Acrylic tank builders?

CHUBAKAH

I am quickly out growing my current tank 60X18X20, and am wanting to build something more like a 60X42X20 so it will fit in to the same hole I have in the wall, and add a lot more depth.

In the past the only acrylic tanks I have owned were made by TruVu out in CA, so I am trying to find someone closer to home now.

Anyone have a suggestion?

I'm also not apposed to a fiberglass tank with starphire glass on the front, if anyone can lead me in the right direction for that.

TIA,

Mark

Edited by CHUBAKAH

I am quickly out growing my current tank 60X18X20, and am wanting to build something more like a 60X42X20 so it will fit in to the same hole I have in the wall, and add a lot more depth.

In the past the only acrylic tanks I have owned were made by TruVu out in CA, so I am trying to find someone closer to home now.

Anyone have a suggestion?

I'm also not apposed to a fiberglass tank with starphire glass on the front, if anyone can lead me in the right direction for that.

TIA,

Mark

Plus one for TRUVU...they made my coral flats for me....Mark if you want another display .....just tryin to help. forget i said anything

geesh

Sean

Edited by F&Fmgr

Plus one for TRUVU...they made my coral flats for me....Mark if you want another display made they wholesale to me so i could get the tank for you at about 15% less than what they list to the public.

Sean

How much for a 48x16x24 acrylic sump?

Pm with details.

called and gave them the specs. Is a skimmer chamber 16 x 20 large enough? also standard for their sumps include filter sock holders.

I will PM w/ price.

Thanks

Sean

I won't go into the acrylic vs. glass debate for an sps tank, but here are my thoughts on fiberglass w/ glass view pane.

My fiberglass tank was custom built by a boat builder in FL, then a couple of WAMAS buddies and I put the glass in. I like my tank and wouldn't trade it for an equally sized acrylic or even all-starfire box. Mainly because of it's durability, I don't have to worry about accidentally cracking it when moving stuff around in the garage. Those of you who have seen my garage can appreciate that. Also the insulation is nice, I only need two, sometimes three, 300w heaters to keep my whole system at 76 in the winter. You may not need the insulation since yours will be indoors.

If you want to look into this route some more, the first step would be to find a source for the fiberglass. You might possibly find something prefab from an aquaculture supplier (which I doubt), or you can go custom. DIY is a possibility given your skill level, but working with fiberglass is something I will always leave to professionals simply due to the extreme mess and toxicity of the chemicals involved. This time of year is rough on small boat builders, so combined with the economy for boats, finding one who needs extra side work shouldn't be too hard.

The glass is the easy part, just get the appropriate piece ordered from one of many glass shops in the area, make sure they grind and bevel the edges though. I used black Dow 795 and some spacers to get a good silicone gasket between the glass and the fiberglass frame.

Chu,

If you decide to go acrylic, I had a very good experience with Tenecor. I purchased through one of their local dealers (they do not have that many) to avoid some of the shipping challenges.

If you plan to be in the Vienna/Oakton area, you are welcome to see the product.

Steve

Just to follow up, I contacted Piedmont plastics to see if they could build this tank, and got a nice email back from them with a list of local vendors who could build this for me. The company that I am talking to is Precision Plastics - (301) 937-1317 in Beltsville, MD. Turns out they built 20+ tanks for the Baltimore aquarium, including a list of jelly fish tanks.

Anyway, just thought I would throw that out there for anyone looking for a acrylic tank.

Edited by CHUBAKAH

Just to follow up, I contacted Piedmont plastics to see if they could build this tank, and got a nice email back from them with a list of local vendors who could build this for me. The company that I am talking to is Precision Plastics - (301) 937-1317 in Beltsville, MD. Turns out they built 20+ tanks for the Baltimore aquarium, including a list of jelly fish tanks.

Anyway, just thought I would throw that out there for anyone looking for a acrylic tank.

How are their prices?

How are their prices?

They are about $600 cheaper than the quote I got from my previous builder in CA. I have one other quote to get from a company sent to me from Piedmont, and I'll let you know.

I was very impressed with the builder I spoke to, and he was very careful to explain what they do, that most tank builders don't simply because they don't have the equipment, which was to bake the entire tank which bonds the seams tighter, and eliminates any air bubbles, and what not...

Don't quote me, but I believe he told me this adds about 13% more strength to the seams.

I'm not really looking for the cheapest tank, but I want something that is going to last me the rest of my life.

BTW, this is not a company that does a ton of tanks, and normally does larger commercial projects, so I wouldn't compare them to your everyday aquarium builder.

Edited by CHUBAKAH

seems your happy, but got this in the mail:

TENECOR AFTER CHRISTMAS SALE - 25% OFF!!!

25% OFF on standard rectangle show tanks DECEMBER 26th thru JANUARY 5th

For a very limited time only, Tenecor is offering Show Tanks under 200 Gallons for 25% off list price.

We know times are tough and you've held off buying, but now is your chance to get the best tank in the industry at the best price.

Call now to contact our sales experts... 602-249-8276 or email Sales@Tenecor.com

SIZE Retail NOW ONLY!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

50 Gal 36x15x20 $257 $192

55 Gal 36x18x20 $282 $211

55 Gal 48x13x20 $320 $240

60 Gal 48x15x18 $348 $261

55 Gal 36x15x24 $412 $309

75 Gal 60x18x16 $447 $335

75 Gal 48x15x24 $502 $377

65 Gal 36x18x24 $538 $404

100 Gal 48x24x20 $610 $458

100 Gal 60x18x20 $610 $458

75 Gal 48x15x24 $632 $474

90 Gal 48x18x24 $642 $481

70 Gal 36x15x30 $713 $535

85 Gal 36x18x30 $764 $573

125 Gal 60x18x24 $821 $616

120 Gal 48x24x24 $837 $628

125 Gal 72x18x20 $874 $655

150 Gal 60x24x24 $936 $702

150 Gal 72x24x20 $936 $702

120 Gal 48x18x30 $947 $710

95 Gal 48x15x30 $975 $731

130 Gal 72x18x24 $1,038 $778

140 Gal 60x18x30 $1,121 $841

180 Gal 72x24x24 $1,141 $856

150 Gal 48x24x30 $1,152 $864

170 Gal 72x18x30 $1,495 $1,121

185 Gal 60x24x30 $1,526 $1,144

No Customizations other than the addition of background color, feed holes, overflows, or standpipes are allowed.

Dealers, please contact Tenecor's Sales Manager Dennis Hipp at 602-249-8276

Thanks Doug, I'll add them to my list of people to get a quote from.

Plus one for TRUVU...they made my coral flats for me....Mark if you want another display .....just tryin to help. forget i said anything

geesh

Sean

Why did you edit your post, and post what you did?

Why did you edit your post, and post what you did?

Put it to rest cowboy, thought i was doin you a favor but didnt know it wasnt allowed. just leave it at that.

Put it to rest cowboy, thought i was doin you a favor but didnt know it wasnt allowed. just leave it at that.

You know what they say about assuming right?

Wasn't you homes.

;)

Hehehe... I can imagine what happened. We seem to frequently run into the hobbyist/vendor dichotomy problems here.

bob

Hehehe... I can imagine what happened. We seem to frequently run into the hobbyist/vendor dichotomy problems here.

bob

It goes back to the Mr. Coral price thread. Chewy had issues with the prices. Then people thought there was issues with vendors posting prices. I believe Sean removed the price from the post so he didn't violate any rules and put people's panties in a bunch. Then Chewy, asked Sean why he did that. Then I think Sean & Chewy got signals crossed being on the interwebs....gotta love how the interwebs work.

Then again I could be completely wrong, but that's how I read it :) That's why I thought the other thread should have been closed because of the mixed signals. Then it was eventually closed.

Then again I could be completely wrong, but that's how I read it :) That's why I thought the other thread should have been closed because of the mixed signals. Then it was eventually closed.

Who is on first.

Back on topic!

:hammer:

Fixing wires

Piedmont is right about Precision Plastics but, they did not do the Jelly Fish Tanks as I was working there when that exhibit was done. They however did do the Seahorse exhibit tanks of which I built some of them. Unless its a monster tank the B aquarium used them a lot but, that was many years ago.

(edited)
Piedmont is right about Precision Plastics but, they did not do the Jelly Fish Tanks as I was working there when that exhibit was done. They however did do the Seahorse exhibit tanks of which I built some of them. Unless its a monster tank the B aquarium used them a lot but, that was many years ago.

You know what Jeff, I stand corrected. They did tell me Sea Horse tanks and I completely got that wrong. Thank's for correcting me on that.

Edited by CHUBAKAH

Get a jelly tank :). You'd be the only one in the hobby locally with one!

Actually Darren (not sure of his screen name) but, he has a Jelly Tank.

About 10 years ago, I knew this guy, Wendell Davis of Vienna, that put one of these tanks in his living room. He had to place a steel I-beam under the floor joists to support it.

Anyone here know Wendell?

Edited by zygote2k