Starfish experiences

stevearlen

I have two tiger-banded sea stars that the previous owner of my tank let me have. They've been really awesome... except for the one random time that one climbed the glass and stuck a leg in the maxi-mod. They're mostly nocturnal, but usually hang out just underneath my rock overhangs, so I can show them off to guests.

brown/red serpent starfish and brittle starfish are easy to keep, plus they are good scavenger clean up crew. If you have enough green algae on tank walls/rocks, then keep the colorful red linckia starfish will be good.

See BZA for pixes of different starfishes:

http://www.bluezooaquatics.com/productList...id=85&did=2

I placed a Red Linkia once in my tank never saw it again. It used to hang out under this one rock. Have not seen it since. Could hermits have picked at the star fish? The tank has been running for a year when I placed him in there.

I have a blue linkia in the tank and it moves all around. Has been in tank about 8 months. Acclimated it over 4 hours using drip. Need good diatom, algae for it to do well, but no issues so far.

I have a green serpent that was banned to the sump after taking out some small fish. One got thing with a serpent, if a fish does die and is in a area where you can not get it out, it will consume it all. Only white bones left.

I have a green serpent that was banned to the sump after taking out some small fish. One got thing with a serpent, if a fish does die and is in a area where you can not get it out, it will consume it all. Only white bones left.

Green brittle stars are predatory and notorious for killing small fish, and these stars get very large. I had one that I target-fed every other day to keep it from going for fish. I would not trust anything that clings onto the roof of a cave under which fish swim - the green brittlestar I had use to conform the back side of its body to the top of the cave/archway so that when something swam under it, it could just drop right on top of potential prey.

I had a red fromia starfish which was nice until it got accidently covered in sand and was too bad off by the time I found it.

If you have pesky asterinas, a nardoa star would be a good way to get rid of them as nardoas eat asterinas.