capsfan's 2.5g AIO pico reef build thread

capsfan

Lookin good. How about adding some small leathers or gorgonians or similar, something that grows out, away from the rock to add some depth. Also, If you're going to the fragfest, I can try to bring you a few small zoa frags.

I do want to add some diversity to the tank and leathers may be the way to go. They will have to be pretty small though.

Unfortunately, I will probably not be going to fragfest, but thanks for the offer.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks good! The corals have grown nicely and the coraline has taken off. How's the 55 doing? Have you gotten a handle on the hair algae?

The hair algae is sort of under control. There are a couple patches here and there, but it doesn't look terrible anymore. I really have to clean it up though. Right now the tank looks terrible as a whole.

I went to Mr Coral on Saturday and got some new frags and a BBQ Sandwich (which was pretty good). I got some zoas and a ric. I also got my first stony corals. Hopefully I will be able to keep them alive. I also got a tiny fish that is only about an inch long. He is pretty timid so I have not gotten a picture of him yet. Okay, enough of me babbling... On to the pics!

New FTS

gallery_2631686_466_1403045.jpg

New Greens

gallery_2631686_466_722339.jpg

New Zoa Cluster

gallery_2631686_466_253997.jpg

Another zoa Cluster

gallery_2631686_466_561489.jpg

My first Ric

gallery_2631686_466_694554.jpg

Zoas

gallery_2631686_466_657188.jpg

Monti

gallery_2631686_466_951036.jpg

SPS

gallery_2631686_466_309921.jpg

That looks great!! Good job on the pico, unbelievable what some people can do with 2.5 gallons!!!

It is fun sized!

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

Little delayed, but here is the side FTS. Sorry about the quality. My dad took the awesome new camera with him on a business trip. :sad:

gallery_2631686_466_1024526.jpg

EDIT: Also, I got a neat little porcelain crab!

Edited by capsfan

(edited)

Thanks guys! I am hoping I can get my hands on the blue hornets at my lfs and grow them out in the tank.

EDIT: I am also going to try to get my hands on some purple hornets, tubbs blues, and darth mauls

to spice the tank up a bit. I love zoanthids! :biggrin:

Edited by capsfan

If you ever get out to a meeting I can give you some tubbs blues :lol2:. They're incredibly fast growing. I bought a $15 frag 5-6 months ago, if I sell what I have now at the same price per polyp, it's at least $200. Good luck getting a purple hornet for less than $100 a polyp, but I think blue hornets, and purples if you get them, would look really nice in that tank.

If you ever get out to a meeting I can give you some tubbs blues :lol2:. They're incredibly fast growing. I bought a $15 frag 5-6 months ago, if I sell what I have now at the same price per polyp, it's at least $200. Good luck getting a purple hornet for less than $100 a polyp, but I think blue hornets, and purples if you get them, would look really nice in that tank.

Yeah, I think I may be able to get a polyp of Purples from someone in the area and I saw some blues at the store, so I hope I can get some. I don't know when I may get down to a meeting, but thanks for the offer.

Just got home from XC practice and found my porcelain crab dead/molted? I don't know which one it is, but it could be dead. :cry: I hope he just molted.

+1 on the molt. They also tend to molt when introduced to a new environment, so that would make sense.

I sure hope so. I am going to take out the molt/possible body and see.

(edited)

Unfortunately, I think the crab is a gonner. I'm sad that he is gone. He was so neat.

Anyway, here are some random pics of my tank.

FTS

Copy_of_7-16-09_002.jpg

Side FTS

Copy_of_7-16-09_007.jpg

Zoas

Copy_of_7-16-09_008.jpg

Edited by capsfan

• 2 weeks later...

My green zoas in the upper left of my tank are not opening. They just don't want to open! :angry: What gives!

Some of the cream zoas I picked up were not opening either. When I tried to remove them, the polyps would burst in my hand. Now they are getting some gross brown stuff on them. Any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...