Anybody ever successfully re-sealed a glass aquarium?

steveoutlaw

So, I ordered my starfire cube from glasscages despite everything I've heard. I followed the directions and waited a month before putting any water in it. I just did the water test today and............one of the bottom seams is leaking. It's not worth even contacting them because all I could expect is a replacement tank that I'd have to pay shipping for AND I couldn't even get that unless I paid to ship mine back to them AND they determined that it was their fault........I haven't heard that H-E-double hockey sticks is getting any colder, so.......

Looks like I'm going to have to cut this thing apart, clean all the edges and re-seal it.......unless there is someone who is experienced in re-sealing that can help me out. :biggrin:

Edited by steveoutlaw

I've successfully resealed several tanks, completely resealed my 75g, resealed a 55 for a friend. Currently in process of resealing a 54g corner tank and a 120g (migrating the 75 into it afterwards).

There were others of various sizes, just never done anything over the 75, but I doubt it would be any different.

Edited by Kevin Garrison

So how is it done? Do you attach one piece, let it dry, and then attach another piece? Do you do the silicone in-between the glass, let it dry and then do the corner bead or do you do it all at once? Will new silicone adhere to dry silicone? How long do you have to let it dry before you can water test it?

Thanks.

Thanks George.......that is helpful. The issue I'm running into is that my cube is rimless so I have to get silicone in the area in-between where the glass panes meet. Once I figure out how to best do that, then I can look at doing the corner beads and that link will come in very helpful.

So how is it done? Do you attach one piece, let it dry, and then attach another piece? Do you do the silicone in-between the glass, let it dry and then do the corner bead or do you do it all at once? Will new silicone adhere to dry silicone? How long do you have to let it dry before you can water test it?

Thanks.

Well, in the case of the 75 I cut out and scraped the inside sealant so all the inside surfaces were cleaned. Then I started with the bottom seams and ran a bead along one seam and used a tongue depressor to make a nice seam. You can also get various tools at Lowe's and Home Depot to give it a nice seam. Once you have the bottom seams done, use the same process on the side seams. Mine dried for 24hrs and held water with no leaks and no issues well over a year and a half later.

In your situation where a seam is leaking, you may want to cut just that piece of glass out and run a new bead between the panes and then use the inside procedure. If you want a hand, I'll be glad to come down and give you a hand.

How wide is the gap between the glass panels in that picture? There should be silicone between the panels but that looks like silicone being used to fill a gap caused by a panel cut too short. If so, I wouldn't trust it no matter how much silicone is used!

Bob - That is one of the Elos tanks........that's how they do all of their rimless tanks. It's the same way with the Solana, but a smaller gap. The gap looks to be about 1/8" on the Elos and about 1/16" on the Solana.

all I could expect is a replacement tank that I'd have to pay shipping for AND I couldn't even get that unless I paid to ship mine back to them AND they determined that it was their fault

Is that their policy, or what you expect.

Sad news bud :(

If you are going to reseal the whole thing, go directly to a source of adhesives. Do not use silicone that may have been on a shelf for an extended period of time. Freshness maters.

My strategy would change depending on exactly where the leak is located and how the offending panel is located in the construction. If it is a panel set on top of the other three, I would consider removing only that panel set the cushion bead and reset the panel. If you are rebuilding from scratch, consider some quality 90 degree angle clamps to assist with tweaking. A bag of tile spacers might be handy while putting the cushion beads in place depending on whether you have a method of raising and lowering the panels.

Best of luck in the procedure.

fwiw: I have used Dow 795 and 999a in the past:

http://www.dowcorning.com/applications/sea...MATL&bhcp=1

Purchased by calking tube and case at Kenseal:

CHANTILLY

KENSEAL CONSTRUCTION PRODUCTS CORP

TEL: +1 703 263 0730

3933 AVION PARK COURT NORTH

CHANTILLY VIRGINIA 20151

map

website: http://www.kenseal.com/custom.cfm?name=usD...y=Northern%20VA

Steve, I've got no knowledge of this but you may want to check with Glass Cages and see just what kind of sealant they use before putting just anything on. It may not be just your run of the mill silicone sealant....

I've already taken the entire tank apart and I'm working on getting the old silicone off. That's probably going to take me the entire weekend and lots of razorblades and rubbing alcohol.

I'm going to be using the All Glass Aquariums silicone to put it back together, but haven't decided if I'm going to use clear or black. I already have a couple of corner braces to make sure the glass is at a right angle when I re-assemble it. My only question on this is if I need to put it back one joint at a time or if I need to do the whole tank all at once.

Re-sealing you will need spacers (as pointed out before). You can get thin silicone spacers at HD or Lowes. You can leave these in as the spacers become close to invisible and help setup. Clamp or use duct-tape to hold the glasses together. You don't want to squeeze the silicone out. Trim later with razor blades.

Nadir

Edited by www.fishnreef.com

Ok, a couple of questions:

1. Will acetone remove traces of existing silicone?

2. They are talking about constructing the tank with the side panes sitting on the bottom......this one was cut with the side panes attaching to the side of the bottom pane.

3. This tank was assembled so I could barely fit a razorblade inbetween the panes of glass. Using spacers will keep the glass further apart. I'm using 1/2" glass for a 60g cube.......how much should I space the glass?

4. How can you leave a spacer in.......won't this weaken the silicone seal in that area?

Thanks for the help.

Steve

wow just following along. I am very curious to see the outcome. Good luck. If this works well, which I hope it does you will actually have gained a lot of knowledge on how to build your own future tank. To bad it happend because of a poorly made tank.

Steve,

I imagine the "front" and "back" of the tank overlap both sides and the bottom? If you are constructing the tank solo, you might need to use the same method previously linked but substitute the front or the back as the main component. It would be nice if Glass Cages would advise if they lay the tank on it's back during initial construction.

Maybe Glass Cages will even let you borrow a pair of suction cups to ease assembly:

http://glasscages.com/?sAction=ViewCat&lCatID=57

Best of luck.

Scott

The way that this is set up, the front and back pane overlap the bottom pane and the side panes. This being the case, I'm thinking about using the back pane as the main component but having the tank sitting upright once all panes are attached and clamped.

I'm still confused about the spacers. If I were to put a spacer in place to keep the panes a certain distance apart, I would imagine that they would have to be removed an silicone put in their place to have a continuous strong seal. Also, I imagine that I need to bead the silicone on the pane of glass and then attach another pane to it rather than get the panes in place and spaced and then shoot silicone inbetween them, right???

David - I hope this works too, because this is definately becoming a pain in the ass.