help my tang is dying

fosterspike

i thought my tang had ick but now its face has brown sploches all over it and its eyes are getting cloudy. it still has white spots on it but not so much anymore.

HELP!!!

Please post your water condition test

ph

nitrate

salinity

Tank size

how long have you had this Tang

any other fish species are in this tank

A picture from camera phone will help

Please post your water condition test

ph-8.2

nitrate-1ppm

salinity-1.023

Tank size-90g but with fuge/sump about 100g actual water

how long have you had this Tang-i got it around christmas at the sale blue ribbon koi was having

any other fish species are in this tank-2 yellow tail damsels and a mandrin goby

A picture from camera phone will help

my other fish are all acting weird now and my damsels have white spots, ive been treating the tank with kick ich but i dont think its ich anymore.

the other day i left my fresh water pump on and flooded the basemeent accidentaly and it made my salinity go all the way down to 1.015 and i raised it kind of fast if that helps and i have alot of algea growing.

my other fish are all acting weird now and my damsels have white spots, ive been treating the tank with kick ich but i dont think its ich anymore.

the other day i left my fresh water pump on and flooded the basemeent accidentaly and it made my salinity go all the way down to 1.015 and i raised it kind of fast if that helps and i have alot of algea growing.

This is almost certainly ich. There are at least half a dozen threads in the last few months on several methods of treating ich. There are also several good references from Advanced Aquarist, Reefkeeping, and other sources. These are based on science, not vendors hawking their latest miravle cure for ich.

The discoloration could be the tang's natural response. The cloudy eye is probably a secondary infection. I would treat for ich first and then use antibiotics in a hospital tank if the fish still has an eye infection.

Jon

how long ago was the other day? IME, anything bad that will come from a fast change in water chemistry will happen within the first 12 hours, 48 hours max. It also seems to me that this probably doesn't have much to do with water chemistry. What are you feeding? And how often? Do all of your fish eat when you feed?

EDIT: It looks like Mr. Lazar has seen this thread, he'll sort you out better than most others, especially I could ;)

Edited by L8 2 RISE

Also, your fish is not supposed to have those marks/discolorations/holes on his head. It looks like he has head and lateral line disease. Scientists are uncertain exactly what causes this, but it appears to be related to poor nutrition and/or water quality.

Jon

It looks like ich with something else going on (most probably a secondary infection in the eye - the browning of the head area looks like the onset of LL disease though I'm not sure that it can come on so quickly).

Depending upon how long your tank was in hyposalinity, bringing it back up quickly may have been extremely hard on your fish's kidneys. Fish can tolerate a rapid drop in salinity but are much less tolerant of it going up.

My advice is get your fish out and into a quarantine setup right away. Treat them outside the main tank for a month to six weeks. A variety of treatments are available to you, including hyposalinity, copper, and methylene blue / formalin. Treatment can be stressful and you may lose some fish. It looks like, however, without action you may be at risk of losing all of your fish.

how long ago was the other day? IME, anything bad that will come from a fast change in water chemistry will happen within the first 12 hours, 48 hours max. It also seems to me that this probably doesn't have much to do with water chemistry. What are you feeding? And how often? Do all of your fish eat when you feed?

EDIT: It looks like Mr. Lazar has seen this thread, he'll sort you out better than most others, especially I could ;)

it was like 4 days ago

ive been feeding them formula 1 and 2 once or twice a day and some frozen foods every other day or so.

they havent been as much lately and ive slowed down my feeding schedule and the mandarin doesnt but he has copepods

Also, your fish is not supposed to have those marks/discolorations/holes on his head. It looks like he has head and lateral line disease. Scientists are uncertain exactly what causes this, but it appears to be related to poor nutrition and/or water quality.

i doubt there is anything you can do for this, is there?

Depending upon how long your tank was in hyposalinity, bringing it back up quickly may have been extremely hard on your fish's kidneys. Fish can tolerate a rapid drop in salinity but are much less tolerant of it going up.

it was pretty fast up and down

My advice is get your fish out and into a quarantine setup right away. Treat them outside the main tank for a month to six weeks. A variety of treatments are available to you, including hyposalinity, copper, and methylene blue / formalin. Treatment can be stressful and you may lose some fish. It looks like, however, without action you may be at risk of losing all of your fish.

ive been treating the tank with kick ich but this is like the 7th day of treatment and it looks even worse, less white spots tho

what about the mandarin goby he needs copepods?

+1

I would probably flush him at that point, but most would try to heal him.

Whatever you do, you should get him out of your main system.

tim

i probably should but what if he could survive i mean that will eat at my concience

oh yea, he had a tiny bit of brown on him for like two days and he looked better last night but all of this happened over night(the brown on its head and the other fish acting weird and the ick on the damsels)

i did a water change last night if that could possibly do something

one of my damsels die and when i moved my tang into the QT he just lied on his side for like a minute so i flushed him. :cry:

i think all my fish are dead as i have not seen my other damsel so im goiing to let my tank sit for like a month to get rid of the algea and disease. maybe i can try some corals. at least i can start over with alot more knowledge than before.

R.I.P. my tank

:cry: :cry:

ive been treating the tank with kick ich but this is like the 7th day of treatment and it looks even worse, less white spots tho

For future reference, some treatments are rendered useless in the presence of live rock and other calcium substrates. Carbon, too.

To be safe, let your tank rest six weeks before you introduce fish again.

Sorry for your loss. You're not the first to feel the sting, but the sting is no less painful. Good luck on the next go-around.

Edited by Origami2547

For future reference, some treatments are rendered useless in the presence of live rock and other calcium substrates. Carbon, too.

To be safe, let your tank rest six weeks before you introduce fish again.

Sorry for your loss. You're not the first to feel the sting, but the sting is no less painful. Good luck on the next go-around.

wait kick ick doesnt work with live rock! are you kidding me? that guy said it would work!

thanks, i was going to go 1 month but i guess six weeks would be better.

one of my damsels die and when i moved my tang into the QT he just lied on his side for like a minute so i flushed him. :cry:

i think all my fish are dead as i have not seen my other damsel so im goiing to let my tank sit for like a month to get rid of the algea and disease. maybe i can try some corals. at least i can start over with alot more knowledge than before.

R.I.P. my tank

:cry: :cry:

Just try to slowdown and be patient introducing new fish into your tank. We all go to the same process, learning curve. At least, you're here and lots of people with good knowledge to help. You're already better than most others without knowing wamas.

wait kick ick doesnt work with live rock! are you kidding me? that guy said it would work!

thanks, i was going to go 1 month but i guess six weeks would be better.

Kick Ich is not copper-based (which are the meds that are affected by the presence of live rock) and is not affected by biofiltration. It's effectiveness is reduced by carbon and skimming, though.

Somebody else here was using kick ich a few weeks ago with some fish. I don't recall their outcome, though. For some reason, I thought it was not good. Hmmm... I'll have to search to refresh my memory.

If you don't have a QT tank or follow a rigorous QT regimen, now would be the perfect time to start.

EDIT:

Where did you get this tang, anyway?

Edited by MisterTang