Starfish

Hilary

I got a mottled blue starfish as a hitchhiker on one of the corals I bought from Howard a couple of months ago. I came home a week or two ago to find it stretched out across my cleaning magnet. One arm was stretched completely out, almost like it was trying to pull out a cramp. Next time I look the arm is still there, but the rest of the starfish had moved to another part of the tank (and is still moving around - seems fine). I didn't know if it had gotten stuck and pulled itself free, if it was sick, or what. Yuck, reminder to self to dispose of arm..... Forgot about it until I noticed that the arm was gone. Must have floated off and become crab food - less work for me. Now it's back on the magnet, and has been moving around all day. Eeewwwww. Just in time for Halloween, too. I've read that while most reproduce sexually, some types of starfish will divide and as long as part of the central ring is still attached it will grow into a new starfish. Should be interesting!

The dalmation/linkia multifora are known to drop legs in captivity and re grow new starfish. I have several varieties that are now multiples.

http://www.bluezooaquatics.com/productDeta...1266&cid=85

George

Unfortunately, asterinas reproduce in this way all of the time. I sometimes see arms of them on the glass moving around.

Unfortunately, asterinas reproduce in this way all of the time. I sometimes see arms of them on the glass moving around.

I second that as well. But I like my Asteria there a great clean up crew.

I second that as well. But I like my Asteria there a great clean up crew.

Yeah, until there population exceeds the food and the all turn into scavengers. I woke up one morning to a group of them devouring one of my dendro polyps. A harlequin shrimp pair have put an end to that :biggrin:

If anyone has a shortage of Asterina starfish, I have a few I can spare... please order no fewer than 100 at a time. That is about the minimum that I suck off the glass at each water change. Who knows why my 58-gallon tank has become the fabled asterina breeding grounds.

bob

Hey George - thanks! That is exactly what I have (Dalmation Linckia). Glad to see that it's normal for the species (and it's a lot prettier than asterinas!). I'll try to take a clear picture, but at this point it's a 2" blue and red starfish arm hanging out on the cleaning magnet.... :biggrin:

Hey George - thanks! That is exactly what I have (Dalmation Linckia). Glad to see that it's normal for the species (and it's a lot prettier than asterinas!). I'll try to take a clear picture, but at this point it's a 2" blue and red starfish arm hanging out on the cleaning magnet.... :biggrin:

Come on, its almost Halloween. We need some GORE on this site!!! Show the carnage!!

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to post an update. I periodically see the "mother" starfish - it's doing fine. And today I spotted the "leg" - it has brand new little legs growing out of it. Glad to see that it's doing well!

Just wanted to post an update. I periodically see the "mother" starfish - it's doing fine. And today I spotted the "leg" - it has brand new little legs growing out of it. Glad to see that it's doing well!

Cool - but I think I saw the movie version...

bob