BLUE RIBBON KOI

khalid

Hi all,

I just wanted to give everyone a warning to make sure to quarantine any fish they get from their new location. I bought a flame angle from the around december 21 and after taking him home and getting him into one of the tanks I notices he had white spots on him, Ich. :( I had been treating him to try to get healthy until last night when he died. :( No I am hoping nothing happens to my black clown that was in the same tank. Don't get me wrong I have gone to the old blue ribbon koi location many times and got some nice things, including the black clown, with no problems what so ever which is why I am so disappointed when this happened. Now I am out of a nice flame angle and $40. :( I guess this is a good time to start a quarantine tank for my self to avoid putting my current fish in any danger.

First off I would like to reccomend everyone quarintine their fish no matter where you get it from!

Second, Ich is a stress related illness that is very common when fish are moved, and is always a risk when a fish transported into a new enviornment.

Third, our current fish system is being treated the exact same way our old fish quarintine system was, hypo salinity, great water quality, and good feeding regimes, only this time we added a monster 400 w VIPER UV, which will kill any protozaon that flows through it, and that is every drop of water in this system 6 times an hour.

Fourth, come in and see me and I will work something out with you.

John

First off I would like to reccomend everyone quarintine their fish no matter where you get it from!

Second, Ich is a stress related illness that is very common when fish are moved, and is always a risk when a fish transported into a new enviornment.

Third, our current fish system is being treated the exact same way our old fish quarintine system was, hypo salinity, great water quality, and good feeding regimes, only this time we added a monster 400 w VIPER UV, which will kill any protozaon that flows through it, and that is every drop of water in this system 6 times an hour.

Fourth, come in and see me and I will work something out with you.

John

Sounds good John I'll try to swing by tomorrow and see you. Thanks for your reply.

Agree with everything John said. There is a chance the fish didn't have ich but was stressed out and got it when it moved to your system. There is also a chance he did everything he could (I have seen that UV unit and it is awesome) and there are still a few protozoans living in the system. Quarantine all new arrivals and give them lots of TLC as they make the transition. Even so, no matter what you do or where you get your fish, some will not make it. Nature of the hobby.

I bought one of those $40 tangs around the same time and after a week in QT in my own system, put in one of the cancer center tanks. It is doing great and the kids and the staff LOVE it. :biggrin:

those must be the ones Khalid got! lol :laugh:

LOL! Don't worry those suckers didn't want to die in my UV sterilizer either so it must of been a supper strain. :)

Ya I thought so as well which is why I bought it.

Me too, I got my flame angel from BRK for $39.95 :) - picked it up on the 21st. It is doing fine - which is a really good thing since I don't have a quarantine tank :(.

Jackie

Just wanted to let everyone know I swung by and saw John and he took care of me. It was the first time meeting him and he was a very nice guy!! I ended up getting a potters angle as a replacement along with a bunch of shrimp. I want to thank John again for taking care of me in this situation as many stores would not have and I really appreciate it!! :)

Just wanted to let everyone know I swung by and saw John and he took care of me. It was the first time meeting him and he was a very nice guy!! I ended up getting a potters angle as a replacement along with a bunch of shrimp. I want to thank John again for taking care of me in this situation as many stores would not have and I really appreciate it!! :)

Khalid, I agree with everything that Rascal said and would like to add that it is really important to know how to acclimate fish and corals. We as buyers have a responsibility once we take a purchase home to ensure its survival and can't expect the store we purchased from to replace every loss. It isn't realistic, they wouldn't be able to stay in business.

Know how long a fish has been at the store, know what to look for in a healthy/unhealthy fish or coral and please acclimate and quarantine correctly. (Do a search on Wamas for acclimating). Please understand I'm not implying you did anything wrong, just trying to assure you have success in the future.

Johnny, kudos for helping Khalid out. Oh, and are my fish in??????

Khalid, I agree with everything that Rascal said and would like to add that it is really important to know how to acclimate fish and corals. We as buyers have a responsibility once we take a purchase home to ensure its survival and can't expect the store we purchased from to replace every loss. It isn't realistic, they wouldn't be able to stay in business.

Know how long a fish has been at the store, know what to look for in a healthy/unhealthy fish or coral and please acclimate and quarantine correctly. (Do a search on Wamas for acclimating). Please understand I'm not implying you did anything wrong, just trying to assure you have success in the future.

Johnny, kudos for helping Khalid out. Oh, and are my fish in??????

fox face, and purple firefish, and powder blues all here! I have a hold on them for you.

john

Me too, I got my flame angel from BRK for $39.95 :) - picked it up on the 21st. It is doing fine - which is a really good thing since I don't have a quarantine tank :(.

Jackie

Dang you got yours for a nickel cheaper

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a firefish and a yellow tang from brk and they are both great fish! I used a drip acc. and they were both eating right away. I am a big fan of brk

Tim

Edited by FishyTim