've just moved into a new place though and it may be a little while before I can unpack the soldering iron to test it out.

Steven

Luke

I had the same problem. All I do is turn off the feed pump before putting my hands in the sump pump. Once I'm finished, just turn the feed pump ON again, and no problem. Now, if you forget to turn it ON then you have a problem if you don't check your system daily and often. Otherwise it should be that simple and "cheap"...

when are you guys going to do this again? I had a float switch for my top off and it is now stuck on because i hooked my rio to it and i am assuming it ruined it. LMK

Luke

I had the same problem.  All I do is turn off the feed pump before putting my hands in the sump pump.  Once I'm finished, just turn the feed pump ON again, and no problem.  Now, if you forget to turn it ON then you have a problem if you don't check your system daily and often. Otherwise it should be that simple and "cheap"...

44544[/snapback]