Recommendation for nano tank?

Norboo

Recommendation for nano tank

I want to start a small all in one tank and wanted to know what tank is reliable and has least amount of modifications.

I have several larger tanks running and fully equipped to handle most problems that might arise.

I am looking for a good brand that runs fairly silent for the bedroom. As to what I want in the tank, live rocks, pair of clowns, anemone and few corals.

As for the size, it really doesn't matter as long as it is small enough for the bedroom. 12 to 30 gal perhaps.

Edited by Norboo

I run a 14 gallon biocube and have had good success. Only really necessary modifications I made were to remove some of the wet-dry filter elements (bio-balls, sponge, grating) in the back chambers.

As for other recommended mods, replacing the stock filter with a maxi-jet 900 lowered the temperature and increased the flow, and that was a very simple modification.

I hear some Biocubes have the ballasts die pretty quickly due to supplier problems. I think I had heard the aquapods had leak problems. Definitely google around and get lots of opinions/information, because there could be problems with any of the brands depending on their suppliers.

Also, you might want to investigate nanotuners.com. They have upgrade kits as well as upgraded all in one systems, in case you'd like to increase the lights for keeping more demanding corals. I used one of their upgrade kits to add a third 24W PC bulb to my system and I didn't have too much trouble with it.

I have a 12 JBJ Classic which is what started me in the hobby. I did a number of mods that weren't necessary, the new models (the DX) have better lighting, flow, and some other features.

I've actually encouraged my roommate to pick one up since they're all around good tanks.

Wally's is having a big sale on all-in-ones, they've cut the prices on all the models and they're including salt, additives, and flake food with the purchase.

Also, you might want to investigate nanotuners.com. They have upgrade kits as well as upgraded all in one systems, in case you'd like to increase the lights for keeping more demanding corals. I used one of their upgrade kits to add a third 24W PC bulb to my system and I didn't have too much trouble with it.

I would recommend you do any modifications yourself and steer clear of Nanotuners, they've always had a ridiculous markup on their equipment. They charge somewhere around ~600 for an HQI but for the price you can buy a nice HQI pendant or you can build your own.

I'd highly recommend you join http://www.nano-reef.com/ you'll find loads of good information from those guys.

We have two BioCube 8 nanos and love them. They have been working very well for us stock out of the box. The only mod I made was to remove the bioballs and add a heater. No idea if it could support an anemone with stock lighting.. but zoas and lps have done well.

How hot does it get in your room... I needed a chiller:( anyway try deciding what it is you want to grow for instance I have both a red bubble tip and a few torch/hammer corals the clownfish like both.. H-E-double hockey sticks they love xenia when I had it...anemoies need a high grade of skimmer and probably lighting.. not sure about whats on the market now

I took the lid off my cube and add a 250watt metal halide and 2 65 watt compacts during the summer I turn the halide on 1 hour a day and use the compacts during the winter the metal halide heats the water in the tank... anyway heat is a huge problem in my house and a basement is much diffrent then a bed room..... oh and a heads up you may want to put in a foutain first so that you can learn to sleep with trickling water most of the cubes have that as a feature...

my other advice is watch what you put in because you can't get some of the larger herbivorous fish to eat macro I've got macro growing on my rock and it came in as a single strand hitch hiking its way to freedom! I got my tank from nanotuners a few years ago so I know they've been around and thats usually a good sign.... my other advice which some people may say is controversail is that I've been buying used since I bought new I spent over 1000 on the orginal setup.. Used is alot less and vinegar and scrubbing goes along way... I even learned to cure rock:) anyway I've seen a few nanos and the best seemed to be the ones that don't skimp on the start up costs and then slowly build thier livestock over time....with careful planning anyway I wrote a book best wishes Troy

What is the best temp for a 29 gal oceanic bio cube. i have a buble tip anemone and hammer and ricordea and few other good stufss. Currently my temp is 82.6

• 4 weeks later...

I just set up a 24 Aquapod with a MJ900 utility return pump and Koralia 1 powerhead. It's in my bedroom, and is practically silent.

RicSG, if your livestock looks happy I'm sure you're fine. I try to keep my 90 between 78 and 80 (with a chiller), and am going to have to figure out how to do the same with the nano without spending a fortune on another chiller.

What is the best temp for a 29 gal oceanic bio cube. i have a buble tip anemone and hammer and ricordea and few other good stufss. Currently my temp is 82.6

Yours is running a little on the high end. My B29 runs at about 80.1 w/heater, but I did the 3x36 mod and fan upgrade from nanotuners.