Outlaw's 120g build

OK, ok......I know I said that the 90 was the last tank build. BUT......because I'm able to use the same stand and canopy my wife allowed me to replace the 90g with hang on sump with a 120g. Yauger is coming over tomorrow to give me a hand and it should be a pretty quick switch out. Pictures to come.

Steve adding/replacing a tank.....somehow I think that will have a calming effect on the world. Serenity is close at hand and all is right with the world.

Steve,

I can assume that you did get the 120g home. If you need additional help, please let me know.

Ron - Yep......I got the tank home and painted this past week. Josh Yauger helped me break down the 90g and get the 120g setup yesterday. I've been busy getting all of the plumbing taken care of so I haven't had time to take any pics. I should have some up tomorrow. Thanks for the offer to help.

Steve you switch more tanks than chip switches thongs

Ok, that's just nasty. Not the image I wanted burned into my memory.

Here are some pics of the tank now that the dust has settled a little. I'm pretty happy with the aquascaping since I did it with no lights on and the water too murky to see what I was doing!!

FTS

120gReef004.jpg

Left side

120gReef005.jpg

Middle

120gReef007.jpg

Right side

120gReef006.jpg

Sump

120gReef009.jpg

I'll post more once I get the light fixture mounted in my canopy.

Looking good man. Where'd you get that light from?

Thanks James. The light is an Aquactinics Solar Flare (the one powered by Icecap). I got it off a guy on RC for a killer price. I think I'm going to have to play with the bulb combination to get a bluer look.

Nice aquascaping

very nice...u happy with the flare?

Extremely happy.

Looking good, you should get that beautiful RBTA out of the corner

I'm going to try to turn that rock this week.

That really looks nice Steve. Is the coral bothered by the RBTA at all?

Yes......actually there are 3 RBTAs attached to that rock and none of them will move.

I've heard of two different methods. Aiming a powerhead at the foot or gently prying your fingernail under the foot. I'd think the risk of hurting the anem is much worse if you try prying it up. I've also heard that you can hold a bag of ice against it's foot, but that doesn't sound like a good idea IMO.

I have two very sick BTA's at the moment that I'm giving to Dave Lin so he can see if he can get them to recover. The original was never really healthy, (bought it bleached) and it's been in a steady decline now for months. Long, long split - I finally took a razer (per Ozzie at BRK suggestion) and slit the final flesh. Both anems moved away from each other and have yet to fill out. One won't come out from under the rock.

I'll be pulling the rock either monday or tuesday during a water change and plan to try the powerhead method to get them off. I'll let you know how it goes.

First in line for a RBTA! ;)

Edited by Sugar Magnolia

• 2 weeks later...

Steve, looking great. i also am almost done transfering my 72 over to a 120. Curious what is holding up the frag rack.

(edited)

Curious what is holding up the frag rack.

It's all gravity, leverage.......and luck!

The frag-rack is glued to a magfloat.

Edited by steveoutlaw

• 3 weeks later...

Looking good and lots of room for the corals to grow out. keep the pics coming.