Brightwell Aquatics NeoZeo Method [Long Read] but worth it

CHUBAKAH

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

carbon dosing is carbon dosing why not the diy way.....This hobby has come a long way....mostly because of diyers not these companys.......A BOTTLE OF VOLKA/VINAGER AND SUGER are pretty cheap....There are tons of threads on quite a few sites just on this method.....If this works why would you buy the same thing at a markup of 10000 percent.....Most people do add biodigest to be safe.....4 years on 2 different setups with out biodigest.....I ADD oyster eggs and black power nightly......so far so good

Grav, send me your email address. GaryL on the way.

Hey, I still want the info... :wig:

Have you sent me your email address?

Available at AquaCO is the entire document, thanks Mark!!!!

We just moved out of the two week, Micro-Bacter Loading Stage. Time for the Zeo Exchange and the Carbon source!!!

I will post progress. One note, bleached corals are regaining color this week!

Available at AquaCO is the entire document, thanks Mark!!!!

We just moved out of the two week, Micro-Bacter Loading Stage. Time for the Zeo Exchange and the Carbon source!!!

I will post progress. One note, bleached corals are regaining color this week!

You know what Sean, I was going to mention that to you today when I was there. I had two pieces that were bleaching on me, and since I started using this, the bleaching has stopped, or at least it has appeared that way. I hope to get some shots this weekend, and put the progress of these as I move forward.

PS Your Welcome

:cheers:

Edited by CHUBAKAH

You know what Sean, I was going to mention that to you today when I was there. I had two pieces that were bleaching on me, and since I started using this, the bleaching has stopped, or at least it has appeared that way. I hope to get some shots this weekend, and put the progress of these as I move forward.

PS Your Welcome

thats good news..hopefully this is the answer to your problem Mark..

Since i'm running this system on the 120 i wont see any results until i transfer over...

Nice post I thought others may be interested to hear.

Long have I waited in hopeful anticipation of what Brightwell had to say. While the "NeoZeo Method" manual is a disappointment, it is perhaps worth noting that it does touch upon four concepts/realms that may turn out to represent major, positive evolutions in the way that carbon dosing products are marketed ... and discussed online.

First ... the attempted range and depth of the document itself. Despite a few glaring technical errors, and the reduction of several critical concepts into marketing buzzwords and techno-jargon babble, a respectful tip of my reefkeping hat to Brightwell for even attempting it in the first place. The "NeoZeo Method" manual attempts a level of detailed explanation that all of its competitors have purposely chosen, with malice aforethought ... to avoid. Brightwell deserves high marks for injecting important vocabulary and concepts into the marketplace.

Second ... the Brightwell manual has evolved the explanation of how zeolithic media is behaving in natural & artificial seawater away from the "selective preference" ion-exchange marketing hype-mythology, towards the concept of "selectivity". While this may seem like trivia to most, it actually represents a major evolution in the discussion. Boomer (and others) long ago pointed out (... and extensively documented ...) that the short-term, limited affinity of zeolithic media for ammonia in the presence of competing cations was in direct conflict to the marketing claims that were (... and continue to be ...) claimed by the manufacturers and distributors of zeolithic media filters for marine application. Short-term affinity? ... you bet. Meaningful long-term ammonia exchange? ... this has been documented repeatedly to not be the case, and manufacturer claims of "special" properties and in-house "research" don't pass the laugh test.

Third ... the Brightwell manual presents meaningful insight into the design & operation of alternative style vessels to house, feed, and physically manipulate the biofilms present on zeolithic media. The movement of the conversation away from "reactors" towards the concept of specialized, fluidized bed filters is a major step forward, and has the potential to empower hobbyists with "new" DIY configuration possibilities. Nice.

Fourth ... the introduction of "proportionality" as the conceptual framework for mixing products from different manufacturers is a significant leap forward within the realm of dosing strategies. The introduction of an across the board calculation framework (... albeit cumbersome with some annoying math ...) holds the potential to (A) free hobbyists of the perceived need for "dosing gurus", and (B) evolve a framework which will allow hobbyists to more easily & effectively communicate the results of their formulae experimentation to the larger community. Again ... nice.

carbon dosing is carbon dosing why not the diy way.....This hobby has come a long way....mostly because of diyers not these companys.......A BOTTLE OF VOLKA/VINAGER AND SUGER are pretty cheap....There are tons of threads on quite a few sites just on this method.....If this works why would you buy the same thing at a markup of 10000 percent.....Most people do add biodigest to be safe.....4 years on 2 different setups with out biodigest.....I ADD oyster eggs and black power nightly......so far so good

When vodka, vinegar, and/or sugar are used, you're not only boosting good bacteria, but bacteria at the same time. The non-diy methods introduce beneficial bacteria to the system. I don't really see where people think prodibio is expensive. I am running it for about $15 a month. Dosing couldn't be more basic.

When vodka, vinegar, and/or sugar are used, you're not only boosting good bacteria, but bacteria at the same time. The non-diy methods introduce beneficial bacteria to the system. I don't really see where people think prodibio is expensive. I am running it for about $15 a month. Dosing couldn't be more basic.

what are you dosing? just reef booster and bioclean?

what are you dosing? just reef booster and bioclean?

BioDigest and BioOptim, so yes, BioClean. I don't need to get into reef booster just yet as my system has only been up since May. I only have a few corals at this point, but will start the heavy stocking in Dec./Jan. I think I'm going to dose Zeovit Aminos instead of reefbooster. I've read some good stuff on that combination. I guess since Reefbooster is dosed weekly, that could add to the expense since one would go through that twice as fast as the Digest and Optim. I'm all ears on all of these methods, since I think we are in our infancy with these methods/products. I'm just on the Prodibio bandwagon for now and wanted to comment that you can do it pretty inexpensively. NeoZeo looks interesting too, especially when you guys are talking about bleaching corals regaining some color in a weeks time. That's awesome!

At least for the time being, I have added a link under my signature where you can download the file if you are interested.

WHAT YOU WANT TO do is get your tanks nitrates under .005 or lower....THe best way and cheapest and the longest track record belongs to voldka dosing......but how ever you get your levels this low then you add bcaas[you get these from a vit shop not from a vender] and add food for your corals....oyster eggs or a home brew....It really is so simple why buy aminos from a company ...you can have your nitrates tested at aquarium watertesting .com.....all of these system work great but so does volka ....just better....the bacs produced buy volka keep your corals very happy....good luck to all...happy carbon dosing

n/m

Edited by CHUBAKAH

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone following along, this was taken from RC today from another member there who is going this direction:

by sammy33

I decided to go full tilt neoZeo. I already have a good number of the supplements mentioned in the manual so I only needed to buy the neozeo media, Microbacter7 (MB7) and Reef Biofuel (RBF).

I also picked up a few other supplements including KoralColor and KoralleVM both seem to be trace element supplements.

neo-zeo-media.jpg

NeoZeo media came in a box and I divided the media into 5 zipbags of about the same weight volume for the 5 week slow introduction of media. For a media reactor I am using a Eheim 2026 canister filter leftover from my freshwater tank. :D

The Eheim has an easily adjustable flow so you can crank it up every few days to blow the bio film off the zeo stones. You then set the flow at about 100 gph for normal operation. This is recommended in the manual or you can also use a traditional zeo reactor.

The slow introduction of the neozeo media may not be entirely necessary on my system as I have been using Prodibio on my reef for about 6 months driving towards an ULNS. I am still going to take it slow with neozeo.

bw-inorganic.jpg

Inorganic stuff - primary elements and the Koralcolor is a blend of trace elements. Potassium is underrated IMHO.

bw-organic.jpg

Organic supplements for neoZeo - MB7 and RBF are the microbe/enzymes and the carbon source when combined with the neoZeo media form the basis for this system. Ultra low nutrients are the result allowing the addition of lotsa coral food - KoralleVM, ReefSnow and Amino Acids.

Many other things mentioned in the neozeo manual but this is my brightwell collection so far. I have one dose of Biodigest left from my Prodibio and wil do that most likely today when I add the first batch of neozeo media to the eheim.

Edited by CHUBAKAH

• 2 weeks later...

So, I just wanted to follow up, and see what others think? I know I emailed this out to at least 25 people, and it was downloaded several times by others.

Anyone decided to give this route a try?

0053.gif

I started using bioptim and biodigest a month ago, and using reef booster slightly longer. I can't tell yet if the combination of bioptim and biodigest has any effect on the reduction of the green hair algae in my tank yet. I heard that it takes time so I will keep an open mind and wait it out. If after another couple of months down the road and things are still looking roughly the same as where they're at now, I will switch over and give it a try. One thing that is a certain is the reef booster. It definitely brings out the colors of my corals. All the corals seems to be extremely healthy.

Hey Mark,

I am starting my 3rd week now. I will keep you posted how it goes...

Dave

So I heard. Let me know when you get your balling pump in. I'd like to stop by and check it out, and see your progress!

Not yet, I have not read it top to bottom but I do not think I have room for the addtional equipment. I just installed a fuge want to see what that does.

Thank for the PDF.

Eric.

So, I just wanted to follow up, and see what others think? I know I emailed this out to at least 25 people, and it was downloaded several times by others.

Anyone decided to give this route a try?

0053.gif