Help A Crack

civitan.erichanson

I was just sitting here watching TV and heard a drip. On further investibation I just noted that the front right corner of my tank has a crack in the the fake wood. There is water slowly coming out of it.... and dripping.

It now looks as if the front area behind the fake wood is also wet.

Can I rip that stuff off and seal the leak ? I also just put a level on it, its slightly off level front to back. Tank has been up since May.

Not going to be a good weekend.

go to Home Depot ASAP and get a few plastic tubs. Empty the contents of your tank completely. It may be possible to find and seal the leak later. However, a leak definitely can not be sealed from the outside.

Yep, outlook not good. A crack in glass isn't worth fixing. Time for a new tank and if you are getting a new one, might as well get a bigger new one.

See, it's that easy.

I assume by fake wood you mean the trim. You didn't mention if there is a crack in the actual glass, so I'd recommend going the route chucelli noted - drain into tubs then try to remove the trim and see if the seal can be repaired.

If there is no center brace you can just remove the rim completely I would assume just be extremely careful and use a razor and don't get impatient at any point and try to whack the rim with anything (i say this from exp.) If there is no actual crack in the glass you don't even have to drain your tank all the way. Just take the water level down a few inches from the rim scrape off the leaking siliconed area, then reapply silicone wait 24-ish hours for it to dry refill and enjoy. If the tank does have a center brace i would drain the tank before attempting to remove the rim.

I think he means that the bottom trim is cracked. Drain the entire tank and remove the base trim. If it's not cracked, you can try to level it and then reseal it by removing as much of the silicone as you can. My guess is that you'll need to do more than that, though, as it sounds like the silicone joining the glass has pulled apart and you'll need to reseal the entire panel (that is if it's not cracked).

Part of every reefer's emergency equipment should be an upgrade plan! What size tank, what skimmer/pumps/lighting/etc to run it, where all the holes are drilled, stand and hood design, etc. That way when you have a major crisis like this and decide you might as well upgrade, you've already thought things through and don't make mistakes because of the self-imposed pressure to get a new tank together.

Jon

I was just sitting here watching TV and heard a drip. On further investibation I just noted that the front right corner of my tank has a crack in the the fake wood. There is water slowly coming out of it.... and dripping.

It now looks as if the front area behind the fake wood is also wet.

Can I rip that stuff off and seal the leak ? I also just put a level on it, its slightly off level front to back. Tank has been up since May.

Not going to be a good weekend.

I think he is indicating on the bottom. Which in any case your better off upgrading. Were did you obtain the tank?