December 6th Meeting

zoozilla

I didn't expect

That many people to be there today..actually I didn't even think there was that many members cuz I rarely ever see more than 20 at a time that are active..

All in all I had a great time even though I only stayed for 20 minutes into Calfo's talk...I hope

I didn't miss out on much...

This was my first meeting. Met a bunch of nice people, hope to get to know them better. It is true that the membership pay's for itself really quick. I got alot of nice corals today. Thanks again had a great time. Anthony gave a good presentation. :clap:

I, too, really enjoyed hearing Anthony speak. He gave me a perspective on the hobby that I had not really appreciated beforehand but will try to think more about from here on out.

Thanks for pulling this one together, WAMAS execs.

Nice seeing you all as well. (Lynn, give my best to your wife. She's in my prayers. And, I hope the drive home was easy.)

I, too, really enjoyed hearing Anthony speak. He gave me a perspective on the hobby that I had not really appreciated beforehand but will try to think more about from here on out.

Thanks for pulling this one together, WAMAS execs.

Nice seeing you all as well. (Lynn, give my best to your wife. She's in my prayers. And, I hope the drive home was easy.)

It got a little slippery once i got to Fredericksburg, eight wrecks from there to my house (30 miles). We appreciate all the prayers. Anna say's she hope's to meet you soon.

Pardon the camera phone photos but it's all I had with me!

Anthony Calfo's speech was great and I'm sure most of us left with a new perspective on the future of the hobby.

img011.jpg

img008.jpg

Over 100 people attended at least part of the meeting and all of the seats were filled (we could have brought in more chairs if needed).

img013.jpg

img014.jpg

As always, there was lots of discussion and socializing in the hallways.

img020.jpg

img017.jpg

img019.jpg

img015.jpg

img016.jpg

Special thanks to all of the WAMAS Sponsoring Vendors for the fantastic raffle prizes!

img022.jpg

And Jean-Marie really wanted his picture taken...so here it is!

img018.jpg

Great Meeting, It was really nice meeting and talking to everyone today. Anthony Calfo was a really nice guy to talk with, I also could have sat and listened to him for hours, I had a great time and I hope to see you all again soon.

You guys should video tape speakers next time and post them so members can see if they couldn't make it.

Bob,

Any chance we can get the presentation and pin it?

Maureen

someone video taped it, I'm not sure who, but I saw the camera...

yea i saw that too. Anyone know if the video will be availbe on the site. I had to skip out a little early and would love to hear what else anthony had to speak about and i agree. Definately gave me a new perspective on the hobby...well adiction....haha.

Curious what this new perspective is some people are talking about?

Anyone care to elaborate?

sustainable reefing and policing the industry with our knowledge and dollars. great ideas of fragging techniques. just a little that i took from it. and how devastating aquacultered live rock is to the area it is created in.

Well for me it was just looking at the hobby for a larger perspective and the impact the hobby has on our natural environment, the good and the bad...

Thinking about how involved (or not involved) regulatory agencies can/could be.

And also knowing that we as hobbiest have a say in what is acceptable and what is not in the hobby.

It was also interested to think that hey what if our supplies were unable to manufacture certain products anymore. Something as simple as a pump could be devastating to the hobby and possibly domino down to the supply of the worlds fish and corals....

I have always leaned on the side that what we are doing is great and how we can actually add the supply of corals that could potentially become extint in the natural env but yet possibly build a sustainable env for them in our homes; possibly one day reintroducing them to the wild, just crazy/random thoughts....

Another thing i was thinking about the other day was how just from learning how to breed clownfish in captivity has probably added great diversity to their species. I for one have been on many dives and have never seen an all white perc or some of the crazy patterns that have evolved, have u? : )

The consumer / hobbyist role in sustaining the hobby through legislation that may close the doors on exotic imports, including corals; sustainable reefing; the legislative loophole and environmental impact of South Pacific aquacultured rock (Since there are limits on the exports of live rock, some suppliers blow up reefs for raw material, grind it and use it in the manufacture of aquacultured rock for which there are no export quotas. This circumvention of the intent of the trade law has devastating impact to the reefs and is done at the expense of a large carbon footprint as well.); how to improve the saltwater aquarium industry through coordination of hobbyist fraggers, and club action and inter-club coordination to both sustainably farm livestock and to influence supplier chain of custody (wholesalers & retailers); and the importance of halide / fluorescent bulb recycling (Did you know that the typical halide bulb contains 200x the mercury of a normal fluorescent tube?).

That's what I recall at least. It was a very interesting topic and well delivered.

And a big "thank you" to Dan (zoozilla), Tom(oragami), Mike (ousnakebite), and everyone else that helped with setup/teardown. Also Gary (glopez) for manning the raffle table for a while. We'll never turn down offers to help. :)

I did record the talk (I think I pushed the right button?) , and will try to import it to a file that is accessible for the members, but must ask Anthony for permission first.

And a big "thank you" to Dan (zoozilla), Tom(oragami), Mike (ousnakebite), and everyone else that helped with setup/teardown. Also Gary (glopez) for manning the raffle table for a while. We'll never turn down offers to help. :)

I did record the talk (I think I pushed the right button?) , and will try to import it to a file that is accessible for the members, but must ask Anthony for permission first.

its GaryL :) no worries on the help. i'm usually there to do so. was a great meeting just wish i could of stayed longer...i could of told anthony what the auto industry (as far as auto technicians) did to keep government out of retail automotive with the ASE program.

(edited)

Anytime, Doug. Glad to help where I can.

Edited by zoozilla

That's my tank and you know it! :lol2:

It was great seeing you again yesterday. I think that's what I enjoy most about the quarterly meetings, getting together with friends you haven't seen in months.

That's my tank and you know it! :lol2:

It was great seeing you again yesterday. I think that's what I enjoy most about the quarterly meetings, getting together with friends you haven't seen in months.

or years

Then you need to make it to more of our meetings!

only maybe a few people..like 2 maybe in the year,

Jean Marie is a ham. i think you can see him the the glass drilling demo video i took at the frag fest. but he makes it fun.